What do you think of people with crooked teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braceface1230

#31 Post by braceface1230 »

So, two wrongs make a right? :?

ingyandbert

#32 Post by ingyandbert »

Way Too Old For This, you're welcome. Genetics is everything when it comes to teeth. My brother has really crooked, yellow teeth and has never wanted them fixed for some reason. But his wife comes from a family of 5 kids who all have perfect, very white teeth and none of whom have ever had braces (and rarely even a cavity). I was so relieved to see that my nephew inherited her family's teeth and not my brother's!

My teeth are not nearly as bad as my brother's. I only had a few out of line and my color's not as yellow as his. He doesn't even know I have braces now, but I'm sure he'll say something when he finds out. If he gives me a hard time (which he loves to do) I'll just tell him I'm getting my teeth fixed cuz I'm not a wimp like him, lol!

Dodger(UK)

#33 Post by Dodger(UK) »

I couldn't possibly feel any negativity towards people with crooked teeth, as it took me the best part of my 20's to seek a road to correction in view of my personal situation. I would hope, if I knew them well enough, to possibly touch upon the subject of what orthodontics have done for me, and what they could do for them. If they were happy with the way they are, then that would be fine.

Being riddiculed about your teeth, is an awfull experience, because you can't smile or retaliate back, because you will in effect by showing them the one thing they are calling you about. Even though situations like this tend to happen during your school life, you can continue to be effected by the fallout way into your adult life. Low self esteem is a morale sapping condition that drains your confidence, and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. Thankfully, no matter how bad it can or may seem to get, there's always that opportunity god willing, to pull yourself back up that hill you've been hurtling down for so long, you can't remember.

Betty Bat

#34 Post by Betty Bat »

I've read a lot in this thread about "rotting, decayed teeth" and yellowed or discolored teeth. I guess I'm one of those people that you wouldn't approve of. I have cavities in two of my front teeth - they have been filled more than once, but the fillings discolor or come out. And, I'm a heavy coffee drinker and that takes its toll also.

I haven't read anything in the thread about the thing that has affected how I treated (or didn't treat) these things. I've had a severe "needle phobia" for many years, because of some treatments that I got as a child. It takes a lot for me to go to a doctor if I know I'm going to get a shot or give blood and it takes a lot for me to go to a dentist if I know I'm going to get novocaine for a filling. I did go to a dentist who used nitrous oxide and just put me out, even for simple fillings.

I just wanted to point out that there are other reasons for the conditions of people's teeth, besides not having enough money or not caring about how they look.

spragers

#35 Post by spragers »

I'm not going to judge a person solely by their teeth, but I certainly notice and pay more attention to other people's teeth. For example, my girlfriend has great teeth (braces in high school). What bugs me is when I see someone on TV who looks like they had veneers on top (perfect white teeth), because when they open their mouth and smile and you see their bottom teeth are completely screwed up...

johnnys_angel

#36 Post by johnnys_angel »

I personally think that a small (VERY small) gap between the two front teeth is endearing. No, I wouldn't judge someone if they had crooked teeth, or even yellowish teeth, but if they were EXTREMELY yellow, then I might think twice. But personality is the only thing that matters to me when it comes to dating/not dating someone
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

butterfly

#37 Post by butterfly »

mookyyzed wrote:So, two wrongs make a right? :?
The underlying question is: If someone had suffered discrimination of some kind in the past and has overcome it does this make him a person who has to follow higher moral standards than the average person? Why? This is just another discrimination.

Shouldn't those people who were the offenders in the first place be the ones to be judged here?

I would like to add this question: If you seriously think that crooked teeth are nothing bad at all why did you get braces?
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

Brandyleigh35

#38 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Not to be rude, but I have to say that not everyone is so shallow that they judge people by their teeth. A person is more than just the sum of his or her parts. Granted teeth are very visible, and often times directly connected to the first impression one gets from a person, but they are not everything. Personality is far more important to me then whether a person has perfect, pearly whites. I really truthfully don't give it much thought. I can honestly say that most of the people I know, have not had any kind of work done on their teeth. Their teeth are nothing to rave about, however, they are clean, and they are such a miniscule, if not almost invisible part of a person, once you truly get to know them.
Everyone has something special about them, straight teeth do not make a person who is ugly on the inside pretty. They simply mask that which they do not want others to see (visually) However, it does not change the fact that they are an unhappy person on the inside.

