'Spit' of a problem....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

embracing_the_future

'Spit' of a problem....

#1 Post by embracing_the_future »

I had damon 3s fitted top and bottom three days ago and am just about coping with the shredded mouth, constant tooth pain and inability to eat anything more solid than soup :cry:

BUT one of my main worries at the moment is spit! (Sounds ridiculous to say it out loud!) My mouth around my braces is weirdly dry but sticky and when I talk the spit hangs off my braces in a way that makes me feel ill let alone anyone else!

Back to work tomorrow so just wanted to know - is this something that will go away or do I have to learn to cope? And if I do have to learn to cope....HOW!!!!!!!!!

Ooh, and does anyone have any tips on what to drink to help make my mouth less sticky? I am sticking to water at the moment but would like to be able to drink something else in the next 18 months!

Sorry for such a gross post and thanks for any help I get!

Lexy

#2 Post by Lexy »

I was the same way. For about a week and a half after I got braces, I was drooling everywhere. It was embarassing at times, but it did eventually go away. My advice to you is swallow often, swish with water constantly and carry a napkin to dab at your mouth as needed. Chewing sugar free gum with also help with the "sticky" mouth and the tooth soreness (really).

Just remember, you're at the very worst part of the whole braces experience - the beginning. Everything else is going to be cake compared to this.

It will get better. You just have to give it time. :)

Good luck!
Braced: June 2005
Treatment Time: 30 months
Metal on Top and Bottom

Lyn

#3 Post by Lyn »

I have had an actual "spitting" problem...............BUT not on purpose. When I talk I have "spit" fly out unintentionally because of the spaces that have been created in between teeth. It is so embarassing!!! :oops:

:pinkbraces:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7