1st adjustment...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Flora2006

1st adjustment...

#1 Post by Flora2006 »

I am having my first adjustment at 10am and it will be the happiest day ever!!! I've been in so much pain because the end of the wire has cut my cheek pretty badly so for 2 weeks i've been in pain whenever I would eat or talk...wax was helpful but because I have to take it out while eating...the cuts never really healed...

At this point I don't even care if they don't change my wire or ligs...I just want them to cut the end of the wire!!!

Oh and before you all think I'm crazy and say I should have gone to see my ortho to get the wire cut...I couldn't go because I had absolutely no time...otherwise I would have run to the office lol

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

belmikry

#2 Post by belmikry »

good luck! I know what you mean, I have one wire which kills without my ball o' wax on it!

Tell us how your adjustment goes! I have awhile until my first adjustment :P
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

I got back not too long ago and my ortho cut the end of my wires which really made my day.

I chose silver ligs so I am really hoping they won't stain as much as the clear ones. Overall it went good...he did tell me that it would take another 4-5 months before my crossbite on my canine comes into alignment so that kind of sucks but I can't really do anything about it :cry:

Next adjustment is in 4 weeks so I am really hoping to start seeing some changes.

~~~~~~

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

I got back not too long ago and my ortho cut the end of my wires which really made my day.

I chose silver ligs so I am really hoping they won't stain as much as the clear ones. Overall it went good...he did tell me that it would take another 4-5 months before my crossbite on my canine comes into alignment so that kind of sucks but I can't really do anything about it :cry:

Next adjustment is in 4 weeks so I am really hoping to start seeing some changes.

~~~~~~

Tunkabean

Re: 1st adjustment...

#5 Post by Tunkabean »

Flora2006 wrote:I am having my first adjustment at 10am and it will be the happiest day ever!!! I've been in so much pain because the end of the wire has cut my cheek pretty badly so for 2 weeks i've been in pain whenever I would eat or talk...wax was helpful but because I have to take it out while eating...the cuts never really healed...

At this point I don't even care if they don't change my wire or ligs...I just want them to cut the end of the wire!!!

Oh and before you all think I'm crazy and say I should have gone to see my ortho to get the wire cut...I couldn't go because I had absolutely no time...otherwise I would have run to the office lol
I had my first adjustment @ 9am this morning..... and like you I had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM! the end of the wire was poking out and cutting into my cheeks - on both sides! I even stuck my finger trying to put wax. I used up all my wax in 1 week!

First thing I asked was to for the dentist to make sure the wires ends are cut off properly when he replaced the wire. *wheww* :D

Todays adjustments consisted of adding on a bracket instead of a spacer (because of lack of space) and adding a spring.

Needless to say, I bought me a whole pack of wax

Way Too Old For This

#6 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I always try to remember to check for pokeys, but if you have gaps and they start to close, that can cause the wire to poke out the back. It has to go somewhere.

I'm so lucky my ortho is 10 minutes away and right on my way to and from work. So far, I have had to go back twice in one day on three different occasions. Sometimes I feel bad but they always make me feel like it was totally their fault and they are so sorry to have inconvenienced me. The whole group are the nicest people.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Tunkabean

#7 Post by Tunkabean »

I always try to remember to check for pokeys, but if you have gaps and they start to close, that can cause the wire to poke out the back. It has to go somewhere.
Ah yes, my dentist told me that today... that as the teeth move, the wire will start poking out. All I have to do is give them a call and they'll cut it off :D

At least now I know!!

Flora2006

#8 Post by Flora2006 »

Way Too Old For This wrote:
I'm so lucky my ortho is 10 minutes away and right on my way to and from work. So far, I have had to go back twice in one day on three different occasions. Sometimes I feel bad but they always make me feel like it was totally their fault and they are so sorry to have inconvenienced me. The whole group are the nicest people.
My orthodontist is only about 20 minutes away so he isn't that far...its just that he only works on mondays and thursdays, the rest of the time he is a professor in dentistry and orthodontics...and i don't want the other ortho to look into my mouth...the dentist, my ortho, and my dental hyginiest is enough lol

~~~~~~