Oh Crud! My Wire Broke!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ingyandbert

Oh Crud! My Wire Broke!

#1 Post by ingyandbert »

Looks like I lost the glue dot that held the end of the wire and now my bottom wire has slipped out of the last bracket entirely. Ugh!

sydsmom

#2 Post by sydsmom »

This happened to me just yesterday and I freaked!! But, with some tweezers, lots of fingers in my mouth, and some difficulty, I managed to get it back in. Luckily those wires are fairly flexible.

On my ortho's little take-home packet the instructions were to try and get the loose wire back into the bracket, or to trim the wire behind the last bracket it's attached to (with nail clippers) so that it doesn't poke you and to call the office to notify them.
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06

ingyandbert

#3 Post by ingyandbert »

I'm happy to report it was a false alarm! Last night I thought a wire had come out of a bracket but when I looked again this morning with a magnifier I realized they hadn't placed the wire in the end bracket yet (that must be for later). I found the glue dot where they secured the wire between 2 teeth.

genxsis

#4 Post by genxsis »

Sydsmom:

Really? You can use nail clippers to cut the wire? I'm glad to hear that because my wires are starting to poke through less than a week after being installed. It's like a pin poking my cheek! I've putting wax on it, but it keeps coming off. My next appt. is Wednesday, but I don't want to wait if I don't have to. And now I'm going to try those nail clippers on the 'ole wire!

My ortho never told me about this! I'll ask about it if I can't get it to work. I won't even mention it if it does. I don't want to get chewed out for doing something unorthodox :lol:

littleshaddies

#5 Post by littleshaddies »

I could only cut myself the first wires with nail clippers. Now my wires are so thick that even the ones for toe nails are not doing the work. Good part is tho that the thick ones can bend more so I use the clippers to grip the wire and twist. DIY has never beeen more fun :lol:
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

genxsis

#6 Post by genxsis »

Well, I tried it last night and it didn't work for me. I just can't get into my mouth far enough to get the right angle. I thought I got ahold of the wire once and then I clamped down as hard as I could, but it didn't cut.