Extractions later...GRR!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

noppi

Extractions later...GRR!

#1 Post by noppi »

Has anyone gotten extractions after they've been braced? My orthodontist said he wanetd me to be braced and then later get extractions "so the gaps can begin to close immediately." I think I should email him and ask him what's up. My teeth have no where to move. My bite is becoming more of an open bite and it feels funny on my molars. It sounded like he knew what he was doing. But if you were braced and then had extractions, please comment. I feel like I'm wasting time! My next appt is Feb 24.
11/11/05~8 Spacers
11/21/05~Spacers off, 8 metal bands
01/13/06~Braces
04/13/06~4 extract
04/18/06~1st adjust after extract

joplin

#2 Post by joplin »

I think our site admin Lynn had that done. Check out her journal on the ArchWired main site.
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

Twy_wy

#3 Post by Twy_wy »

Hi Noppi,
I'm new here, but when I read your post I thought I should let you know that you aren't the only one!
I've been told by my Orthodontist that he is going to do my extractions after he puts on my braces... his reason was that he has had bad experiences with people going for extractions first and getting the wrong teeth pulled out :shock: So he is going to put the braces on with brackets on all the "keepers" and then the Dentist to do the extractions will know what teeth need to go.

momof2grlz

#4 Post by momof2grlz »

I was braced for 10 months before I had 2 upper premolar extractions to make additional room. I knew going in that extractions were a possibility, but my ortho wanted to see how much progress he could get by closing the gaps I started with. My extractions were in early September and I'm still waiting for the extraction gaps to close. It's taking forever. (Sorry, just a small personal vent). I didn't have a crowding problem when I started treatment so I can't help with advice on your situation.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

johnnya

I know

#5 Post by johnnya »

My ortho is also waiting to see what happens first.
He said he will extract one tooth in my upper jaw and possibly shave off of another one..don't know how this will work, but he seems to know his business.

hannah164

#6 Post by hannah164 »

I had 6 teeth extracted and 2 adult upper canines exposed and bonded after having braces for 9 months! :shock: I guess if that's what your ortho thinks you should do, hopefully he knows best! :wink:

Good luck!

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment is 2/1/06 where they will bond a bracket to my cuspid which was impacted!!!!

luxekitty

#7 Post by luxekitty »

I have 4 uppers braced with an archwire and 5 lowers braced with no archwire (just like a string...but its not a string connecting them). I don't know WHEN I'm getting my extractions but it doesn't seem like its going to be anytime soon. Next time I go in I'm getting a TPA appliance.

For me, since I had a hole in my cleft palette I think he's making sure that the bone is in perfect position to hold my teeth..so he's not dragging things around every quickly...being over cautious if you ask me but I didn't go to school for umpteenth years. :)
Braces off 9/19/08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

noppi

Thanks =)

#8 Post by noppi »

Thanks for the response guys! It sounds like some of you had to wait several months before getting extractions. Hmm...I'm definitely going to ask my ortho at my next appt. I want to get them out like in April or something at the latest! I want my teeth to hurry up and move and get in place.

I'll keep you guys updated!
11/11/05~8 Spacers
11/21/05~Spacers off, 8 metal bands
01/13/06~Braces
04/13/06~4 extract
04/18/06~1st adjust after extract

latichas

#9 Post by latichas »

hey Noppi
My ortho told me that he would let me know when I would need to get my 4 1st biscuspids removed. He did not say why, I am guessing because he wants to see how things line up first. But my teeth do not have anywhere to move. I was braced on Monday and I have a lot of pressure on my front teeth. My contacts are so tight that they could not even place my 2 lower molar bands on the right side so I have to continue wearing spacers until there is enough room. The ortho assistant said that my contacts are so tight there may not be any room yet on March 6 which is my next adjustment. I cannot even floss my bottom 5 teeth, which I could do perfectly well before the spacers and molar bands. Everything is so tight that I have to take advil after I floss because my teeth hurt so bad. I want to trust my ortho and everything but I want these suckers out so that I can floss, get my other 2 molar bands, and see some improvement.
Laticha

ceramic upppers, metal lowers 1-23-06
next adjustment March 21,2006