Situations which led to your decision

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

WiredNana

#31 Post by WiredNana »

Like some here, went in for cosmetic but found-out I had a "World" of dental problems to be addressed........after putting 4 kids in braces and seeing those perfect smiles emerge, I knew it was MY TIME!.....my parents could not afford them back in the 70's (yes.. I,m old)....but I made sure my kids had this very important opportunity....one even went in 'kicking n screaming'....but he has thanked me not too long ago......

I'll be broke,$$$...but I will SMILE!!!!!!

Extraction on #23 Tomarrow!!!
Spacers next Tuesday
upper and lower braces the Tuesday after.....

meep

#32 Post by meep »

jennandtonic- firstly, I like your name! clever:)
secondly, I had the exact same problem. i had gorgeous teeth as a child but some of them never left. I kind of lost track and didn't find out until one of the adult teeth came in the roof of my mouth. My parents said the same thing "all those movies stars with fake teeth- it just looks so fake! you don't want that!" now b/c ive waited so long (I'm 24) my front teeth are all shifting to fill the spaces where the tiny baby teeth are, and I'm so much worse off. That's amazing you've been saving up for long. I just went into complete denial instead. I guess somewhat luckily, I've waited so long that it's now medical necessity, and my parents have faced the fact that they have to help me pay for this.
Thanks for your post. So many people on this site are SO cheery about it- which is great b/c it helps me- but its so nice to feel like people understand.
Thanks again!

missing_tooth

#33 Post by missing_tooth »

Does missing a cainin tooth upfront count? ( it's impacted ) Not sure if that is considered cosmetic or not, insurance sure seems to think so.

Ever since the baby tooth was pulled a couple of years in hopes the adult tooth would come down, well, lets just say life wasn't half the fun.

Christmas photos, I tried to turn my head the left a little for my "good side" but it really didn't hide much. So many times I would want to laugh and smile but well, I did the grimmic thing and it just wasn't me. If I ever did smile a bit, I would always turn to the left a bit. What I found sad was that after a while it was automatic I didn't even have to think about it.

A bit off topic. One older man at work lost the same tooth I did. Every time he came around I could see it plain as day, and all I could think about was, "that is me." Another person who popped into our office from time to time had terrible teeth. She had her two front rabbit teeth ( yeah I know, I've always called them that ) pointing different direction. I mean SEVERLY. I would always think to myself, man why don't do you do something about that. Then another coworked who had the most amazing teeth talked to me about his teeth and how he had braces from a car accident. ( Lost teeth, crooked, needed implants ) He told me that he notices I turn to the side. :shock: That was it, he refered me to his ortho and the rest is history.

- Missing Tooth -

ingyandbert

#34 Post by ingyandbert »

Wow, I really feel bad for all you guys who were so affected by the imperfections in your smile. I’m sure it was not as noticeable to others as it was to you. I think most people tend to look not so much at just the mouth when someone smiles, but at the face as a whole -- including the twinkle in someone’s eyes. The good news is you’re all here because you chose to do something about what was bothering you so much. I have a lot of admiration for that.

In my case, my teeth were not all that crooked. Just one on the top and a couple on the bottom that didn’t show anyway. But I have always had an overbite and my general dentist explained that at my age (45) years of a misaligned bite has been slowly causing uneven wear on my teeth and it was going to become more and more of a problem if we didn’t address it now.

So I get the best of both worlds -- my bite will be corrected plus my teeth will all be straight. The ortho says my smile will actually appear bigger because my arch will be expanded. When the braces come off, I’m going to have my teeth professionally whitened and replace my metal fillings with ceramic. I figure if I’m going through braces for 2 years, I may as well go whole hog. In the end, I’ll be able to flash a big, bright perfect smile! :D

jcdamon3

#35 Post by jcdamon3 »

I read all these posts with such sadness. It is so very tough when someone's comments sting so bad.

I remember when I was about 12 I was at a store and these boys walked by me and made a rude comment about my weight. That was the start of my first diet and resulting in years of practically starving myself. When I was in my early twenties I went to a dietician who changed my life. I learned to eat again.

My mother always commented about other girl's pretty hair, faces or bodies and never gave me any compliments. She thought that I would get arrogant if she complimented me. I think the result was bad self esteem. When she noticed another young girl and commented about this or that I assumed she thought I didn't have that quality.

My teeth were not that bad so I am going through two years of this in hopes of fixing my bruxism problem. I suffered for a long time with it. It may or may not help so I am gambling. I figure if it doesn't work I will at least have straight teeth in the end.

Yeatsmom

#36 Post by Yeatsmom »

I've posted this elsewhere, but it might give someone else a jolt to do or not do the braces thing...

I never had really great teeth, but they were not bad, either. Throughout my youth and well into adulthood, they were in what one might call the 'normal' range. No one ever mentioned my teeth one way or another, and I was not afraid to speak or smile. I did always wonder why I had so much trouble biting apples, though. Seems everyone else did it with ease; for me, it was a real pain.

Anyway, last summer my fiance (well, he was just a boyfriend then) wanted a photo to show his grown daughters before they met me. GAK! I HATED what had happened to my teeth. Incisors trying to hide, front teeth getting crooked, lower fronts with a gap at the side. Holy cow! I was not proud of that photo. But still, they were apparently not bad enough for commentary, at least not from non-hygienists, etc.

Still, I intended to marry this man if he asked, and I darn well didn't want ugly teeth for a wedding photo. Plus, I just didn't want ugly teeth, period.

Then I met his daughters, all of whom have great teeth; they all had orthodontia in their teens. My guy didn't; as a British national, still, he blames it all on British National Health and, of course, they 1960s when we all were not so targeted on dental health and gorgeous smiles.

Anyway, off I went to get three opinions and ended up, without knowing ahead of time, at the ortho two of his daughters had gone to. The best friend of the youngest daughter is, in fact, the assistant there who works on my teeth.

The odd thing about it all is this. Well, several odd things.

After I got the braces on, an old friend who is a minister told me she was glad I had done it, that she had been worried about my teeth.

A few others asked why I had done it, as my teeth were not "that bad."
Hmm....how bad is bad?
And by whose standards?

And, I got married three weeks ago, braces and all. My husband, who was my fiance only from Thanksgiving until early January, has been great about it at all times. He told me weeks ago that he doesn't even see the braces anymore. I would marry the man just for that, except that there's so much more.

I highly recommend taking charge of one's smile and dental health. There's no such thing as a free lunch, and the price of a great smile is a little discomfort and a little embarrassment...plus money, of course. I do admit, though, that the thought of 21 more months of feeling like I'm talking through barbed wire and eating with a mouth full of straight pins is not appealing.....oh, well.

Hope that helps someone.

Best,

Laura

jennandtonic

#37 Post by jennandtonic »

meep wrote:jennandtonic- firstly, I like your name! clever:)
Thank you! :D
meep wrote:secondly, I had the exact same problem. i had gorgeous teeth as a child but some of them never left. I kind of lost track and didn't find out until one of the adult teeth came in the roof of my mouth. My parents said the same thing "all those movies stars with fake teeth- it just looks so fake! you don't want that!" now b/c ive waited so long (I'm 24) my front teeth are all shifting to fill the spaces where the tiny baby teeth are, and I'm so much worse off. That's amazing you've been saving up for long. I just went into complete denial instead. I guess somewhat luckily, I've waited so long that it's now medical necessity, and my parents have faced the fact that they have to help me pay for this.
Thanks for your post. So many people on this site are SO cheery about it- which is great b/c it helps me- but its so nice to feel like people understand.
It's good to know someone else's parents said that! My father still says it, and when I told him how much it was costing me (insurance, sadly, is not going to cover any of it) he repeated that it shouldn't cost so much 'for dentures.' I said my happiness with my smile was worth every penny!

It's easy to be cheery about it when you think of the end result and not along the lines of 'oh my god, I look like a metal-mouth!'

texasangel

#38 Post by texasangel »

Well, I've always wanted braces. Most of my friends in high school (in the late 70's) had braces, but I guess my parents could afford it. I don't really know.

I've always hated my teeth. I had narrow arches and the two front top teeth stuck out a little bit and I hated it. My sister use to make fun of me and say I looked like Bugs Bunny and then she would make a sound sticking her two front teeth out like a rabbit. (Like SHE had straight teeth - NOT!!). That really effects your image of yourself when you're a teenager, but I don't hold it against her now, that's just how older sisters are. :twisted:

Through the years I had a few molars pulled, due to no dental insurance in the 80's and couldn't afford to get them fixed in time before they were too long gone and had to be pulled. So I have 2 molars on the bottom right that need an implant and 1 first molar on the left that needs an implant. I will get those done when I get my braces off. Insurance won't pay for those either.
Anyway - with the missing molars, my back molars started to tilt forward and would eventually effect my bite as time goes on.
My decision came during a cleaning in 2004, the dental hygenist said "have you ever thought of getting braces?" and I said "Oh, yes, but just never have done it" and she said she would tell my dentist when he came in for the exam to talk to me about braces (my dentist does braces also) I have been going to him for a long time and I trust his work.
So I went ahead and scheduled to get braces on 1/10/05. The rest is history and hopefully I will get them off within the next month or so.

