Long-term effects of metal in the mouth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nils

#1 Post by nils »

i'm assuming there is no major problem with having metal in your mouth for several years. probably the worst thing would be not brushing and cleaning around your brackets, or chipping an upper tooth on a lower bracket.

keep your mouth extra clean and you should be fine. (that's coming from someone who has had their braces for 4 days, so what do i know?)

Metal Mouth Guy

Re: Long-term effects of metal in the mouth?

#2 Post by Metal Mouth Guy »

nm
Last edited by Metal Mouth Guy on Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geri

#3 Post by Geri »

oh MMG - that's funny! :-*

Hi Lucy - Some people have metal impanted into them...I'm thinking medical screws for fractures and those sorts of things...so braces can't be toooo bad, I rekkon.
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

ingyandbert

#4 Post by ingyandbert »

You're worrying for nothing. People have worn metal braces for decades using twice the amount of metal as now, not to mention metal fillings and metal screws for spinal and other orthopedic surgery. I know some people question metal fillings, but mine have been in forever and I'm healthier than a horse. In the grand scheme of things, a few years in metal braces is not much of a risk. You have a better chance of getting hit by a bus on the way to the ortho's office.

braceface1230

#5 Post by braceface1230 »

MMG, that's exactly the same thing I thought when I first saw the heading!! Awesome :thumbsup:

jcdamon3

#6 Post by jcdamon3 »

I am more worried about the mercury in my fillings. Ugh!

Silverware

#7 Post by Silverware »

Lucyloop wrote:
jcdamon3 wrote:I am more worried about the mercury in my fillings. Ugh!
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I got to thinking about the braces... although obviously mercury isn't in them!!

It was mainly as there was a study a few years back in to a disease I suffer from.. It was suggested that exposure to metals, in fillings and during surgery may have been a factor/ triggering auto-immune responses etc.

So, jokes aside - I did sort of have a valid reason for wondering. As I said though, I think we should be more worried about the crap & chemicals we put in our bodies every day by eating. That's a whole heap worse!! :wink:

LUCY xxx
I have a heart condition that dictates I take antibiotics whenever I go in for dental work. Something about the bacteria introduced during dental work, if you have any sort of heart condition, the bacteria can get trapped in the heart and cause an infection. I imagine this doesn't apply to the metal I have in my mouth, though.

nvcarissa

#8 Post by nvcarissa »

I have a heart condition that dictates I take antibiotics whenever I go in for dental work.
Me too. I had heart surgery several years ago so anytime I need my teeth cleaned I have to take antibiotics. Not for ortho adjustment though, thank goodness. I had to do intravenous antibiotics after giving birth to my daughter (oh man, my arm hurt bad...a burning all down my arm!) and I am anticipating that the same thing will happen for me at my orthognathic surgery. In fact, tonight I was just telling me family that getting intravenous antibiotics is the part I am least looking forward to about my surgery. I figure my jaw will be numb, but my arm won't and I will have to deal with the burn instead.

(PS -MMG, you cracked me up with your quip about straight teeth!)

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

usa1

#9 Post by usa1 »

Yes there are some proven long term effects. Your checkbook will have fewer numbers to the left of the decimal point!!
Braces July 26 2005
Treatment time 24 months
Damon 3's top Damon 2's bottom

jennandtonic

#10 Post by jennandtonic »

usa1 wrote:Yes there are some proven long term effects. Your checkbook will have fewer numbers to the left of the decimal point!!
:roll: Ain't that the truth. Oi!

I hope there aren't any long term effects. The doctors don't seem worried, so I'm not. :wink: