braced, with regrets...maybe

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jcdamon3

#16 Post by jcdamon3 »

Hi,

I am quickly approaching my late forties (ahem) and I got the damon3 brackets which look pretty much like regular metal braces. I am a single female, so it took a lot of guts to do this. I refuse to date until they are off!

Since I got my braces I felt a little bad about my looks and decided to get a total makeover, hair, makeup, clothes. Why did I wait so long?

I got my braces on about 6+ months ago and have had two guys approach me, one at costco and one at Hollywood Video (this is a video/dvd rental store for those of you not in US). The Costco guy gave me his card and told me to call him (which I didn't) and the video guy hinted strongly that he wanted my phone number (which I didn't give him).
Okay this may not seem like a big deal but I have not been approached by any men like this for many, many years. Or is it decades?

Now I am wondering if guys just have a "thing" for braces, but I am pretty sure the costco guy didn't see them until after he approached me. The video guy I think had to notice them since we were waiting in line and speaking to each other. Anyway they were both way too young for me.

usa1

#17 Post by usa1 »

Just wait. You will get used to them. Everyone goes through the shock stage and then the what have I done stage. You still have several stages to go. You will get to the it really dosent bother me and then finally to the they are just another part of your body stage. Stay with metal they are more durable and come off easier. It took me about 2 months to get to the last stage.
Braces July 26 2005
Treatment time 24 months
Damon 3's top Damon 2's bottom

Mel-UK

#18 Post by Mel-UK »

Hello,

I just got my braces on today upper - lower to follow in 2 months.

I'm also in my thirties... I wish that I'd done this ages ago, in fact it's taken me a few years to make the decision. Although I've got no pain...yet... I'm trying not to panic...and rip them off. Even though I wish I'd done it ages ago I'm still asking myself if I've done the right thing (':roll:')(':?:') Full of contradictions(':?').

I also have Damon3, because the ortho recommended them and one of his assistants has them on and said she had had the ceramics before and these were much less painful. They do look horrible though... It's really good to read all the encouraging posts here... javascript:emoticon(':)'). I'm going to take it really slowly - try not to look in the mirror too much and hope that in a couple of weeks I'll be used to being a metal mouth.
Last edited by Mel-UK on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damon3 upper & lowers
plus bite turbos on upper front teeth and one elastic closing a gap on front lower teeth and one closing a gap on upper front teeth. Elastics on hooks both sides.

tandi

#19 Post by tandi »

my appointment is for thursday and i honestly haven't been able to think of anything else. im usually more decisive than this. i've easily handled harder issues than this. i can't believe im getting knock down by of a pair of braces. one minute i settle on going with my original thought and go with the metal. the next im panic stricken and decide to ask for the ceramics. i just really can't decide.
i don't think i care too much about what other people will think of me having them. its just when i look in the mirror i cringe. i went to work friday and most people were curious but supportive. i only had one guy who told me i was to old for braces and he was kidding.

seriously every few hours i think of this and i feel sick to my stomach. i know i'll be fine once its over but damn...i wish my ortho had just put them on all at once like she had planned to. and then i'd just have to deal with what ever because right now feel like a fool.

thanks for the support.

weird_wired

#20 Post by weird_wired »

I am a huge ceramics fan.

BUT I would say for the sake of your veneers, if the metal is better than stick with that. It would presumably be really expensive to get the veneers redone or whatever if ceramic was going to affect them in any way.

Don't feel a fool - tell your ortho your concerns.

But like others, I recommend waiting to make a decision. Remember (assuming you have sufficient funds) you can switch to ceramics at any time if you so choose. So you may as well delay the decision until you are totally, utterly sure about it.

MsTiaLia

Re: braced, with regrets...maybe

#21 Post by MsTiaLia »

tandi wrote: I know i've only had them on for 2 days but I'm having regrets choosing the metal ones. I really don't like the way they look. I guess I didn't realize how noticable they are.
Hi Tandi,
Like many others have said, I would say give it time. When I first got my metal brackets on the top, they looked so noticeable, but then I realized that most people don't even notice them!!! I had them on for nearly 2 weeks before anybody who didn't already know said, "Did you get braces?" And I smile A LOT! So if they didn't notice them on my teeth, they aren't that noticeable...LOL Also, take some random pics of yourself and look at them in a couple of days and see what you think. One of my friends has the clear brackets and has had them for more than 2 years and she cautioned against them when I got mine b/c she said they still feel bulky in her mouth. My ortho confirmed that they would feel bulkier. Anyhow, I'm happy with the metal. I'm a few weeks into it (isn't it sad I don't even know how long I've had them???) and I often forget they are there! Good Luck

tandi

#22 Post by tandi »

MsTiaLia what kind of braces are you wearing and what color are they. they look lavender or is that just the picture. They look so cute compared to mine. what on earth do you need braces for :lol:

MsTiaLia

#23 Post by MsTiaLia »

Hi Tandi,
I have metal brackets on top and none on the bottom yet! I have pink ligs. If it weren't for them, I don't think most people would see my braces!