I am getting very excited because my arches have widened and are more rounded. I will try and post pictures when I learn how to do it and get a better camera.
Braced on 1/10/05 - full metal- woo hoo!!
Braces coming OFF 5/31/06 !!!

Kell

#39 Post by Kell »

I'm not sure how to characterize why I'm doing this. It's kind of cosmetic I guess but not because I was ashamed of my smile. My top teeth are slightly turned but when I smiled no one could tell. I never had a problem with the way my smile looked to others. I smile and laugh all the time. My heart aches for those of you who were so sensitive about smiling and how your teeth looked. I am so happy that you are finally working on getting the smiles you've always wanted.

My story is that my lower teeth are crooked though and always have been. It's always bothered me and they were almost impossible to floss. As I've gotten older my lower teeth have gotten worse and worse and my gums were starting to suffer. The roots are all jammed together in the front as well. I wanted to finally get them straightened to make it easier to clean in order to keep them for a long, long time.

I asked the orthodontist if straightening them was purely cosmetic or if there was a medical reason to have it done. It's just so much money to spend on myself I wanted his opinion. He assured me that the way things were headed I could really run into problems if I let them go and get even worse. This will definitely help my teeth and gums to stay healthy for a much longer time. That was good enough for me.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

dena

#40 Post by dena »

This is such a sad, but comforting topic...
My teeth are ruining my life, and I cannot just get over it as hard as I try.
Meep--I completely agree with this. I am in a PhD program right now--it involves a great deal of grueling work and psychological browbeating, but I'm here because I want this degree. If it puts this into perspective though, I decided that even after all the work to get here, and all the hell that this has been, and how much I wanted it...if I had to pick between my career and braces, I'd rather have the braces.

That was November. In January, I had braces.

I had always intended to get them, but I never really knew that it would happen...I hoped so much, but I knew they cost a lot and that I'd be paying for it all myself. But I finally decided that the way I look at myself needs to change. Someone said earlier that looks shouldn't count this much, but they do. IT'S TRUE. As a woman, I really feel that attractive women tend to land the best jobs, get raises, etc. I work my ass off, and I'm not going to get passed over because of my teeth. Also, I have gotten to the point where I can't even talk to guys. I never ever go on dates. If someone talks to me, I get out of the conversation because I immediately start to shred myself--I just can't believe anyone would accept me for me with these teeth.

I know that these changes have to come from within, but the braces make a difference. My life has fundamentally changed after 5 weeks of having them on. I'm not kidding. I'm not ashamed of laughing. When I show my teeth, I immediately think of how amazing my smile will be, not of how ugly I think I am. Having braces has changed my life.

I can't say there was any one situation that led to this, but people have always made comments about my teeth. My mom didn't have money for food when I was growing up, let alone braces. I had a classmate in college tell me that his parents cared about him and so they were willing to sacrifice for braces--unlike mine apparently. A professor of mine from college, whom I love and deeply respect, made a huge deal in class one day about how straight teeth have the most impact on a child's psychological well-being and not getting braces for your kids is awful. Everyone in my class had beautiful, straight teeth but me. There were less than 15 of us--I couldn't help but feel pointed out. Even dentists--every dentist I've ever been to (until now) has been openly hostile to me because of my teeth. They all start into this 'why didn't you get braces? do you realize your teeth are crooked and unhealthy? you really need to make this a priority now, regardless of your financial/life situation.'

This was all too much.

Someone said earlier that we crooked-teethers are self-conscious and that others don't notice us as much as we think...but we think we're noticed because people make sure to find ways to point these things out. It's unfair when the only attribute people see in you is your flawed smile.

Sorry this became insanely long. I empathize with everyone here who's experiences I've not dealt with, and sympathize with the rest of you. My reason for being here is purely cosmetic, but it's the best decision I've ever made in my life.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

mm92280

#41 Post by mm92280 »

Its been a long process for me. I'm 25 now, and I knew from an early age that I had crowding problems and that I needed braces, but I was afraid of the ridicule and shame I would feel going through junior high or high school with braces, and my mom told me my teeth weren't that bad, so I just let it be.

However, as time has passed, I have realized more and more just how sensitive I am about my teeth, to the point where, just like you, I tried to hide my smile and bottled up my laughter. Its been painful, to say the least. In a sense, I feel like I haven't really lived life the way I should be, and that I've missed out on some of my best years (college). I now regret not having seriously pushed my parents to let me get braces during my high school years, though I have no clue as to how they would have ever paid for it.

