Taste in mouth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TheUnk311

Taste in mouth

#1 Post by TheUnk311 »

I'm getting this annoying taste near the back of one of my banded molars. I've flossed back there and cleaned carefully to see if any food was stuck but none.. No matter what I do I can't get the taste to go away and it's driving me nuts! Any ideas what's up?

JeepGirl

#2 Post by JeepGirl »

TheUnk311,

I've experienced the same wierd taste after getting one of my molars banded. I just try to really floss a lot around the band and use mouth wash to get rid of the funky taste. I think probably more food is prone to getting "stuck" up there especially since they used spacers to make more space. I only noticed it however after I got the molar band...wierd. Since I am no expert, I'm curious about this as well. :Questions:

weird_wired

#3 Post by weird_wired »

I get this on my one gold tooth. I have tried desperately to clean it more and more. I mentioned it to my dentist, and she said that the bacteria that live on metal may be (therefore taste) different to the ones on regular tooth enamel. I think that's what she said anyway, it kind of makes sense.

I'm constantly paranoid that it means my tooth is still decaying under the gold though, but according to my last x-rays all is fine with it, though the gum was a little inflamed.

JeepGirl

#4 Post by JeepGirl »

weird_wired,

I have a gold crown too, that's why I have the molar band. I am glad you posted because your response to the bacteria and metal makes sense. Perhaps that is what is going on with me. :o

dr.j

#5 Post by dr.j »

If your band is loose slightly then food can impact under it and start to smell. When I remove a band on a patient and it smells, I know the band was actually loose and had 1/2 taco under it. Have the doc check and make sure it is cemented tight.
Dr.J - Ortho