Elastics what to expect?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Rebraced

Elastics what to expect?

#1 Post by Rebraced »

I am getting elastics in two weeks when I go in for my next adjustment and really don't know what to expect. I guess I will get a new archwire with some sort of attachment for the elsatics. I was wondering a few things. Do these things show when you are talking or does it just depend on where thet are located? Also do they come in different colors? and how does it effect your eating? I am a concerned about adding more stuff in my already crowded mouth....
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Braced on 9/20/05 Top and Bottom
Clear brackets with wire ties

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

Elastics generally come in the 1 colour but you can buy different colours from the internet as long as you make sure you get them in the right size and strength. I believe it was www.jawproducts.com that someone reccomended.

As for the space issue, like all things you will have to get used to having them in your mouth but they wont cause you too much of a problem. Probably a little bit of tenderness in the teeth and you probably will feel resistance (Depending on the strength of them) when opening your mouth. They sometimes can be visible depending on where they are but not that noticable especially since they are normally clear.

I belive i am getting elastics in 2 days so i will let you know how if goes if i get them.

Keith

#3 Post by Keith »

To be honest, I had the most pain with the elastics. It reminded me of when I first became braced and having to adjust to them. Elastics are quite restrictive, but the pain only lasted about 3 days. I didn't feel much pain from being braced or powerchains, but the elastics, for me, were the worst.

People will definitely notice the elastics, but I liked that they forced me to talk more slowly and I really was forced to pronounce all words correctly. I beleive that elastics are also a great part of the treatment, meaning that things really are moving along. Try to be excited for them.

Keith

#4 Post by Keith »

decisionmade

#5 Post by decisionmade »

My elastics only gave me discomfort for two days and mostly in the form of a mild headache. They cannot been seen when I speak and I forget they are there..They are really a non issue for me..hopefully it will be the same for you Rebraced.
crowding, mild overjet, and crossbite
SARPE AND R.P Expander: 7-14-05
extraction : 9-15-05
Brace date: 9-29-05
Expander out! 1-12-06!!!!! after 6 long mos.
Taking them off!!! Feb 26, 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5209

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

You guys are lucky...my TMJ pain was sharp and unrelenting with the configure 8 elastics. They took them off but I hope the next configeration and strength will be milder for me. The night was the worst as I felt I was clenching and grinding more.

P.S. I checked out the www.jawproducts.com website...interesting product that Aligner Chewie. :shock:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Rebraced

#7 Post by Rebraced »

WOW thanks for all the info. I guess like anything else you just get used to it. I am interested to see how these elastics are going to work. I am getting close to the end of treatment so the wires are getting thicker and the ortho is getting creative (lol). I was going to try some color ligs but backed out, I guess I am to chicken....

ssfw

#8 Post by ssfw »

Hi Rebraced,

You only have to wear braces for a few months (you just got them placed in 9/2005) - you are so lucky. You must have just needed a minor orthodontic correction. If I was you, if you want colored ligs, get them before the braces are removed, I'm sure you will be so glad that you did. Maybe try them on the lower braces first? I enjoy color and I bet the colored ligs will even make you enjoy having the braces.

Good luck.

ssfw
Rebraced wrote:WOW thanks for all the info. I guess like anything else you just get used to it. I am interested to see how these elastics are going to work. I am getting close to the end of treatment so the wires are getting thicker and the ortho is getting creative (lol). I was going to try some color ligs but backed out, I guess I am to chicken....
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

adollface

#9 Post by adollface »

I really had no major discomfort in my teeth when I got my elastics 5 weeks ago. I did get headaches for the first few days but they weren't too bad. You can totally see mine when I talk but like stated already they do make you talk slower. I was able to get colored elastics from my ortho. It was completely my choice whether I went with colored or clear. I like to match the colors to my outfit for the day. My girls think it's really cute. I have to take mine out to eat because they are too close together for me to get food into my mouth (unless I cut it up very small) with them on. Good luck with your's and hopefully the pain won't be too bad.

Amy
Damon 2's top and bottom
braced 12-16-04

Knucemike

#10 Post by Knucemike »

I have never really had any pain from the elastics. Its more of a constant pressure. They are more annoying than painful. I have bought colored ones from JawProducts. They are great to deal with
Braces on 11/03 - Hopefully off 5/06 -Now changed to 4/07

Rebraced

#11 Post by Rebraced »

Yes, I was to have braces for about three to six months. Looks like six or longer the way things are going but that is OK as long as the results are good I don't care how long it takes. My braces really don't bother me so it's not a big time factor. This is my second time in braces so I just had a crowding issue.
You are all getting me excited about trying some color ligs before my braces are taken off. I wonder if my ortho will think I am crazy since I have clear brackets and now this will attract attention to them.

Oh get this.... I went out to diner tonight and the waitress (in her 30's) was wearing metal braces. She came out with my cheesburger on a hard roll which I could not chew so I had to order someting else. I told here I just had an adjustment on my braces which she very well understood. She was very friendly to us after the whole incident (lol)

mtbrncofn

Re: Elastics what to expect?

#12 Post by mtbrncofn »

Rebraced wrote:I am getting elastics in two weeks when I go in for my next adjustment and really don't know what to expect. I guess I will get a new archwire with some sort of attachment for the elsatics. I was wondering a few things. Do these things show when you are talking or does it just depend on where thet are located? Also do they come in different colors? and how does it effect your eating? I am a concerned about adding more stuff in my already crowded mouth....
I'll tell you what to expect. Pain and a lot of it. This was by far, my most painful phase having braces. Stock up on Advil. I got used to them after about 5 days, but man were those 5 days hell. Oh yeah and drooling too. It seems to produce more drool.

I think most people are told to take their elastics out when eating. You can tell when they are getting stretched, and by the time you eat again, you usually need to change them anyway.

Good luck!
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

Dark_angel

#13 Post by Dark_angel »

I got my elastics today to help close my extraction gaps and i have felt a little bit of pressure but its certainly not painfull. If they cause problems when you first get them try building up the time you spend in them. For the first few days do about 3 hours in then have an hour break etc. Build this up unitll it is the required ammount.

Mine are not that restrictive but i am certainly not feeling any pain. Good luck.