dumb question???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

metallicafan

dumb question???

#1 Post by metallicafan »

just got my clear braces on Friday-it is so annoying how long it takes to floss each night but I have been doing it everyday. Anyways, someone told me that if I bought and used a waterpik it would take the place of flossing. Does anyone know if this is true? If you use a waterpik you dont floss? It just didn;t sound right to me so that I'd see if anyone knows about this. If thats the case-let me run to buy one!!!

ingyandbert

#2 Post by ingyandbert »

No, that's not true. You still have to floss.

Bianca

#3 Post by Bianca »

I don't think that using a waterpik can/should replace flossing.

That being said - using a waterpik has made my life so much easier. I resisted buying one but my husband thought it would be really useful for me, so he kinda pushed me into buying one.

And I love it.

I use it before flossing, and it cleans out practically all the junk in my mouth. Then I floss, and then waterpik again (focusing on the brackets this time).... and by the time I start to brush my mouth is already starting to feel clean!

Those times when I don't waterpik I end up with junk in my toothbrush and it's really frustrating and gross.

So it doesn't take the place of flossing, but it will make it much easier for you!

It's a two year process.......

ingyandbert

#4 Post by ingyandbert »

I like to use my Waterpik before brushing to loosen everything up and get out any stuff that might get stuck in the toothbrush. After brushing & proxy brushing, I floss. Then I rinse with a fluoride mouthwash.

Flora2006

#5 Post by Flora2006 »

using a waterpick is good but it should definitely not replace flossing.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

sleater

#6 Post by sleater »

I have had my eye on this:

http://www.waterpik.com/products/SpecDi ... Nbr=100262

Has anyone bought one of these and used it? If so is it any good? Worth it?

I am from Toronto and I am having a hard time finding a place that supplies Waterpiks. Anyone in Canada know of a good place to look?

metallicafan

#7 Post by metallicafan »

Thanks-I knew that sounded too good to be true!

Metal Mouth Guy

#8 Post by Metal Mouth Guy »

I guess it depends.

I floss 2-3 times a month, but waterpik nightly. Been going that way for 14 months. Have had 3 trips to the dentist for cleaning. Dentist and Ortho know and have no problem with it. My oral hygiene is fine according to them.

MMG