Friday Spacer People, How are you doing?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Brandyleigh35

Friday Spacer People, How are you doing?

#1 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Got my spacers in this morning. Was a litte rough, I have very tight contacts between my teeth. One of the spacers broke, and then she couldn't get it out, but then another lady helped her and was able to get it out and put a new one in without too much trouble. She said "Let me appologize in advance, as this is probably not going to be too comfortable" That was a little unnerving, but it was fine. She told me I was a trooper and kept asking if I was ok. It was definitely nothing I couldn't handle. So far I feel fine. Have a bit of pressure between my teeth, and my gums feel a bit sore when I bite down, but definitely not as bad as I thought it was going to be! I did take a couple advil prior to going though so perhaps that is helping too!

I was excited as I only had to get spacers for my expander appliance which is going be banded to my first molars. I didn't need any for my bottom teeth as he says they use brackets and not bands on the bottom.
It looks like I won't have any bands on top either, other than the ones that attach to my appliance (at least that is what they said) so I was pretty happy about it when I left the office.

Hows everyone else doing???

Brandy

stclair5211

#2 Post by stclair5211 »

I got my spacer's Mon., and my teeth are still a little sore - especially with hard foods. Your so lucky to not need a lot of spacers! I've got 8 which I guess is the norm., two in each corner. I've got 2 metal spacers on one side because the other kind wouldn't go in! Metal spacers suck by the way!!! :evil: Although my tongue has finally toughened up! :D All in all they haven't been bad. Good luck with them! I think there good practice for the heavy hardware to come later. :)

toodamntall1

Re: Friday Spacer People, How are you doing?

#3 Post by toodamntall1 »

[quote="Brandyleigh35"]Got my spacers in this morning. Was a litte rough, I have very tight contacts between my teeth.

Hi Brandy! I got spacers today too, and one of mine broke after lunch also. I think it went pretty well otherwise, no pain. Just a funny feeling in my teeth. Monday I get a full mouth of tin. I can't wait. I'm so excited to go in. When do you get yours on?

The one thing that was a bit uncomfortable was when she took out the broken one. That didn't feel so great. But other than that, all is good. I plan to take a nice pain reliever tonight just in case...after my daughter goes to sleep. Then its off to la la land for me :)
Searching for service....
....can you hear me now?!?!

Brandyleigh35

#4 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Hey Toodamntall,
My son and I both get our braces on the 13th. My ortho makes adults wear their spacers for 10 days so that was the soonest we could get them done. I took the day off of work just in case we are sore or want a little time without an audience to get used to them. I also got to see my expansion appliance today.....looks like I'm going to have quite a mouth full for a few months!

I agree with you though about the spacers. So far I have no pain either. It is just a weird feeling having something between your teeth. I keep thinking its food and want to dig it out! LOL..

Brandy

Raspberry

#5 Post by Raspberry »

I had my spacers put in on Tuesday, I have 8 Metal ones.

2 things I don't like about them: it is really hard to chew anything hard, and there are little hook things on them that are hurting my cheeks.

Brandyleigh35

#6 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Yikes those sound painful! They almost had to give me one of those too, but the other technician was able to get the rubber spacer in finally so I was saved.

I imagine metal would be significantly more uncomfortable. I mean at least rubber has a bit of give to it!

When do you get your braces on???

Brandy

Raspberry

#7 Post by Raspberry »

Brandyleigh35 wrote:
When do you get your braces on???

Brandy
Hi Brandy,
Ya, they aren't fun. I only have them until Tuesday the 7th, then I get my braces on uppers and lowers (hopefully).

I asked my Ortho before if he used the blue rubber spacers, but he told me he only uses the metal ones.

Brandyleigh35

#8 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

You poor thing! Are you teeth killing you? I have little white rubber ones and they are aggravating the crap out of me! My teeth are definitely tender today, much more so than yesterday, and my front teeth feel tight also, like the spacer are forcing the others to move and putting pressure on my front teeth.

I can definitely tell already that eating is going to be an issue for awhile. Today has been miserable trying to find something good to eat that isn't jamming up into the space, or hurting when I chew. :(

Brandy