Noes!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ice

Noes!

#1 Post by Ice »

I get my extractions tomorrow, I only get two premolars taken out but I'm still allowed to be scared! It's a perfectly healthy part of me that is going to be ripped out of my mouth :(

How did everyone here get over the feeling of having a part of you removed?

dena

#2 Post by dena »

i was terrified but it really wasn't bad at all. just give yourself time to rest and plan on soup only. it's a pain but if you are careful yoiu shouldnt have any problems afterwards either. good luck!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Silverware

#3 Post by Silverware »

I havn't had my premolars taken out yet. We're still waiting to see how this expander works before we extract. I did have my wisdom teeth taken out, in doses! I had one really bad one on my top row that had to come out immeadiately, and then the last 3 were removed months later. Having a routine extraction of a fully emerged tooth is nothing to be too worried about. It will take a few seconds and then you will be out of the chair and on your way home! You won't feel anything, and if you take your medication after as its prescribed, the pain should be minimal. Upper teeth seem to heal much easier than lowers, so I wish you luck!

Dark_angel

#4 Post by Dark_angel »

Am i wierd for keeping my 4 premolars that i had extracted in september? :oops:

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

I kept my daughter's baby teeth. And my cat's baby tooth :-)

braces-boy

#6 Post by braces-boy »

Just got a TPA fitted now I soon get 2 teeth out, I hope I won't be in much pain as the TPA is bad enough. :(

Raspberry

#7 Post by Raspberry »

I'm getting 4 pre-molars out on Feb 16th.
I'm kinda worried about it. The pain doesn't bother me that much. it's the fact that it's irreversible. I already had my 4 wisdom teeth out + 4 premolars makes 8 in total.(you can call me mrs. Math Wizz).. that just seems like a whole lot of teeth!

sleater

#8 Post by sleater »

I had 4 premolar extractions last Friday and it was a lot easier than I expected. I worked myself up so much for weeks and was terrified! I found that the spacers that I had put in on Monday bothered me more than the extractions.

I know exactly what you mean about the "feeling of having a part of you removed." I am being very sentimental about this whole experience. I have the teeth sitting in a baggy on my coffee table for now. I know it sounds weird, but I am going to keep them there until I am fully braced and the pain subsides, it's a reminder of what I've done so far and how this is all worth it.

Part of me is even going to miss my crazy crooked teeth! I am 29 and have always been that insecure girl with the crooked teeth. I'm sure straight teeth won't cure all my insecurities but I worried at first that I might change for the worse, personality wise. I feel like my insecurity humbles me in a way. Has anyone else felt like that? Or am I just crazy :crazy: !

nimo

#9 Post by nimo »

Insecurity does make you humble, but that's not always a good thing.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008