2nd day, can't eat...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nils

2nd day, can't eat...

#1 Post by nils »

i got my braces put on yesterday. the pain only set in this morning. I'm supposed to have them on for 2 to 3 years with jaw surgery after one year with the braces on.

I can't eat anything because my top teeth hit my bottom braces so my molars can't touch eachother. Is this normal? Will this go away?
Last night my wife made me soup and I couldn't eat it without blending it up first... all I can do is drink my food. It's quite discouraging. It's not even the pain that's keeping me from eating, I just physically can't do it.

my bottom teeth feel way tighter than before.. i can't even get floss between them

here is a picture of my braces right after they were put on

sydsmom

#2 Post by sydsmom »

Yep, I'm (still) in the same boat as you are, nils. I told my ortho about it the very second they were finished putting my braces on and he didn't seem concerned. I actually popped a bracket off my tooth 3 hours later because of it...

At this point, I've devised this strange, side-to-side "chewing" motion that allows me to crush most things between my teeth. But I still have to swallow a lot of things whole :-( If your molars are extremely far apart and you can't eat *at all*, I'd call your ortho. They can put buildups on your molars so you can chew.

Mine has gotten better after almost two weeks, but my teeth still don't touch each other, with the exception of my front ones. I think you just learn ways to cope with it after a while, and after the pain of being newly-braced wears down a little...
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06

Kell

#3 Post by Kell »

I hope that you are feeling better tomorrow. I know for me the 2nd day was the worst and then things improved every day after that. Still every day seems better than the day before. I can't put my teeth together either because my top teeth hit the bottom. It feels really strange so I try not to bite down. I have perfected chewing with just the very back molars.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

belmikry

#4 Post by belmikry »

i know how that is- acutally we got braces on the same day :O...
I'm living off protein shakes at the moment [shivers] because I have lifters in my molars so I can't actually physically bite down, so therefore cannot chew- regardless of the discomfort I would feel- so I know how it is :P...

best thing I've tried was chicken noodle soup with crackers in it- they melt in your mouth and at least you are getting some carbs in your diet- mines been protein and calcium so far without it :P
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

nils

#5 Post by nils »

3rd day....

so far my favorite snack is:

1 banana
3 scoops of ice cream
1/2 cup of milk
mixed berries
scoop of hemp protein powder (this is all natural protein powder with amino acids, omega 3 fatty acids, tons of vitamins.. you can get it from here http://manitobaharvest.com)

put it in a blender and voila....

but i find it's really hard to feel satisfied only drinking all of my food.

i wish i could chew with my back molars, i guess my front teeth are just much longer than the rest of my teeth.

thanks for the words of encouragement.

anyone needing jaw surgery throughout the process?

Metal Mouth Guy

#6 Post by Metal Mouth Guy »

nils wrote:anyone needing jaw surgery throughout the process?
Yeah, there's a few of us going in for major rework. Check out the Orthognathic section of the board for more. There's also a couple of Yahoo boards on orthognathic - but they're really cluttered and hard to follow. And the bimbo who runs the orthognathic2 board seems to deny membership to anyone who's not a friend.

MMG

gypsydoodlebug

#7 Post by gypsydoodlebug »

I have a funky build-up, too. My top teeth competely fit over my bottom teeth, so this keeps my jaws from completely shutting. I have a two-year-old, and I've just come out of the cutting-everything-into-tiny-pieces stage, so I'm well trained!

After 2.5 weeks, here's what I can now eat beyond liquids -- the key is to find soft foods that can be swallowed nearly whole without choking:

1. Spaghetti with marinara -- use kitchen shears to cut cooked spaghetti into tiny pieces, then mix in the sauce. You can swallow it whole because it's soft and slides right down without chewing.
2. Ground hamburger –– I cook the hamburger, drain it, then use my fingers to literally crush it into tiny pieces before adding any mixes, like Manwich Bold (my favorite -- I can eat it without the bun). It's kind of like the insides of enchiladas at independent Mexican restaurants (which I can also eat, if I cut it into tiny slivers). This also works for Hamburger Helper if you buy the kind with rice.
3. Canned ravioli -- Before you microwave it, cut the ravioli into pieces. It also slides right down. CAUTION: This stuff will stain clear ligs like nobody's business. I had to get wire tires a week ago because mine were so stained.
4. Buffet food -- we met my father-in-law at a chain buffet (what is it about old people and buffet food?). I managed a plate full of cooked carrots and green beans (I mashed them finely with my fork and knife before I ate it), stuffing and mashed potatoes.
5. Soft tofu -- tastes kind of like kindergarten paste to me, but I add it to canned cream soups before heating, so I get some extra protein.
6. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches -- cut the crusts off and make sure you use extra soft bread. You can pull off small bites and swallow.
7. Butternut squash -- I cut it in half lengthwise and scoop out the innards. Then cover with plastic wrap and cook on high for 8 minutes. Let cook, cut into chunks and peel off the skin. I then mash it and eat as a side dish to my steady diet of soups.

