Am I Nuts Or Has Someone Else Tried This, Too?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ingyandbert

Am I Nuts Or Has Someone Else Tried This, Too?

#1 Post by ingyandbert »

Day Three: I got tired of having a sore mouth, so I waxed my entire set of braces! I'm leaving it in until tomorrow morning in order to give my mouth a rest. It feels sooooo much better!

Kell

#2 Post by Kell »

Sounds like a good plan. :D

I haven't had to do that but I did consider putting wax over the ligs and brackets on the 6 clear brackets on my top teeth. I was wondering if I did that before drinking my morning coffee if it would keep them from staining.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

strugglebuggy

#3 Post by strugglebuggy »

You're not nuts...lol. I did that when I first got my braces... i had such bad canker sores the first couple of weeks. I took two whole strips of wax.... one on top and one on bottom. I used Peroxyl and my mouth was so happy! :HugeGrin: Of course, it strained my supply of wax...lol- but hey, some things are more important. :)

jennielee81

#4 Post by jennielee81 »

I remember back in the spring someone saying that she had made a "wax sausage" and covered her upper brackets with that.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Gable74

#5 Post by Gable74 »

jennielee81 wrote:I remember back in the spring someone saying that she had made a "wax sausage" and covered her upper brackets with that.
Wax Sausage? That was my nickname in high school...LMAO. Anyway, try a mouth protector (like they use in football or wrestling) it works great and is less messy. Not the most flattering look, but it feels better.
I must warn you: If you want to convince me of anything, you better be prepared to back up your claims with rumor, circumstantial evidence, or hard-to-make-out photographic proof. I may also need friend-of-a-friend corroboration.

jennielee81

#6 Post by jennielee81 »

Gable74 wrote:
jennielee81 wrote:I remember back in the spring someone saying that she had made a "wax sausage" and covered her upper brackets with that.
Wax Sausage? That was my nickname in high school...LMAO. Anyway, try a mouth protector (like they use in football or wrestling) it works great and is less messy. Not the most flattering look, but it feels better.

Laughing my ass off, too!!...also, love your signature!! :biglaf: .

Fabulous note to end my day on! Image
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

braceface1230

#7 Post by braceface1230 »

Too bad they didn't make Play Doe flavored wax. Yum! :crazy:

ingyandbert

#8 Post by ingyandbert »

Gable, I actually thought of that but didn't know if it was ''allowed.'' Sometimes ya just need a break, you know?

Aurelia

#9 Post by Aurelia »

Sounds like a good idea to me!! I've been using wax in most places.
Had a mare thismorning tho, I was holding my top lip back to put some wax on the last bracket at the back and my lip got caught on the hook thing and literally ripped a hole in it!! It is soooo painful :(
All good things come to those that wait

weird_wired

#10 Post by weird_wired »

I put cellophane between my brace and upper lip for a couple of hours on the second day, just because I couldn't take the feeling of the braces any more.

Of course a couple of months on, you laugh at the idea of even noticing the brace against your lips, but there you are ;)

missing_tooth

#11 Post by missing_tooth »

Where do you even buy wax? I think I've been to a few different stores and I can't seem to find it. I've managed to get my ortho supply to last this long. I don't through it too quickly as wax just grosses me out. How long till the braces don't bother your mouth anymore. I'm hoping I'm nearing the end. Then again, when the bottoms are put on, it's all over again.

- Missing Tooth -

Huon

#12 Post by Huon »

Try Orabase on the sore spots. It's good.
Huon

Tin Man

#13 Post by Tin Man »

I did that once a few months ago because I got in a fight (I'm bouncer so it happens every now and again) and managed to stop a few of his punches with my face. Of course he wound up knocked out and sent to jail, so I think I got the better end of the deal.
Mike
3M smartclips top and bottom since 10/13/04
Off November 06!

NotBob1

#14 Post by NotBob1 »

Hey guys....I'm serious, get a set of those Comfort Covers from Lynn's DentaKit site. They are an absolute dream. Especially at the end of the day and while sleeping to give the inside of your mouth a break! if your teeth/brackets are really all over the place, yeah, they won't work that well, but if you are coming to a point of where most are somewhat in line horizontally, they'll work fine. If you only have a few that are way out, you can trim a little notch in the edge in order to skip that tooth and allow the wire to curve out and back in.

These things really work. After awhile, they take shape around all of the brackets, elastic hooks, tubes, etc. and fit like a glove.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

ingyandbert

#15 Post by ingyandbert »

You have to look around for the orthodontic wax. Eckerd's does not carry it even though they carry all sorts of other orthodontic products; go figure. I found a pharmacy that sells GUM orthodontic wax for .83 cents a package, so I bought about 5 packages. Walgreens wanted $2.49 for the same exact product. By the way, you guys were totally right about the warm salt water swishes; it works wonders. So does the Glyoxide. I'm so glad I found this board!