Nitrous Gas & Pain -- ques.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

seeminglyshy

Nitrous Gas & Pain -- ques.

#1 Post by seeminglyshy »

Hi fellow bracers

I have a full mouth of braces and I'm loving it!

Problem: 4 wisdom teeth which arent allowing the top go in as they should; they were also causing extreme pain a few months back.

Finally decided to take the plunge and get the extraction.

4 at the same time --- gasp! But I know its for the best.

Question: I've decided to go the Nitrous Gas route but I'm not aware of the pain associated with this. I've gone through older posts and it seems that many of you have gone the NG+IV route. Has anyone done the NG ONLY thing?

What should I expect?

Should I consider the IV route instead. Monetarily its a major difference - $944 versus $622

I'd love and appreciate your imput.

--Shy one??

IndyBraceFace

#2 Post by IndyBraceFace »

I had the IV when I got my wisdom teeth taken out and it was the best choice for me. I slept through the whole thing and didn't have any problems.

seeminglyshy

#3 Post by seeminglyshy »

Thanks Indy.

It seems like NG+IV is the way to go.

I just dont think I want to do the full monty.

I was hoping the laughing gas would suffice.

seeminglyshy

#4 Post by seeminglyshy »

Lucyloop wrote:Hi Seeminglyshy!

Firstly, I'm extra envious of you getting your wisdoms out! :D Mine were due to be taken out, but I've been told they can't do it until after my braces come off... so a few more years of pain & flares for me! :roll:

If this helps at all - I had one upper removed with just local anaesthetic injection in 2004... Did not hurt at all & no probs thankfully!

To be honest, the best thing you can do is go down the route which your ortho/surgeon advises. If they are happy to do it with the gas then you shouldn't experience any problems. Either way, try not to worry about any of it. I'm sure your mouth will feel much better without the pesky things anyway! :)

Good luck & let us know how you get on!

Take care

LUCY xxx
Hehe,

Thanks LucyLoop!!

I love your warm welcome :lol:

Wow, so you were told you couldnt take them out because of your braces? bummer. Was your ortho the one who told you this or your oral surgeon? Did you ever ask for a second opinion?

I ask because you mentioned flareups. I'd hate to know that you were in pain and there could be something that could be done about it :(

I think I'll be going the nitrous route being that its more cost efficient. I'll keep my fingers (and toesies) crossed that there'll be no pain.

Thanks for writing back to me Lucy!

ShyOne??
Braced: 9/23/05

Having 4 wisdom teeth extracted: 2/17/06 *ouchie*

Ceramic on top, metal below.

Duration: 2 years

KJM

#5 Post by KJM »

welcome seeminglyshy!
I had my wisdoms taken out a few years ago ( 5ish) and had IV sedation. I tend to get sick from the anestesia so I woke up feeling terrible but as far as pain, I felt great ( they gave me some pain meds)

My hubby just had his out... 3 with just local novicane and he had NO problems with it- no pain, no trouble at all. The last one he had to have taken out ( it was very large, and wrapped around the bone) so he had IV sedation- it went fine also, but he felt that it was an easier process with the novicane ( less hassle, when it was over it was over. He could drive home, no issues.)

I have never had nitrous gas before though so I cant comment on this but whatever way you go it should be painless. If your unsure you can ask your Dr and see what he has to say about it.
Good Luck!
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

seeminglyshy

#6 Post by seeminglyshy »

KJM wrote:welcome seeminglyshy!
I had my wisdoms taken out a few years ago ( 5ish) and had IV sedation. I tend to get sick from the anestesia so I woke up feeling terrible but as far as pain, I felt great ( they gave me some pain meds)

My hubby just had his out... 3 with just local novicane and he had NO problems with it- no pain, no trouble at all. The last one he had to have taken out ( it was very large, and wrapped around the bone) so he had IV sedation- it went fine also, but he felt that it was an easier process with the novicane ( less hassle, when it was over it was over. He could drive home, no issues.)