I also think it is important to consider that many people don't have insurance or that they may be financially unable to get braces. I personally have many crowns and fillings. My parents could not afford dental insurance or orthodontics when I was young. So.....I was stuck with what God gave me.

At the risk of being berated here, I read this topic and was like "you have got to be kidding me" To me it just shows peoples immaturity, and lack of real knowledge about what is truly important in life, to be judging people based on the appearance of their teeth.

I agree with KK, I'm 41 years old, I had more than made peace with my somewhat imperfect teeth. I never gave them a second thought. I geniunely like myself, I'm a good person, attractive, smart, and confident. My husband adores me (just the way I am) as do my children. I don't need perfectly straight teeth to impress them. My ortho work is strictly to relieve symptoms of a much more serious issues "sleep apnea" If there was any other way to completely get rid of it without going this route, you can bet I would be the first to sign up on the list. Truthfully the whole orthodontic thing is of little interest to me, but a fringe benefit of a medically necessary procedure.

Brandy

missing_tooth

#39 Post by missing_tooth »

Genetics is everything when it comes to teeth.
I think I inherited my grandmothers teeth. Tons of cavities have been filled, root canals etc... She had a full set of dentures at 25. While I am older than that, I've put ton of work into my teeth.
I would like to add this question: If you seriously think that crooked teeth are nothing bad at all why did you get braces?
Not everyone who gets braces has crooked, or very crooked teeth. Most people would consider my teeth strait. However, due to an impacted tooth and a molar drifting and turning on it's side, it was about preventing problems up the road.
Butterfly I realise from reading your posts that you have been badly treated in the past with regard to your teeth, but please don't think that any form of revenge will make you feel better ... I can guarantee it won't! Instead ... draw positive energy from knowing that you're now making an improvement in your life and that you're in a position to do that!
Thanks for pointing that out KK. It was a coworker who had the most amazing strait white teeth help convince me to get braces. I was shocked to learn this guy had braces, and implants. In fact I ended up going to his orthodontist.

- Missing Tooth -

butterfly

#40 Post by butterfly »

KK wrote:please don't think that any form of revenge will make you feel better
Hey... the revenge note was more a joke (saw the little devil smileys?) I would never ever lower myself to the level of making fun of anyone's appearance. This is just plain primitive. Not my style.

In my opinion it is a good thing to change yourself to the better if you can. This won't change after 1.5-2 years in braces.
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

lilpikachu

#41 Post by lilpikachu »

I've always noticed people's teeth because before I got braces, I was really unhappy with mine.

I've got this habit of commenting on people's smiles (in a good way of course) but I don't think anything badly of people with crooked teeth because I don't have perfect teeth myself (yet hehe).

Money is always going to be factor and so is genetics. Not everyone can have perfect teeth and not everyone puts perfect teeth as #1 on their priorities list.

I honestly never considered getting braces until about a year ago (even though I knew my teeth were pretty bad - well to me).

flotsam

#42 Post by flotsam »

My only tooth-related prejudice is when people have bad oral hygiene. I almost always think crooked teeth are cute! Just not on me.... :)

braceface1230

#43 Post by braceface1230 »

Then I'm sure you'd find me down right adorable.... with teeth like mine.

flotsam

#44 Post by flotsam »

mookyyzed wrote:Then I'm sure you'd find me down right adorable.... with teeth like mine.
Hee! It's just that my BF asked me this very question a while ago (his teeth are fairly straight on top, kind of wonky on the bottom, but nicely colored and shaped and whatnot). I'd never really thought about it before. I do pay more attention to people's teeth now, but more anthropologically or something, and not from some "Eww" point of view.

Destor

#45 Post by Destor »

Hmmmm, I wouldn't hold it against the person, a guy espescially couldn't care less if it was a friend with crooked teeth, and for dating it would never stop me from being interested in someone.

But I'd be lieing if I didn't say that in the future, I'll be partial to girls that have gone to the same trouble that we have, tit for tat.
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom