hook for getting elastics on

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ren

hook for getting elastics on

#1 Post by ren »

Hello, I've read on this site about a plastic "hook" that helps getting the elastics on easier. I've asked my Ortho and he said to use tweezers-which don't work for me. Does anybody know of a website where I can purchase this hook? I would really appreciate this info!!!
Renee

Metal Mouth Guy

#2 Post by Metal Mouth Guy »

nm
Last edited by Metal Mouth Guy on Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ren

#3 Post by ren »

Metal Mouth Guy, you're the best!! Thanks so much for pasting that link on the post!! 8)

kirst1583

#4 Post by kirst1583 »

I was given one of those by my ortho because I had trouble keeping the elastics on. I could get them on fine but they'd keep popping off.
If I were you I wouldn't even bother with the hook thing... I found it useless - it's much easier to get used to doing it with your fingers. That's just my opinion though.

Metal Mouth Guy

#5 Post by Metal Mouth Guy »

Ren - you're very welcome.

And I have to agree with Kirst. Even with my fat fingers, the elastics were easier to get on without using the elastic tool. But it probably depends on the configuration.

MMG

jenns91civic

#6 Post by jenns91civic »

same here. I just used my fingers. My cousin had a zig zag configuration for her last month in braces and she had to use a metal dental scaler thing to get them OFF in the mornings but it was easier to get them on with just her fingers.
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

Echo

#7 Post by Echo »

Weird....I find it easier to use the plastic hook my ortho gave me. My elastics are so tiny, and I have the triangle configuration. They took one look at my acrylic nails and gave me two of the plastic hooks! I use the hook end to hook the elastic across the bottom two hooks on my braces, then I use the other slotted end to push the elastic up and over the top hook of my braces. I find it way easier than fingers alone!
[/url]

Echo

#8 Post by Echo »

Forgot something.....www.jawproducts.com sells the plastic hooks. I just purchased some colored elastics from them.
[/url]

ren

#9 Post by ren »

thanks for all the help & tips! I ended up growing my fingernails out and that seems to be the best thing that's helped me! I use the nail to hook it around the other end of the button.

echo-that's the coolest website! colored elastics are so cool!

ttyl, renee :)

Way Too Old For This

#10 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Echo. I have a triangular config also and I couldn't do it WITHOUT my acrylic nails. I haven't been able to master that little plastic hook gizmo.

Last week my ortho told me I was wearing my elastics TOO MUCH. He said to just wear them at night. I almost kissed him !
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.