Not able to bite down

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

katmc_tx

Not able to bite down

#1 Post by katmc_tx »

My top front teeth are hitting my bottom brackets and I can't bite down all the way. I already informed my Ortho about this and he said it should get better in a few weeks. This is very frustrating because I can't eat because I can't chew anything all the way!!! Can anyone relate??

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

Yes, I can totally relate. It hurts, especially when those lower teeth are really sore. OUCH! You just have to eat really slowly and softly. Mine did as your ortho said, it took a couple of weeks and it stopped. It is amazing how fast these teeth move!

Leslie022

#3 Post by Leslie022 »

He should have put some cement in your molars so you can chew without hitting your teeth on your brackets or he should have put some bite turbos on. I've had mine on a couple weeks and my teeth will still hit my brackets. I know this because I had to go back to the ortho yesterday but the cement came out of one of my molars.

Sorry you're having to deal with this! I hope you can find something soft enough to eat!
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

KJM

#4 Post by KJM »

I had the same problem when I first had my braces on. Esp while your teeth are sore, hitting them together is really a jolt!

It took a couple weeks, like everyone has said, and then they didnt hit anymore. My ortho doesnt like bite blocks, and wont use them so it wasnt an option for me.

Hang in there, it will be better. :)
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

gypsydoodlebug

#5 Post by gypsydoodlebug »

My overbite is so bad, I have cement blocks in and I STILL slam my upper and lower brackets together. Once I learned to say my S's and J's differently, it's made it easier. The cement build-ups do make it easier to chew, though.
Braced January 12, 2006:
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers
24-30 mos.

genxsis

#6 Post by genxsis »

You bet I can relate! And when the tooth that hits a bracket is also sore from being moved, it hurts even more. In my case, my lip even gets caught between the tooth and bracket, adding to the misery. Everyone says things will change, and if it doesn't, I hope the ortho can makethat change! :x

krennen

#7 Post by krennen »

I can really relate. It has been three weeks and my chewing is not at all normal. I have 4 bicuspid holes and my molars don't meet. And I swear that in the last week my front teeth have shifted so that chewing is even harder. I go to the ortho in 12 days and boy do I have questions for him!! I have gotten used to swallowing some foods half-chewed. And some things like most meats are ground up if I eat them at all!!

ingyandbert

#8 Post by ingyandbert »

Welcome to my world! Same story here. My ortho thought about putting turbos in but decided that solution would be worse than the problem in terms of discomfort. You just have to be choosy about what you eat and go slowly.

Flora2006

#9 Post by Flora2006 »

same here. I've been eating mahed potatoes and things like that for 23 days now...I'm going in for my first adjustment on monday so I can't wait to ask questions about when my canine crossbite will get better

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Eleni

#10 Post by Eleni »

I had a metal loop thingy that prevented any of my teeth from meeting - for 7 months! Get very comfortable and creative with a soft food diet. In your case it wont be too long, and it really isn't that bad, just annoying.

Chin up and all will be well.
Last edited by Eleni on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

OneTime

#11 Post by OneTime »

After my molar band went on, most of my teeth aren't touching. I realized that after I tried to tear off a hot sauce package with my teeth.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08