what is appliances?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

poloaa

what is appliances?

#1 Post by poloaa »

IS appliances and expanders the same thing?? The dr said that i may need to wear that for 6 months, i wonder how it feels and what is it?
Thanks.

ssfw

#2 Post by ssfw »

Hi poloaa,

Appliances might mean expander - you should have asked your orthodontist when he mentioned it ,to avoid wondering after you have left the office and so you will know what to expect. Did they take any impressions for the appliance? What is he trying to do with the 'appliance.'

I just got my Quad-Helix expander 6 days ago - other than it making my tongue sore which I resolved by placing wax on it, it's been fine. I adjusted to eating and talking in about a day. From reading other posts, people have had various experiences to adjusting to the expander.

Good luck.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

poloaa

#3 Post by poloaa »

She said that is not the expanders, expanders not for adult, and she showed me how it looks like, but i think they are so similar, so i wonder if they are the same thing, but i think i need another consultation next week. Thanks anyway.

Bianca

#4 Post by Bianca »

Does it look like a bent paper clip?

It's a two year process.......

poloaa

#5 Post by poloaa »

I don't remember how exactly it looks, but it has something like "two rings", in metal, any opinion??
Thanks.