Getting Spacers Tomorrow!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

proflutist

Getting Spacers Tomorrow!

#1 Post by proflutist »

I'm getting my spacers tomorrow! I'm excited, but everyone I know with braces say spacers drive you nuts :shock: and all you can eat are mushy foods (which I fortunately like). Can anyone prove them otherwise?

fatboy

#2 Post by fatboy »

The pain usuallly subsides, but for me the bottom ones were hell! I had my spacers put in last week and braces put on today :shock: It was painful! The molar bands were really tight and they cut my gums a little while going on. I hope your spacers don't bug you like they bugged me! Good Luck, JC

Lin

#3 Post by Lin »

Like fatboy, I had my spacers put in last week and braces put on today. I found it all pretty uncomfortable and lost a bit of weight from all the mushy-awkward food eating.

I would say, eat a huge tasty dinner tonight and stay positive! How you react to the spacers probably depends a lot on you/your teeth/etc.

Just remember, it brings you one step closer!!!! :) Good luck & let us know how it goes!
-- Lin | Braced on 1/31/06 | 5 extractions + Canine Exposed 4/19/06

angelxdevil21

#4 Post by angelxdevil21 »

well proflutist looks like we are both in for a treat tomorow, i am getting my seperators tomorow and then my braces on the 8th aswell, but sorry cant tell yah much about thm cause i havnt got them yet! but im sure they cnt be as bad as every ones says they are..............or can they!

ssfw

#5 Post by ssfw »

Hi proflutist,

I had very few problems with my spacers. The only day (out of 7 days) of having the spacers that I couldn't eat anything I wanted was the 4th day - chewing was a bit irritating on one side so I chewed on the other side of my mouth - it felt better the next day. Other than that, I didn't have any irritation and no need for any Advil. Maybe I just got lucky.

Good luck and keep in mind the separators are usually only in for about a week.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Silverware

#6 Post by Silverware »

I got my braces and spacers on the same day. I was supposed to get spacers the week before, but my Ortho didn't want to risk it since I hadn't taken antibiotics for that appointment (I have a heart condition, which requires medication for dental appts). So, the next appointment he tried shaving the molars to put the bands in, but that didn't work. In went the spacers!

I have 6 in total and it was painful for the first 2 days. After that, I havn't been in pain except when I try to eat! One of my spacers actually fell out (getting it back in tommorow) so I've grown accustomed to eating on the side where there is one less spacer :)

Have advil at hand, and eat lots as soon as they go on. It will start to hurt later in the day.

luxekitty

#7 Post by luxekitty »

I was fine the first day, they hurt like CRAZY for 3-4 days after. (I lost 4lbs in 1 week) Soft food, tylenol...thats about all you can do.

They do stop hurting though, I've had my top ones in for nearly a month and they only bug me because I can't floss those areas, I can't wait to get them out.
Braces off 9/19/08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tunkabean

#8 Post by Tunkabean »

So thats what u call them huh?
Well I got 2 spacers around one of my molars yesterday (when I got my braces) Its there to make space for a metal bracket to sorround the tooth apparantly.
The doc is trying to make as much space as possible without doing extractions.

It hurt when he was putting it in, but I have no complaints right now thankfully.

Orth-ohno!

#9 Post by Orth-ohno! »

I wouldn't worry too much about the spacers. I got eight of them in at the same time the upper ceramics went on. Two of them are the metal springs, as they couldn't get in the traditional rubber ones. I have to keep those in for a week so they can make enough space to get the rubber spacers in. (Uuhh, spacers for the spacers, I guess!) It's now day five and I'm really not having much trouble. It was only for the first three days that they were really annoying. It still hurts to chew a bit, but it can be done! Good luck and don't be worried! :wink:

GraceC

Spacers.. MMMm!!!

#10 Post by GraceC »

Hey hey! I had spacers about 2 weeks ago and I hated them soo much! It was apple sauce for breakfast, yogurt for lunch and mashed tators for dinner! GET THE PICTURE! I just got my bottom braces on and now i go back tomorrow for spacers AGAIN to make room for some appliance on the top. Good luck with that. Any other meal ideas that you may want.. just write.. HAHA Bye bye.

OneTime

#11 Post by OneTime »

I had 4 metal spacer put on for 14 days then removed. I say they are not uncomfortable, but more like a dieting tool. The first day I had to eat like no other, then 4 days unrelief sore.
I survived and glad I am beyond that.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

Tunkabean

#12 Post by Tunkabean »

I'm getting metal spacers put it on Monday....should I be worried? It kinda hurt just to put in the rubberband spacers.... :(

Brandyleigh35

#13 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Hey I guess I'm part of the Friday Spacers group also!
I get mine in tomorrow morning at 7:10, then get my brace put on the 13th.

I'm excited! I'm sure its going to be unpleasant but hey that is just one step closer to the end results! Woo hoo!

We should all post on Friday regarding how we are doing! Personally, I won't be sad if I drop a few pounds during this process, but thats just me. :lol:

Brandy

proflutist

#14 Post by proflutist »

I just got my spacers in two days ago, and I cant feel a thing! I can eat normally, bite down on my teeth, and everything. Three days have gone by without anything. I'm getting really nervous, though because my mom, (who has braces as well) said that they drove HER insane and the pain should come :shock: . Maybe not as readily as it did her, but it is probably yet to come. I am getting used to going about normally and even though I cannot feel anything, I still want my braces on and spacers off! I get my braces in 5 days!!! :D :shock:

PS: I have six in, as I got four teeth removed.

*Edited 6:32, 2/3/2006

Tunkabean

#15 Post by Tunkabean »

after 1 week of the rubberband spacers..... todays adjustment supposed to have been the putting in of the metal spacer...but all were too big :( My space just wasn't 'spaced' enough.