Hope this helps. I'm two weeks in and I hate not being able to fully close my jaw.
Braced January 12, 2006:
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers
24-30 mos.

Tunkabean

#8 Post by Tunkabean »

Im sorry to hear that.... I can't imagain having to experience that one.

Its day 3 for me. I only got a top brace so I don't have that problem. But the soreness, tenseness and shakey feeling keeps me from eating properly. I can barely bite down and grind.

This Morning I just resorted to drinking some soy milk for breakfast and I just had a bowl of soup for lunch.

You should talk to ur doc though... someone shouldn't have to go through such pain and discomfort.

katmc_tx

same boat

#9 Post by katmc_tx »

I'm in the same boat you're in and what's funny is that out of all the things i thought about (the sorness of your teeth, mouth sores, etc...) this was not one of them. It has been a full week for me today and I still cant bite down all the way. I'm getting a little worried about it but the ortho and other people have told me that it will get better. I just dont have a time frame which is driving me nutts. Because I cant eat :cry:(not because of sore teeth) but because my teeth dont come together to chew the food!!!!

nils

#10 Post by nils »

hey katmc_tx,

i totally understand... i've been told it will get better too.. but the only way i can see it getting better is that i get a major overbite to be able to clear the bottom braces when i bite down.

Another good idea for getting the nutrition and energy you need are meal replacement shakes like Boost, Ensure or no name equivelants.

I guess I shouldn't complain, but i have a hard time gaining and keeping weight, so hopefully i don't lose a ton of weight, i'm too skinny as it is.

belmikry

#11 Post by belmikry »

I know how that is- I wont be able to chew until my overbite is fixed :(

but today I had a special treat: after 3 days of protien shakes, I treated myself to a vanilla cupcake-with vanilla icing on top- I just ripped off pieces and let it melt on the roof of my mouth- it was sooooo good! try it, as well as carrot muffins in the same fashion [i'm a huge carb fan, so this has been a lifesaver] and sure beats another smoothie/soup combo

i'm there with the weight thing- I'm too skinny too o_o...
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

gypsydoodlebug

#12 Post by gypsydoodlebug »

belmikry wrote:but today I had a special treat: after 3 days of protien shakes, I treated myself to a vanilla cupcake-with vanilla icing on top- I just ripped off pieces and let it melt on the roof of my mouth- it was sooooo good! try it, as well as carrot muffins in the same fashion [i'm a huge carb fan, so this has been a lifesaver] and sure beats another smoothie/soup combo
Yep! That's the way to do it! Iced brownies are the same way. Just use a fork and take small bites! I can't eat regular brownies, though, because they're kinda crusty on the top and sides.

I had a check-up Tuesday, after two weeks. My next appointment is in 6 weeks, so I'll have these cement build-ups on until at least then –– hopefully, my bite will open up enough so that I can get them ground off.

Hang in there. It gets better –– you'll soon start experimenting. I CAN'T eat: crusty bread, but I can pick out the insides; soft cookies -- they still require chewing; chips -- cut my throat trying to swallow a small piece whole; restaurant ravioli -- tried at lunch and it was too hard and chewy; canned vegetable soup, unless I mash those big chunks of potato first; chicken -- even though it's soft, it is still too chewy.
Braced January 12, 2006:
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers
24-30 mos.

Flora2006

#13 Post by Flora2006 »

gypsydoodlebug - that's a great list of food!!! So many of those I haven't even considered I could eat but I can't wait to give it a try :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

krennen

#14 Post by krennen »

As a member of the "I can't chew very well or at all" club I have great empathy. Gypsydoodlebug's list sums up much of my menu choices. I am so glad for this forum as I was feeling so down about my eating with these braces!! I will have a talk with my Ortho at my next appointment and hope he can address these issues.

gypsydoodlebug

#15 Post by gypsydoodlebug »

[quote="krennen"]As a member of the "I can't chew very well or at all" club I have great empathy. Gypsydoodlebug's list sums up much of my menu choices. I am so glad for this forum as I was feeling so down about my eating with these braces!! I will have a talk with my Ortho at my next appointment and hope he can address these issues.{/quote]

Just fixed a crock pot o' chili. Mixed all this stuff together and it was done when we got home from work. Even my two-year-old ate it (although she's weird...her favorite snack is green peppers and hummus!):

Crock Pot Chili
1 lb. hamburger
1 large can Brooks chili hot beans (use mild or hot -- your choice)
1 large can chopped tomatoes, drained
1 large can tomato puree
1 container of Bloemer's Chili base (found in your grocer's meat dept.)
1/2 lb. uncooked spaghetti, broken in half
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. Frank's Red Hot Sauce (or sauce of choice)
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 onion, chopped into pieces
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook hamburger and onion. Drain, then use your fingers to grind finely. Drain the beans slightly. Drain a bit of liquid off the tomatoes. Throw it all in a crock pot, add spaghetti (this may be a preference -- we all do it in Kentuckiana!) and forget about it. If you're home, you can stir it. Tastes great, and you can add hot sauce to preference (with a kid, we make it a little blander than most).
Braced January 12, 2006:
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers
24-30 mos.