Yay! My expander came out today!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HeyBartender

Yay! My expander came out today!!

#1 Post by HeyBartender »

I was in NOOOO mood to go to the ortho this morning at 7AM. It's snowing, I was grumpy, and the last thing I wanted was another adjustment. But I made it there, and was met with the happy news that he was going to take out my palatal expander today!

I was supposed to be in it for 6 months, and today is just about 4 months. Suffice it to say, it was a shock and a surprise of the best kind.

It feels SO WEIRD to have all this space back in my mouth. Lettuce is back on the menu for me now! And I can say words that start with a "Q" sound without struggling! And I can swallow vitamins without them getting stuck and dissolving in the spacer (ewww!)!

Now granted, they had to double-chain my wire this morning too, as we're still working to move all my teeth to fill in the gap. And that is certainly going to hurt like heck later. But for now, i'm just reveling in the renewed use of my entire mouth.

I so wish NORMAL people understood how exciting this was for me!

ren

#2 Post by ren »

Hey=that's such great news that you got that the X was taken out!! I still have mine in 1 1/2 years & counting(upper & lower)-that's so great! I will be doing a double happy dance when mine is FINALLY out. I cannot wait to have the roof of my mouth back too and eat those foods that get stuck (lettuce, tomatoes, straw, etc). I, too, cannot wait to say all of those words normally again!!!!

How long did it take him/her to take it out?? Did they snip it out or did they have to change the bands & everything??

You're totally right-NORMAL people wouldn't/don't understand what a huge deal this is-but I/we do!!

congrats!!!!!!! :D :D
Renee

HeyBartender

#3 Post by HeyBartender »

Thanks!! It only took him about 3-4 minutes (of course it seemed like forever) to get it out, and involved drilling off the parts of the appliance that are soldered to the braces. So there were 4 pieces to drill off alltogether (2 on each side). It didn't hurt, but it was uncomfortable. And i'll be rinsing with mouthwash all day to get this metal taste/feel out of my mouth. Glad I have a normal dental cleaning scheduled soon so they can scrape off what was left of the metal from my teeth!
ren wrote:Hey=that's such great news that you got that the X was taken out!! I still have mine in 1 1/2 years & counting(upper & lower)-that's so great! I will be doing a double happy dance when mine is FINALLY out. I cannot wait to have the roof of my mouth back too and eat those foods that get stuck (lettuce, tomatoes, straw, etc). I, too, cannot wait to say all of those words normally again!!!!

How long did it take him/her to take it out?? Did they snip it out or did they have to change the bands & everything??

You're totally right-NORMAL people wouldn't/don't understand what a huge deal this is-but I/we do!!

congrats!!!!!!! :D :D
Renee

Shoegal

#4 Post by Shoegal »

Isn't it amazing the first time you hear yourself talk after it is removed!? I was so glad to hear ME agin. I went home and called my husband and he heard ME too!! I swear that was one of my best days!!!

ren

#5 Post by ren »

thanks for the info. heybartender! I'm glad to hear it's not as major as putting it on-which I remember was no fun at all!

shoegal-I actually started a list of words that I'm going to say when it's off! It'll be a great day :)

joplin

#6 Post by joplin »

I so wish NORMAL people understood how exciting this was for me!
Here's a big hug and congratulations from another abnormal person who's been on your boat and knows exactly what you're talking about! :-1
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.