How bad are recycled braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Banana1214

How bad are recycled braces?

#1 Post by Banana1214 »

So I've been investigating braces and orthodontists for several months now, and I've finally chosen the ortho I want to go with. The only thing is that during my last consult when I asked him if he recycled braces (which I'd read on several websites was bad to do), he said yes, sometimes. He says as long as the brackets are in good shape, there's no reason not to reuse them and that hospitals always reuse equipment after they've cleaned and sanitized it.

I really like this guy and am going ahead with it, but please someone tell me why it's so bad to recycle brackets and if I should go with someone else.

Thanks!

johnnys_angel

#2 Post by johnnys_angel »

Well, as long as they sanitize them, I guess there's nothing "wrong" with them. I personally, being practically a germaphobe, would never do this, just because of the idea. However if you like your ortho, I'd say just do it! Good luck!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

Bianca

#3 Post by Bianca »

Honestly - as long as they sanitize them there shouldn't be anything wrong.

It's all about what you can deal with mentally... if you can handle the idea that these brackets, which have been in someone else's mouth, are now going inside your mouth - then what's the problem?

If you like the ortho, then I wouldn't necessarily let this stop you.

They would be sanitized, so no little cooties from one mouth to the other, and after a couple days with 'em (which would suck whether they were recycled or not) they would feel like yours, and you probably wouldn't give it a thought.

This is one that is all about personal preference - there is nothing "wrong" with it, as long as you are okay with it (ie not grossed out by the idea)

It's a two year process.......

ingyandbert

#4 Post by ingyandbert »

Well, he could have lied and said no and you'd never know the difference. I wouldn't worry about it.

altinure

#5 Post by altinure »

I don't know why it'd honestly matter. It's less wasteful. They're completely sanitized. I think it'd be more disgusting to use a cup at a restaurant because those are not santized, just washed, so hundreds of mouths have touched those.

chrisd

#6 Post by chrisd »

if you like the ortho but are bothered by the recycled braces, just ask that he use new ones. i am sure he will not mind.
chris
http://community.webshots.com/user/cruelcanbekind
3m clarity on top changed to supertorque metal
3m victory metals bottom
estimated treatment time 16-20 months

gypsydoodlebug

#7 Post by gypsydoodlebug »

Is that a common practice for orthos? I never even thought to ask mine. I assumed after 2-plus years the brackets could get chipped, bent, etc. and that would negate the positive effects of the overall orthodontic procedure...
Braced January 12, 2006:
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers
24-30 mos.

dr.j

#8 Post by dr.j »

It used to be common maybe over a decade ago now I'd say using braces over on different folks is taboo. I also think that makes you rather cheap. Patients are paying $4000-$6000 bucks the least they deserve is set of braces that has not been in someone elses mouth for 2.5 years. Hospitals may do differently but I would think no doc would advertise they recylce brackets. I have never and will never do this.
I would hope my colleagues would not either.
Dr.J - Ortho

JN_Woods

#9 Post by JN_Woods »

My ortho's office has a small sign in the office that says they use only new brackets that come individually sealed. It was off to the side of the check out area and barely noticeable. I had wondered if they used new brackets or not, but I guess it doesn't really matter. Everything else they are putting in my mouth (tools, mold trays, etc) are used and sanitized.

What would the price difference be for new versus used brackets to the ortho? Since I'm paying over $5K, I would want to know up front if they were going to use used brackets b/c like Dr. J said that just seems cheap. They should offer a discount if you opt to have used brackets.

Upper Braces & Both Expanders 9/14/05
Lower Braces 1/5/06
Estimated Treatment Time: 24-27 months

Banana1214

#10 Post by Banana1214 »

Well, thanks for your advice. I'm not sure what to do. I really want to stick with this guy, but if I tell him I want new, not recycled braces, how will I know that's what I'm getting? I mean, I doubt they'd look any different so he could just tell me they're new when they're not. I'll have to have a heart-to-heart with him next time I go in.

Thanks!

Bianca

#11 Post by Bianca »

Banana1214 - how do YOU feel about recycled braces?

As I stated before, this one is completely a personal choice.

Are you okay with the idea of recycled braces, ones that are as good as new but were worn by someone else?

If you are okay with that, then this isn't a problem and you have nothing to worry about.

It's a two year process.......

KittyW

#12 Post by KittyW »

Patients are paying $4000-$6000 bucks the least they deserve is set of braces that has not been in someone elses mouth for 2.5 years.
Amen to that! I'm curious...just how expensive are the brackets anyway? They're stainless steel. I doubt if they're very expensive. Frankly I think the cost of orthodontic treatment is directly related to geographic location and your doctor's training.

I have Damon 3's and there is no way they could be recycled, especially the lower brackets...the plastic top portions of mine are "smushed" from my overbite and I've had several replaced already. My ortho's asst. informed me that the 1/2 plastic/half metal Damons have been discontinued for use on lower teeth for this reason and they've returned to all metal Damons.
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

NotBob1

#13 Post by NotBob1 »

I wouldn't worry about it. They are autoclaved, sterilized, nuked, you name it. What about other things that are reused in the medical field many times over. Let's see.....without getting specific......Think of tools and camera equipment used to view the inside of your body and such. Not all of that stuff is disposable. There is nothing on a bracket that can absorb anything.

I guess I wouldn't really care. heck, mine could be used.....
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

NotBob1

#14 Post by NotBob1 »

Double post, sorry.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

shinyam

#15 Post by shinyam »

There is absolutely nothing wrong, trust me. It's all psychological!

Next time you go to a resaurant, are you gonna freak out because the fork was in a hundred people's different mouths at one time?

The braces are sterilized, there are no germs on them!

We should all recycle and do what we can to save the environment and resources.