Introducing me...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fozzy

Introducing me...

#1 Post by fozzy »

Hi everyone! I've been a very long time lurker of these boards (over a year!) and I'm very happy to report that I will be getting braced on February 2nd.
I'm 26, recently married, and will be getting full upper and lowers braced for approximately 18 months. My husband isn't too happy about me having braces, but he's been supportive and I know that it will be worth it in the end.
I get to keep my wisdom teeth! (very happy about that)
And my dentist is going to try to straighten my teeth without any extractions (he will be using slenderizing instead).
I've never had a cavity or anything, so I'm not experienced with dental work at all (other than the regular 6 month cleaning and check up). I'm uncomfortable having people sticking their fingers in my mouth, but I suppose I'll just have to get used to it!
Anyway, I just wanted to officially say hello to everyone. I'm sure I'll be on here a lot over the next year or so with lots of questions. :)

Last edited by fozzy on Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

Congratulations on making this big step in your life!!

Make sure to eat a lot of good stuff before you get the braces; sticky food, hard food, sugary stuff ;)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

fozzy

#3 Post by fozzy »

Oh, I will, don't worry! I'm spending the night before at a friend's house and we're having a "forbidden foods" night. Popcorn, carrot sticks, candy, all the good stuff. And the morning I'm getting braced we will go out for a big breakfast at my favourite restaurant. I'm not sure when my teeth will be up for eating there again once my braces go on! :)
Thanks for the warm welcome. :D

Betty Bat

#4 Post by Betty Bat »

Welcome! One piece of advice (that no one gave me!) is that it's very different to bite into food when you have braces on. I can chew just fine, but I can't bite! The one thing I really miss is a hamburger. So, if you're a fan of that kind of thing, you might want to have "one for the road".

And, other than one canker sore and a few times when I needed wax, I haven't had had too much trouble. Also, I think I've been going out of my way to point out my braces with friends and relatives the first time I see them post-braces. I had only one slightly rude remark (someone said "it's about time") but I think it sets the tone for others, when they know you are OK with your decision.

missing_tooth

#5 Post by missing_tooth »

Welcome aboard!

- Missing Tooth -

Kell

#6 Post by Kell »

Welcome Fozzy! I don't like people messing in my mouth either. Just having the hygenist floss my teeth would stress me. I think reading here and knowing what to expect made a huge difference for me.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.