Do You Eat Popcorn?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tunkabean

#16 Post by Tunkabean »

Gosh I LOVE popcorn!
My dentist actually failed to mention popcorn as a food to avoid, but I can visualize how troublesom it can be if it gets stuck in hard to reach places.
Maybe tonite I'll make me a bowl :D Then I'll post my experience

Megera_S

#17 Post by Megera_S »

I don't quite understand not being allowed to eat popcorn... I didn't for the first little while (my teeth were too sore!) but I do now... Maybe with older style braces it's easier for brackets or ligatures to pop off?
Four Wisdom Teeth Extracted: January 2000
Lower First Bicuspids Extracted: Nov. 1st, 2005
Braces on: Nov. 24th, 2005
Duration: 24 months

ingyandbert

#18 Post by ingyandbert »

I've got Damon 3s and popcorn is on my ortho's no-no list, although the tech told me she ate it every once in a while when she had her braces but said you have to be very careful.

Lucifina

#19 Post by Lucifina »

I eat one piece at a time. The un-popped ones were my favorites though so I have to not eat those now but one piece at a time and if I do the irrigator before I brush it pretty much blasts out everything :D
~Luci~ Image
It will all be worth it in the end!
UpdatedSiteImage

ingyandbert

#20 Post by ingyandbert »

I love the half popped ones -- those have always been my favorites, too!

stclair5211

#21 Post by stclair5211 »

I just got braces today and when I was getting my bag'O Goodies - they give you a lot of stuff to take home!, she mentioned NO POPCORN! She gave me a magnet to put on the fridge with phone numbers, no-no's, etc. and of all the things on the list she said, "ESPECIALLY NO POPCORN!" :lol: But I am with some of you, how bad could it be really? I guess I'll know when I pop a bracket and have to tell her what I did. :? Gum was even on the NO-NO list, but she said they encourage people to chew gum. She said it gets the muscles working. But of all the things on the list, she said NO POPCORN!!! :lol: (I just like saying that!) I guess that's the number one thing that pops brackets off if it hits just right. She did say if I wanted to eat around the kernel in the middle that was fine, but who in the world is going to do that! Not too noticable in the movies?!

i814u2c

#22 Post by i814u2c »

I LOVE POPCORN
The only trouble I have had while eating it has been back by the molar bands. My bands are partially under the gums so the popcorn sometimes gets stuck between the gum and the band. Last month I got a nancelike appliance to hold my front teeth in place while my molars go backwards. So now I have two more bands to deal with on my bicuspids and a wire and plastic thing on roof of mouth behind front teeth. Popcorn hurts if it gets up there. It makes me love my waterpik even more!!
37 YR F METAL TOP AND BOTTOM
TOP ON OCT 04
BOTTOM ON DEC 04

IndyBraceFace

#23 Post by IndyBraceFace »

My ortho. said the problem isn't popping a bracket off, it's that the hull gets stuck under molar bands and you might not even know it. It will cause a nasty infection and a lot of pain. Don't know how likely it is, but it's enough to scare me away from it.

CelestialVoices

#24 Post by CelestialVoices »

Nope, I'm being and staying away from everything I'm supposed to, I can't even eat the V-day candy my dad sent me! (he does it every year so don't think it wierd lol) :)

flotsam

Only lately

#25 Post by flotsam »

I've had braces since last Feb. and I finally couldn't take it anymore and started eating cheese popcorn -- like people have said: v-e-r-y c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y. Unfortunately, I do love the half-popped kernels.... Oh well, something to look forward to, right? :D

Knucemike

#26 Post by Knucemike »

I think i have eaten almost everything on the no no list. Most things can be eaten if you do it careful. I love popcorn. I eat small amounts and be careful to stay away from the old maids. It does really make a mess in the braces but i dont mind the extra cleanup time as long as i can eat some every so often. About the only thing i wont try is the real sticky stuff like anything with caramel.
Braces on 11/03 - Hopefully off 5/06 -Now changed to 4/07

Evelyn

#27 Post by Evelyn »

heck yes I eat popcorn!
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

littlesheila

#28 Post by littlesheila »

that's my worst problem!! miss them badly but having an expander they're really on top of my forbidden food...

naomi

#29 Post by naomi »

I eat popcorn all the time. I just had a bag of it last night with dill pickle flavouring mMmmmmm. I'm lucky because my ortho didn't have many rules about what I can't eat.
Braced on: June 28, 2004
Debanding : June 16th 2006

To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater.
Bono

Eleni

#30 Post by Eleni »

Heck yes! I just had some tonight. How can you go see a movie and not eat some? I just make sure to especially floss thoroughly and inspect my gums for any irritation.
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story