20-23 the right age???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hollywood_smile

20-23 the right age???

#1 Post by hollywood_smile »

hey i once read at a magazine ..or browsing on the net ?? :roll: ..
anyway i read that the best age to worry about teeth was between 20 and 23.....or 21 and 23.....anyway...is it true? have you read about this? they said its because bones are in their point to be moved and stuff.......have u heard of it? :shock:
I sooo Want a hollywood smilee....!!!!
http://hollywoodsmile.blogspot.com/

Silverware

#2 Post by Silverware »

I have read that the bones are more responsive to change the younger you are. I'm assuming this is why orthodontists recommend getting treatment as young as 7 years old.

CelestialVoices

#3 Post by CelestialVoices »

I'm 22 and I just got my braces this past Wednesday.

missing_tooth

#4 Post by missing_tooth »

I have read about bones hardening as you get older, thus younger is better.

- Missing Tooth -

Flora2006

#5 Post by Flora2006 »

Same here; I've always heard that the younger the better...though not too young. My ortho doesn't treat anyone under the age of 10 because before that age the jaw is still growing...

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

weird_wired

#6 Post by weird_wired »

Although the "best time" in terms of palate expansion would be childhood, before the bones fuse, there is really no "best time" for orthodontics: it depends when your teeth are ready, and when you are ready.

As we have seen here, many kids are just too stubborn and irresponsible for braces. They don't wear retainers properly, and relapses occur meaning they need re-bracing later on.

I even heard of a kid whose braces they had to take off because he literally refused to brush his teeth (a teenage boy). The hygiene and decay risk was so bad they couldn't leave the brackets and wires on, so they just stopped the treatment. He'll regret that like hell when he's older.

Destor

#7 Post by Destor »

Always heard the younger the better too, but the dentist did mention that 20ish was the best age to have wisdom teeth removed because of the healing time.
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom

Tunkabean

#8 Post by Tunkabean »

Maybe the article looked at the fact that full growth and change ends around age 24-26... so in that case, getting braces in the early 20's lessens the time needed for retainers and so on. The jaws and bones are almost in a permenant position, so when the braces get the teeth aligned, it won't be long until everything is in place.

It's just a thought
:idea:

Evelyn

#9 Post by Evelyn »

It would make sense in the sense that you are still young enough for things to move around relatively quickly, but also you're done growing so your teeth are more likely to stay where they are when you are done. Many of my friends ended their treatment when they were 12 or so years old, and their teeth are messed up now, just 5 years later.

But as far as the moving the teeth around goes, the younger the better is what I've always heard
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!