Just Got Braces This Morning!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

proflutist

Just Got Braces This Morning!!

#1 Post by proflutist »

Owwwwww! I just got my braces in this morning and it went fine until I got to school, ironically enough. I had to go to the nurses office to see if she had tylenol or something, but I had to have an authorization form to take medicine. :cry: I have two chains to close my extraction spaces, and a turbo bite. My teeth hurt really bad. My mom reccomends cold things, does anyone else have an effective remedy? :?:

Brandyleigh35

#2 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

I just got mine on Monday, so I feel your pain! I have been alternating tylenol and advil every 4 hours for the last two days. I find that warm salt water rinses help to toughen up your mouth, and warm drinks like tea make mine achey teeth feel better. I have not tried anything cold....... I will say that even after only two days it does feel like it is getting better though! Don't be afraid to use the pain relievers if you need them though.....I think staying on top of the pain is better than waiting til they are really really hurting!

Brandy

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

Advil's are good to take. You mom is right...cold really makes it feel better though it doesn't take the pain away. Stuff like really cold smoothies, ice cream, yogurt ...anything cold will make your feel feel better.

Congrats on getting braces!! Things will get better soon...the first 3 days are usually the worse.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Granola

#4 Post by Granola »

Congratulations on getting braced!

I also had mine put on this morning (only the uppers today).

I took ibuprofen before my appointment, and after as well. In my opinion ibuprofen, being an anti-inflammatory, is more effective for this type of tooth pain than Tylenol.

Hope the initial soreness is over very soon for you.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

Raspberry

#5 Post by Raspberry »

I had my braces put on yesterday morning. The pain isn't that bad for me (knock on wood) But my archwire isn't connected to my molar bands until after I get my extractions, so I'm assuming it will hurt more then.

Congrats all on getting braced! I'm so glad to have some people with similar B-Days!

ingyandbert

#6 Post by ingyandbert »

I didn't feel any pain at all, but my teeth did feel too sensitive for brushing for the first few days. I brushed as lightly as possible and then used a lot of mouthwash. The warm salt water really helps a lot more than you think. Load up on wax as much as you need to; your mouth will toughen up and you gradually won't need it as much. Get this stuff called Glyoxide for mouth sores -- it heals them practically overnight. Good luck!

oklanole

#7 Post by oklanole »

I also joined the braces crowed this morning. Metal on top and bottom with spacers. I also had the joy of having them put on on the same day that I had 4 bicuspids removed. YAHOO!!

missing_tooth

#8 Post by missing_tooth »

Congradulations!!

- Missing Tooth -

Dagovernor

Friday is B-Day!!!

#9 Post by Dagovernor »

I am getting braced on Friday!!! After reading the posts concerning the pain, it looks as though my weekend is screwed!!! Question-on the tops, do you guys recommend metal or ceramic???

Flora2006

Re: Friday is B-Day!!!

#10 Post by Flora2006 »

Dagovernor wrote:I am getting braced on Friday!!! After reading the posts concerning the pain, it looks as though my weekend is screwed!!! Question-on the tops, do you guys recommend metal or ceramic???
This really is up to you...both have their share of pros/cons...if anything, talk to your ortho...but that really is your own choice.

good luck on getting the braces soon :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

missing_tooth

#11 Post by missing_tooth »

I am getting braced on Friday!!! After reading the posts concerning the pain, it looks as though my weekend is screwed!!! Question-on the tops, do you guys recommend metal or ceramic???
Well, I wouldn't put it like that. When I got braced it only hurt for about a day. It was intolerable pain either. It would come and go, and as always, your milage may vary.

Metal or ceramic, unless your ortho tell you otherwise it's really personal choice. I choose metal due to the smaller size, and I didn't want to worry about staining ligs. But it's not like I'm looking to hide my braces either.

- missing tooth -

oklanole

#12 Post by oklanole »

I must say that if I did not have the 4 extractions, my mouth would feel a lot better. Two of the teeth I had removed were easy, but the other two broke off and the roots were odd. Needless to say, those two teeth had to be surgically removed. Therefore, I do not think that I will leave the bed for the next three or four days.
That was not to scare anyone, just my experience so far. I cannot tell that I would have much pain from the braces my mouth mostly hurts near the extractions.