Ranking of the most dreaded devices

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

stargirl

#16 Post by stargirl »

How about this:

Plus this:
(This is not me.... some poor little girl... I feel her pain.)

P.S. The headgear attaches to these:

*shudders*

I'm glad this is all gone now... :shock:

Jesslzz 01

#17 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

eurydice wrote:I have to say I am sooo glad I didn't have headgear - have you SEEN the hilarious headgear Willy Wonka wears in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"?
Yes, that headgear caused me the same terror that the dog and the cat from The Simpsons felt when they saw Lisa coming home from the ortho's office...:lol:
I'm sure someone mentioned that famous episode..."dental plan...Lisa need braces"...remember?

I guess that the first places so far are for the palatar expanders and the headgears!!!

Top braces on: January 9th, 2006. Lowers on February 14th, 2006
Full metalmouth!

NotBob1

#18 Post by NotBob1 »

So far, Will & Stargirl win.

I, as well, had a palatal expander when I was young. Probably 1978 or so. It was attached to my upper molars and had a screw about the size of a pencil going -straight- across. This was miserable. I could not talk. Period. I learned, though. I do not believe these type of expanders are used anymore.

Will: You are courageous. I would do what you are doing if I had to, but I think I would be miserable and I would be a bear about it. I will not complain about the cleats on the inside of my molar bands scratching up my tongue ever again. Can I ask you how old you are and how long it took (or is taking) you to talk almost normal again?
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

braceface1230

#19 Post by braceface1230 »

I'm about 99% sure the doc said I'll be wearing headgear. I'm so not looking forward to that. I already have a hard time sleeping, and I know headgear will make it nearly impossible. I'm starting to get the feeling that any challenge life throws us will pale in comparison when held up to the patient endurance us metal mouthies have to endure.

chrisd

#20 Post by chrisd »

not the worst but i would like to add bite turbos to the list. fun trying to talk when it seems every word requires your tongue to hit the back of your front teeth, oh wait i guess now it hits the turbos. argh :twisted:
chris
http://community.webshots.com/user/cruelcanbekind
3m clarity on top changed to supertorque metal
3m victory metals bottom
estimated treatment time 16-20 months

Will

#21 Post by Will »

NotBob1 wrote:So far, Will & Stargirl win.

I, as well, had a palatal expander when I was young. Probably 1978 or so. It was attached to my upper molars and had a screw about the size of a pencil going -straight- across. This was miserable. I could not talk. Period. I learned, though. I do not believe these type of expanders are used anymore.

Will: You are courageous. I would do what you are doing if I had to, but I think I would be miserable and I would be a bear about it. I will not complain about the cleats on the inside of my molar bands scratching up my tongue ever again. Can I ask you how old you are and how long it took (or is taking) you to talk almost normal again?
I am 17 and it took almost 2 weeks to talk sort of normal.... i still can't talk completely normal, i have a small lisp....

expanders suck since no one can understand what you're saying and because food gets stuck everytime.
Braces On: 11/1/05
Braces Off: ???

Will

#22 Post by Will »

oops, double post :oops:
Braces On: 11/1/05
Braces Off: ???

ren

#23 Post by ren »

for me it's been an uphill battle with these torture devices! I currently have an upper RPE and a lower expander---I am fed up with dealing with this in my mouth-especially since it's been 1 1/2 years and counting and have no idea if they'll ever come off. I'm with heybartender-hate dealing with this every single day.

I also have the pleasure of wearing the headgear-but have no idea when that fun will start....I'm hoping that the expander will come out and the headgear would start-honestly I'm looking forward to that!

elastics are getting up there on my list too-have to wear 4 right now and 2 out of the 4 are hooked BEHIND my tooth-which is also impossible and snaps off all the time.

Sorry I sound like such a grouch-but enough is enough with this uphill battle! :cry:
Renee

dcw

#24 Post by dcw »

Some of those bottom expanders look like they should be in a torture museum.

My Bottom expander was a nuisance compared to that

It will all pass

pinkdiamond

#25 Post by pinkdiamond »

Oh my gosh
You all are freaking me out .
I go in tommorow for my expander, I'm not sure which one it is but you don't have to turn it it slowly streches by itself , Does anyone have this one and if you do . Can you give me any advice.
Pinkdiamond