I have never had nitrous gas before though so I cant comment on this but whatever way you go it should be painless. If your unsure you can ask your Dr and see what he has to say about it.
Good Luck!

Thanks Kim!

I'm glad all went well with you and the hubster :)

Ah, sedation seems the selection of choice. I will definitely know how I far with the nitrous. I was told that I cant drive myself there for safety reasons. Not to wear hears and to ensure that I wear a short sleeved blouse (I believe thats for easier access if I chose the sedation method)

I know that I'll have to eat mega soft food shortly thereafter so I'm going to go shopping a few days before for stuff like yogurt, easy mashed potatoes, smoothies, fruits, etc.

QUESTION: How long does it typically take to recover?

According to the surgeon if I get it done on Friday I can return to work on Monday....

not so sure about that since he's removing all 4 wisdoms :shock:

KJM

#7 Post by KJM »

seeminglyshy wrote:QUESTION: How long does it typically take to recover?

According to the surgeon if I get it done on Friday I can return to work on Monday....

not so sure about that since he's removing all 4 wisdoms :shock: [/color]

I felt great by the time I got home ( couple hours after extraction ) I was even eating burgers for dinner that night, no issue there. By the next morning I felt great and was off the pain meds. I do think that you will feel fine by Monday ( even though this seems shocking! I wouldnt have thought so either prior to having mine out, but basing it on my own experience and my hubbys experience I am sure unless you get dry socket or something you should feel good by then.)
Good Luck! When do you go and have them out?
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

seeminglyshy

#8 Post by seeminglyshy »

KJM wrote: Good Luck! When do you go and have them out?
Ah Kim,

Thanks for giving me such hope! Now I'm actually beginning to look forward to it again (initially I was excited, then...not so much, kind of wore off, now the feeling's back! :lol: )

I'll be taking them out next Friday, the 17th at 8am. I was told not to eat ANYTHING 6 hours before or else they wouldnt be able to do the surgery (anyone know why that is?)

I cant wait to do this and finally get this over with. I think once I do my overbite will be corrected muuuccch sooner!

Shy One??

Betty Bat

#9 Post by Betty Bat »

Welcome (and howdy). I think there was a thread about this recently (Extractions with IV sedations, started on 03 Dec 2005). Hope this link works!
viewtopic.php?t=8357&start=0&postdays=0 ... highlight=

I had two teeth pulled (one wisdom tooth [upper left] and one leftover baby tooth [lower left]) with IV sedation. It went very well and I had very little discomfort. In fact, I've been hearing about a lot more people who have had very little discomfort after having wisdom teeth pulled, including my niece who went out with her friends the evening after having teeth pulled. But, of, course, every case is different. We can just reassure you that we know of people who have had very little trouble with it.

A few words about the anesthetic. Yes, you will not be able to eat for some number of hours before the anesthetic (like 6 to 8) - follow what your doctor tells you here. It's so your stomach is empty to reduce the possibility of choking on aspirated food while you are under (there are some much less appetizing ways to say this).

And, you will not be able to drive yourself home, so make sure that someone goes with you. You'll probably be sleepy for several hours after you get home.

Hope all goes well for you.

seeminglyshy

#10 Post by seeminglyshy »

Lucyloop wrote: They do sadly hurt all the time and the gums are ulcerated around them, but as they are not "infected and my cheeks aren't swollen" it ain't gonna happen!! :evil:

Nevermind. If things get too bad, I will put pressure on my dentist and my GP perhaps to ask them to put a word in maybe. We'll see.

I hope everything goes well for you though.... Keep us posted!

Good luck & Take care

LUCY xxx
Thanks for the well wishes Lucy!! :) I'm sorry to hear that they hurt so much and are ulcerated :cry: Are there things that you do that helps with the pain? Ambesol comes to mind but I dont know how much help that would be. It will get better though, I promise.

