braced, with regrets...maybe

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tandi

braced, with regrets...maybe

#1 Post by tandi »

Hi, I've been lurking for about 2 months now. I found the site because I had made up my mind to get braces and wanted to know if there were any adults like me. I'm 37.
On thursday I made the plunge. I had metal braces put on my lower teeth. I chose the metal braces that cost a little more than regular ones because my denist told me they were better and they would move my teeth faster. My logic behind my choice was that I would rather have metal braces on for a shorter peiod of time than clear for a longer time.
Also my dentist told me I had a unique case because I have 4 veneers on my front teeth that the metal would be stronger.
O.K. here is my problem. I know i've only had them on for 2 days but I'm having regrets choosing the metal ones. I really don't like the way they look. I guess I didn't realize how noticable they are. Im really afraid I made the wrong choice and I can't really ask to have them taken off. I already paid $1800 on my balance.
What should I do about my uppers? Should I say that I changed my mind and want the clear or should I just go ahead with the metal and hope that I'll get used to them? I would really appreciate some advice

Evelyn

#2 Post by Evelyn »

Wait it out for at least a couple weeks. It's going to take longer than 2 days to get used to your new smile, but give it a while before you take the plunge and change brackets.
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

tandi

#3 Post by tandi »

yeah, I will definitely be having a conversaton with my ortho about this. I guess i've been thinking about getting braces for so long that now that im actually doing it i'm afraid and second guessing myself.

missing_tooth

#4 Post by missing_tooth »

I guess I didn't realize how noticable they are.
I have metal as well and love it. I wouldn't worry about how they look. I smile at will. If people have a problem with my braces, it's well, their problem. Just remember if you get ceramic brackets, you may find issues with them as well.

- Missing Tooth -

dena

#5 Post by dena »

if you only have the bottoms now, it shouldnt be a big deal to get clear on top (that's what i have)...if you can afford it, do it

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

pinkdiamond

#6 Post by pinkdiamond »

Hi Tandi,
I am also in my thirties and braced
If you already regret the metal then I would definetly get the clear. Plus the top show so much more then the bottom. So think how they will look on your front teeth. I have clear on the top and bottom and I am so glad I got the clear most people think I am just wearing a retainer. Just remeber you have to be happy with you choice of metal or clear. Your going to have to where them for quite a while so you want to be comfortable while you have them.
Hope this helps
Pinkdiamond

tandi

#7 Post by tandi »

you guys are really making me feel a lot better about my concerns. none of my friends can relate to what im going through. i glad to know there are people who can.

lilpikachu

#8 Post by lilpikachu »

I regretted getting my metal braces the minute I looked at myself in the mirror and smiled! I actually wanted to cry because I felt I looked scary.

On the way home, I considered going back to my ortho to ask if I could have them removed!

But after a week, I realised that how (scary) I looked to others shouldn't matter because I was getting straight teeth for myself.

If having metal braces really bothers you, then try and get them changed. Honestly after a few weeks, you'll be so used to your braces that you won't care.

chrisd

#9 Post by chrisd »

i agree with most of the above. if you dont think you can handle the metals, go with ceramics up top. i have ceramic on top metal bottom and while that still takes some getting used to i am pretty happy with my decision. that said the ceramic brackets are not invisible, and often times the bulkier ceramic brackets will not fit on the bottom.

keep us posted and good luck
chris
http://community.webshots.com/user/cruelcanbekind
3m clarity on top changed to supertorque metal
3m victory metals bottom
estimated treatment time 16-20 months

belmikry

#10 Post by belmikry »

the hardest part is over- I'm on day 6, and i'm starting to actually enjoy my metal braces, in comparison to the first days- I was ready to rip them out myself- and second guessing myself for not demanding ceramics.

But you know what? I think I made the right choice- and you'll be able to figure it out yourself, but like others have mentioned- give it some time before asking about them. From what it sounds you may have self ligating braces [the ones which take "less time" Damon 3's, ] which are what I have, and they have clear ceramic halves on them later on [you can see them on my tops]

also, remember day by day your teeth are going to start straightening out, and your one more day sooner of getting them off! I still look at my wire and cringe and the non-straight parts [something about the brackets and wires not straight really accentuate how crooked your teeth really were] but I take pictures to show my progress- for others and definately for myself- so I know it was all worth it.

I'd personally stick with your original judgement, but give it some time- even having braces is the best step, and thats the hardest part I think :)
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

sunluvr

#11 Post by sunluvr »

I just found this site yesterday and am really enjoying looking through the forums. I am 38 and got my braces 2/8/05 so it is almost exactly one year. I was told it would be 24 - 30 months, but have the feeling they will be off in less than 24.

I have full metal on top and bottom and when they were first put on I thought my mouth looked like a train wreck. But, I can't believe how after only 2 months things were looking so nice already!

I had considered going with the ceramic on top but spent quite a bit of time talking to myself in the mirror and decided there was no way I was going to be able to hide the fact that I have braces so why not go full metal and save the money.

I tell you what, I was much more self-conscious about my smile before the braces than after they were on. You are doing something beautiful for yourself and will not regret your decision as long as you do what feels right for you.

jennandtonic

#12 Post by jennandtonic »

I just found this site today, glad to know I'm not all that alone!

I'm only 20, but I still feel a bit old to be getting braces (though I know I'm not!), and when I found this site I started feeling a little better. I've had them since Thursday.

I've been feeling self-conscious because like sunluvr says, my mouth looks like a train wreck to me. I'm trying to concentrate on the thought that in 24-26 months I will have straight teeth!

ingyandbert

#13 Post by ingyandbert »

I got Damon metals braces on the recommendation of my ortho. He said they are the fastest and most comfortable braces out there currently. That meant more to me than whether or not they are more noticeable than others. And even these are a lot less metal than what was once used.

sydsmom

#14 Post by sydsmom »

tandi, whenever there's a change in your appearance, it takes your brain a while to "catch up".

I'm in my 30s, had originally planned to go ceramic or clear, then changed my mind and got metal at the last minute (recommended by my ortho). I felt I looked pretty scary the first few days. But, honestly, once the "shock" wore off, and after plenty of staring at myself in the mirror, I realized that I really don't look any different. I'm still me.

And hardly anyone even notices I have them on, to be honest. It took one of my clients a full 20 minutes to realize I had braces during a session!

I would give it a few days...if you're still having regrets, go with the ceramic.
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06

montesser

#15 Post by montesser »

I think we all had the same feelings after we were first braced. I went with ceramic for the top and bottom and I thought they were very noticable. It feels like your mouth sticks out much further, but after a few weeks, that feeling goes away. It will be totally worth it in the end. There were several adults in my office that had braces, metal on top and bottom, and I didn't even notice until I decided to get mine. I feel that it's a much easier experience now than having them as a teenager. No teasing, except for a little fun from my close friends and family, and you don't have to worry about being self conscience about prom pictures or senior photos. Although, I do wish I would have gotten them at a younger age, just so I could see the results a lot sooner, but hindsight's 20/20. Hang in there. We are all here to support you.
MR 11-28-05
Next Cleaning 10-19-06
Extractions 1-12-06
Next Adjustment 8-19-06