And the million dollar question...why I need braces! Well, my bottom teeth are pretty crowded and not really crooked, but the whole arch looks slanted--if that makes sense! Unfortunately, you cannot see any of these problems, as they are hidden by my nearly 100% overbite! The main reason I have braces on the top is to open up my bite and close the gap between my two front teeth (which doesn't really bother me at all!) It is kind of funny, but the one thing that doesn't bother me much (the gap) is almost closed! I can't wait to get my bottom braces so I can see those teeth move!

tandi

#24 Post by tandi »

i just got back from my appointment. as it turns out i didnt really have much of a choice in terms of what types of braces i could get. i told my ortho that i didn't like the way the bottom braces looked and was considering clear braces on top. she told me that because of the veneers she didnt recommend them, they might break and she was worried about trying to put them on. that sort of made up my mind for me so i had the metal ones put on. and let me tell you they look horrible. :cry: But after the coversation we had about all the work i have to have done, how they look is the least of my worries. from having teeth moved back, possible extraction, impants and veneers, this is going to take years (24 to 30 months)
what did i get my self into :?:

MsTiaLia

#25 Post by MsTiaLia »

Awww Tandi,
I'm sorry you're not happy with your braces. Hopefully the shock will wear off in a week or so. I know it is hard to believe, but I think most everyone else will agree with me when I say that you really will get used to them in no time. Good luck!

MsTiaLia

Aurelia

#26 Post by Aurelia »

Dont be down about it Tandi, my 2 front teeth are porcelain veneers and I also have the metal brackets, I had to have the metal ones as my Ortho said my treatment would be a hell of a lot quicker than using ceramic, all he said about my veneers was that he had to be a tadge more careful in putting the brackets on them. My main concern was that I didnt want the braces staining the veneers, after all I've had them for 13 years now and they still look like new.

I've had my upper brace for 2 weeks now, its amazing how quick you get used to it, I actually find myself smiling a whole lot more and when I have my picture taken I actually show my teeth, this is weird as I NEVER used to show my teeth! The only thing that reminds me that it is there is the cuts I am getting in my cheeks from the wire and the fact that I cannot bite into food (how I miss that)!! but I really wish I had done this years ago.

Good luck on your journey :D
All good things come to those that wait

Mel-UK

#27 Post by Mel-UK »

Hi Tandi,
I'm sorry you didn't have a choice. But it's good your Ortho knew which were best for the veneers. Good luck with them. What does it feel like having top and bottom... I've only got top at the mo.

Mel
Damon3 upper & lowers
plus bite turbos on upper front teeth and one elastic closing a gap on front lower teeth and one closing a gap on upper front teeth. Elastics on hooks both sides.

tandi

#28 Post by tandi »

Mel, i had my bottoms put on first and they didn't bother me, i had no pain. the tops are cutting into my cheeks and burn a bit. im using lots of wax and today im purchasing ambesol. im also finding it a little hard to laugh and smile. i have full lips and every time i do, my lip get stuck on my to braces :lol:

belmikry

#29 Post by belmikry »

lol tandi I have the same problem too- which makes me try and unstick them with my tongue, making my expression lokk like i just sucked on a lemon or something :lol: glad to hear your bottoms didn't hurt! don't forget warm salt water- it will help your skin get used to the new braces as well as toughen it up- and prevent canker sores ;)
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

sammylynn

#30 Post by sammylynn »

I'm not sure if womone already said this, but here it goes... Most Orthos won't put anything other then metal on your bottoms regardless. because they are stronger and your bottom teeth take more of a beating they would break off if they were anything else. I too have metal on the bottom but I have clear on top, and you really don't see the bottoms anyway. And its is true after a while you o't eben see your braces anymore.. I've had mine on for 8 months now and even my husband says he forgets I have them:) Good Luck