FIRST CONSULT TODAY*QUESTIONS ON PRE-BRACES PROCEDURES

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braceface1230

#16 Post by braceface1230 »

Yeah, being single bites. For periodontal disease, it's a little uncomfortable during the procedure. The dental hygenist actually uses a couple of different hooks to scrape the plaque and tarter off the teeth up under the gumline. They also use a microbicrobial (sp) rinse/scrub/cleaning agent thingy. It's a tool they use instead of the hooks (which I liked better) to loosen the plaque and such; It helps with healing your gums too.

For me, I did this in two seperate sessions. The tops first, then the bottoms. Each session lasted about 2 hours. I know it sounds like a long time, but for me, I knew all this was for my good, and the final results will make it all worth while.

They will numb your mouth if you'd like; I opted not to be numbed up. I've never had a tatoo, but I'm guessing the pain is probably similar to that. It's like a slight, not hard, but slight pinching sensation. So to give yourself an idea, use your fingernail and press on your gums until you feel a slight bit of pain. It's like that, but for two hours. And yes, you can request for a break in there if you need one, or two I'm sure.

When its all done, your teeth are going to feel cleaner than you could last remember. And, if you have a problem with bleeding gums, when you brush, this will take care of it immediately.

So after all that is done, and you have your braces on, you'll have to frequent you dentist about 3 times a year, at least, because those hard to reach spots that you hygenist couldn't reach prior to being braced will now in fact be exposed. So a little touch up work will be done in those appointments.

Your going to realize, like all of us here, that a huge part of your life will now be focused on your teeth. It's cool though because, opposite to most other things in life which hold so many uncertainties, you can be certain that all of this will be more worth it than you could ever have imagined.

Oh yeah, your two teeth that are behind your front two? That's exactly what mine did. My pics are in the "Our Braces Stories". I think I'm on page 2 right now, if you'd like to see my progress pics, which I should be updating soon.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. Good luck. And holler if you have more questions.

chrisd

#17 Post by chrisd »

good luck with your journey. you will be fine. i am a 28 year old professional, so getting braces was a little scary for me, but you know it is really not as big a deal as i think we make it out to be in our heads. braces are pretty common now a days, even with adults. 25 % of orthodontic patients are adults afterall. and the new braces are smaller, more comfortable and more discreet. not to mention that the improved technology has made them less painfult to wear.

so dont worry about wearing braces, as long as you dont care, and are confident about it no one else will think much of it. and i dont think it will have any impact on dating (and that is coming from a male in your age group)

i agree, take care of all the cleanings, cavities whatever before braces. on your brace day eat before you go, apply some lip balm before they start, and pop an advil, or tylenol when they are done and then as you need it.

i got braces (again) to sort out abad bite. you can see my story here (www below) to learn more about my decision.

good luck and keep us posted. you'll be just fine
chris
http://community.webshots.com/user/cruelcanbekind
3m clarity on top changed to supertorque metal
3m victory metals bottom
estimated treatment time 16-20 months

sophielafille

#18 Post by sophielafille »

Hi There,
I also had periodontal problems when I started. I had to have the same deep cleanings that mookyyzed had, but I did two sessions, one the ride side and one the left instead of top/bottom, and I chose to be numbed because some of the teeth were very sensitive.

I was put on a drug called Periostat that is supposed to stop any further bone loss in my jaw.

I started in april, got the perio cleanings, had one more all over cleaning and finally got the braces in November. Now I go to the perio every 3 months. When I get these braces off, I'm going to have a surgery where they pull up some of your gums, because mine are pretty receded.

Good luck with your journey! The sooner you get them on, the sooner you can get them off, that's what I keep telling myself...I'm counting the months!

-sophie
Braces on November 16, 2005: Ceramic Uppers, Metal Lowers
Frenectomy done on December 5, 2005
4 extractions done on December 10
TPA installed Jan 16, 2006
Elastic Triangles started June 8, 2006
BRACES OFF!!!!!!!!!! July 17, 2007
now wearing two removable retainers. Yeah!!!!