recycled braces - update

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Banana1214

recycled braces - update

#1 Post by Banana1214 »

A couple weeks ago I posted that my ortho said he used recycled braces sometimes and I asked you all if that was okay and got various responses. So today when I saw him, I asked about it again, and he said that he only used recycled brackets if someone popped a bracket off and he needed to replace it quickly. But everyone starts with all new braces. So that made me feel better.

I'm getting two upper teeth extraced Wednesday and Thursday my ortho is giving me an Invisilign-type retainer with tooth-colored plastic filled in where my teeth will be missing so I won't look funny while I'm waiting to get started. (I'm doing indirect bond, where they put all the brackets on at once using a mold of my teeth, so it takes a week or so to get that back from the lab).

Anyway, I'm very excited about all this and I thank you all for the advice and info you've given me the last few months.

-Vanessa

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

I am happy your ortho uses new braces!!! If my ortho would come near me with a recycled one I would have run away lol

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

missing_tooth

#3 Post by missing_tooth »

my ortho is giving me an Invisilign-type retainer with tooth-colored plastic filled in where my teeth will be missing so I won't look funny while I'm waiting to get started.
Sounds great!!!

- Missing Tooth -

weird_wired

#4 Post by weird_wired »

I don't think they could really recycle the wires.

I noticed that both my top and bottom ones were worn/rusted in places (well not actually rusted because they're not iron, but whatever - eroded?) when they were removed. Only very slightly, but they definitely weren't squeaky clean perfect.

I also found that you can permanently bend angles into the wires - ie stress the metal so it doesn't spring back perfectly.

So brackets maybe: wires no.

I await the day that someone tries to recycle dental wax ;)

Banana1214

#5 Post by Banana1214 »

So I had my two extractions done and am now wearing this retainer... Ouch! I hate it. It's not so bad when it's in, just a little uncomfortable on my gums, but when I have to take it out, it kills me. The tray has to come off all your teeth at once, which would be fine if all your teeth were reasonably straight, but my canine sticks way out and so I have to pull the tray down over that tooth while trying to get it off the rest of the teeth and it feels like I'm trying to pull my canine out. It is so painful that I hardly eat anymore because I have to remove it before I eat. Maybe I'll lose a few pounds. :)

I'll try to post a picture next time I take it out so you can see what I mean. I can't wait to get my braces on - Feb. 22! Only 11 more days of retainer hell, and then I can begin my descent into braces hell. Yay!

Way Too Old For This

#6 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Banana, I'm sorry you are in so much pain. I can tell you it will probably get better soon.

Weird_Wired, that was funny about the wax! Gross but funny.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.