I've gone out on a limb and will be using some of my student loan money to pay for it. Quite simply, I want to see a nice set of teeth in my mirror that desperately. I will have braces soon, and its been a long time in the making. I'm probably just being silly, as I've been told my teeth aren't that bad, but it will be pretty emotional for me, as I gather it was pretty emotional for some of you as well. I hope that I will never have to hold back another smile, or restrain another laugh. If not, then it will be the first time in probably a decade that I have not done so. I'm looking forward to that change.

wiredagain

#42 Post by wiredagain »

mine was quite unusually probably...and a bit vain.

I had terrible teeth as a kid, had braces (for free on NHS) at 14-15. They were so perfect when I came off. Then a few years later one tooth (yes just one) had started to slip back, and in photos it looked as if it wasn't there at all.

So I decided to go again! I know its very vain for the sake of one tooth and very expensive, but I went through so much to get good teeth the first time round, it just seemed a shame for them not to be perfect. And the fact the tooth looked black or not there because of the position was upsetting me

spragers

#43 Post by spragers »

I had had a "fang" tooth since high school, that alone wasn't enough to get me to convince myself to go through with braces - what finally did it for me was realizing that I was no longer able to close my mouth without my teeth meeting in odd crossbites and causing much pain and discomfort.

Silverware

#44 Post by Silverware »

I've had awful teeth since I was young, and my single mother could never afford to put me in braces. I was constantly teased by other kids in school, my brother, and even my mother's ex-husband (he was a real jackass, and they divorced years ago). I went through grade school, high school, and most of university without really thinking I could do anything about it. I always figured it was out of my price range and I needed to wait until I graduated and got some sort of dental coverage.

Well, I'm in my fourth year of university and one of my roommates has had braces for the past 2 years. I asked him about them, the cost, time-frames, etc. I originally planned on becoming a high school teacher, and now I have decided to go into journalism. Both careers benefit from a nice smile, and I certainly never had one! I decided to go ahead and call for a consultation, I could at least find out what everything was going to cost and how long it was going to take. I figured, I've got student debt now, what's a bit more put toward something equally important? My ortho's office was able to set me up with a very affordable payment plan over the next 2 years (without interest!). Now, I'm 2 weeks into my 2 year journey and I have no regrets. There have been plenty of surprises that I wish weren't necessary (palatt expander + speech impediment) but I know it will be all worth it in the end.

SueFromNJ

Relate to many posts here!

#45 Post by SueFromNJ »

Dena, I could have written most of your post!! Well, except for the PHD part!! :D I agree a million percent with what you wrote.

Appearances DO matter. I would go to say, they are first and foremost, especially on the job. I know I been overlooked repeatedly at my jobs in the past, while I watch all the "straight-teeth" attractive people advance around me. I watched bosses go out of their way to help along the attractive, while no one paid a bit of attention to my work, or to me for that fact. :( Even in high school, I watched guidance conselors encourage all my classmates (all with great smiles, of course) to aim high and go to great colleges. But to me, I was encouraged to apply to only easy-to-get-into state schools, never even suggested to try for anything more. I was in honor classes, too!! I see this treatment everywhere in my life - when you are defined by your poor smile, people don't treat you as well. Plain and simple. Especially when everyone else already did the braces thing 20 years ago - of course crooked teeth will stand out in a bad way. :(

And I have had some well-meaning people suggest that I was treated badly because I have low self-esteem and brought it upon myself, but there is much more to it than that - there is something in human nature that responds positively to an attractive smile and an attractive appearance.

I completely understand the poster/posters who are upset at their parents. I still am angry they left me in this state, when my parents could have easily paid for braces if they wanted. They just didn't want to bother. It was my problem and it was NOT their responsibility. And then they were surprised that no boys ever asked me out, and kids teased me mercilessly. :(

I truly believe I would never get a "real" career job unless I had straight teeth. And no good job means no health insurance here in America! I feel I had no choice to get braces. I had gotten nowhere in life with my mess of crooked teeth. I really had nothing to lose!

OK OK - got to stop venting here! So now finally with my extractions and three plus years of braces, my smile is looking great! So soon I can finally eliminate my second-class status and maybe be seen as "normal" for the 1st time in my life. :) :)
Debanded in May, 2006! Total sentence: Three years and two months. Now in hawleys which make me gag! Before braces, I had dracula fangs in their own rows, and everything else was crooked, crowded, with a cross-bite, too!