BTW, I read your story, thanks so much for sharing it. You have a lovely home and I wish you all the best in your renovations. I found a site once which was geared towards renovating and decorating on a budget; I'll have to see if I can dig it up!

ShyOne???

seeminglyshy

#11 Post by seeminglyshy »

Betty Bat wrote:Welcome (and howdy). I think there was a thread about this recently (Extractions with IV sedations, started on 03 Dec 2005). Hope this link works!
viewtopic.php?t=8357&start=0&postdays=0 ... highlight=

I had two teeth pulled (one wisdom tooth [upper left] and one leftover baby tooth [lower left]) with IV sedation. It went very well and I had very little discomfort. In fact, I've been hearing about a lot more people who have had very little discomfort after having wisdom teeth pulled, including my niece who went out with her friends the evening after having teeth pulled. But, of, course, every case is different. We can just reassure you that we know of people who have had very little trouble with it.

A few words about the anesthetic. Yes, you will not be able to eat for some number of hours before the anesthetic (like 6 to 8) - follow what your doctor tells you here. It's so your stomach is empty to reduce the possibility of choking on aspirated food while you are under (there are some much less appetizing ways to say this).

And, you will not be able to drive yourself home, so make sure that someone goes with you. You'll probably be sleepy for several hours after you get home.

Hope all goes well for you.
Thanks for the warm reception Betty.

You definitely learn something new everyday, I was wondering why it was necessary for the stomach to be empty! lol, and thank you for explaining it in an appetizing manner, :lol:

Thank you for the well wishes.

Huon

#12 Post by Huon »

Sorry to be negative about nitrous oxide but I had a most unpleasant experience with it, some years ago.
I had rammed a huge flake of paint under my thumbnail and the hospital decided to remove it under nitrous oxide. I felt every move they made but was unable to make any sign that iIwas in agony all the time they were working on me. They didn't even do a good job of removing the paint flake. Pieces of it continued to come out for months afterwards.
Huon

seeminglyshy

#13 Post by seeminglyshy »

Huon wrote:Sorry to be negative about nitrous oxide but I had a most unpleasant experience with it, some years ago.
I had rammed a huge flake of paint under my thumbnail and the hospital decided to remove it under nitrous oxide. I felt every move they made but was unable to make any sign that iIwas in agony all the time they were working on me. They didn't even do a good job of removing the paint flake. Pieces of it continued to come out for months afterwards.
Huon
Oh my gosh! :shock:

I'm so sorry you went through that Huon. :cry:

Thank you for sharing your story with me, I'm going to contact the office and ask if they will tell me about any of the adverse effects of nitrous oxide.

gypsydoodlebug

#14 Post by gypsydoodlebug »

I have nitrous for EVERYTHING. Before a filling, during a filling, when I had my wisdoms pulled AND when I had my braces put on. Basically, I have to have nitrous before anyone associated with dentistry comes near me. :oops: That's how fearful I am. My ortho also gave me a script for Xanax before I came in for my braces.

The only adverse effects I have is a slight headache afterward. Make sure your sinuses are cleared, too, or you won't be able to feel the full effects of the gas.

Good luck!!! Hope everything goes well. Please let us know!
Braced January 12, 2006:
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers
24-30 mos.

spragers

#15 Post by spragers »

It makes a difference as to whether they're simply pulled out or if they have to "go in" after them. I had four impacted wisdom teeth cut out with novocaine only. By the time they got to the last one the novocaine was definitely wearing off :? Hearing them saw and drill and drop chunks of tooth in the little tray was, to be honest, extremely disgusting. I spent the next week in bed with pounding headaches even with taking "happy pills" :(

Would I do it again? Sure, but I only say that because I know I'll never have to ;)

Don't want to scare ya' but it always helps to be prepared. (BTW the gas doesn't do anything to me, had it when I had four extractions for my braces and I was perfectly awake and aware of the whole proceedings.)