Do You Eat Popcorn?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ingyandbert

Do You Eat Popcorn?

#1 Post by ingyandbert »

I know we're not supposed to, but I really love it and I can't imagine not eating it for 2 years!

KJM

#2 Post by KJM »

Yes I eat popcorn but I am careful not to get any unpopped kernels in my dish prior to eating.

Actually I chew gum, eat caramels and whatever else I want.( very carefully of course) However, I did break a bracket on some Honey Bunches of Oats cereal once, Oops! :oops:
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

drazda

#3 Post by drazda »

I work at a movie theater, and yes I do occasionally eat popcorn. It's not going to break off a bracket, it just gets stuck in places you don't want it to... but I've never had a problem with it. I say, eat it.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

stargirl

#4 Post by stargirl »

Yup, I pretty much eat anything I want... and I love popcorn!
I just make sure not to eat the unpopped kernels - but that's not hard for me because I never liked to eat them in the first place!

The only problem is cleaning it up afterwards... :shock:

IndyBraceFace

#5 Post by IndyBraceFace »

I'm way too scared to eat popcorn. Of all the foods my ortho. told me not to eat, that was the one he stressed the most. He did say that hulless popcorn was okay. It's hard to find, but luckily they have it at my local apple orchard.

akabraces

#6 Post by akabraces »

Thank goodness you asked this VERY important question!

I'm getting my braces soon and I eat popcorn every day practically,
and since I know I'm getting my braces soon, I really have been
eating it everyday...

Thanks for the question and insightful answers!

*aka

mackenzie

#7 Post by mackenzie »

I do, I just eat it slowly which has made me really savor and enjoy it. I think the big worry with popcorn is the little bits of shells getting stuck (especially in molar bands I think) for a long time, possibly making infections.

SueFromNJ

Bad popcorn!

#8 Post by SueFromNJ »

I ate popcorn a few times, and learned my lesson! Last time I ate it, somehow the popcorn knocked my power chain off the fartherst back molar band hook, leaving it hanging. And now since the chain was not going far enough back, the nearby teeth were hurting since they were being tugged on too much, I guess! I had to go to the ortho and he took 2 seconds to get it back on! :oops:

I tried to get that chain back on the molar band hook myself, but couldn't do it! No more popcorn! :D
Debanded in May, 2006! Total sentence: Three years and two months. Now in hawleys which make me gag! Before braces, I had dracula fangs in their own rows, and everything else was crooked, crowded, with a cross-bite, too!

Flora2006

#9 Post by Flora2006 »

I don't like popcorn so its not something I had to give up, thankfully

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

flowertowngal

Yes

#10 Post by flowertowngal »

I didn't eat popcorn for about the first 3 or 4 months of having braces because I was scared of all the horrow stories. But I love popcorn and I missed it so much I finally broke down and tried it. And it was fine! I ate slowly and carefully and drank water to rinse my mouth out. Now I eat popcorn probably 2 to 3 times a week and I have never had one single problem. It is a pain to clean your teeth afterwards - stuff gets everywhere but for me, its worth it.

butterfly

#11 Post by butterfly »

I've been avoiding popcorn all my life because these shells get stuck in my "double parking area" in the upper right corner of my mouth (one tooth behind the other). Eating pop corn in the movie theater would certainly mean a visit at the rest rooms right in the middle of the movie to kick out the shells. This was BEFORE braces.... I cannot wait to eat pop corn like a normal person. :D :D
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

alexa

#12 Post by alexa »

Yep.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

becky1

#13 Post by becky1 »

I eat popcorn every night and have not had a problem yet. Only the fact that it sometimes gets stuck in places that are hard to get to.

Samantha08

#14 Post by Samantha08 »

Absolutely lol!! I LOVE popcorn! I couldnt go 2 years without it either!
Estimated Time: 15-18 months

NotBob1

#15 Post by NotBob1 »

I did this last Saturday. Albeit not a great amount. I just slid a few in, kind of chewed them gingerly and down they went. I suppose one could get into alot of trouble if they are not careful. I think that as adults, we are careful as we really don't have the time to go into the ortho office every other week!

-Pat
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.