The never ending treatment? Anyone else going through this?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wiredagain

The never ending treatment? Anyone else going through this?

#1 Post by wiredagain »

Anyone else feel like their treatment is never going to end??!!??

I had braces before as a kid and then had a tiny tiny bit of crowding on my top teeth after a few years which I decided to have repaired (expensive but it bothered me)

So I went to the ortho that did my braces first time round in July 05 and asked if they'd be off in time for me to go back to university in October 05, he said YES.

So October rolls around, they're still there. Will they be off by November 05 in time for my 21st birthday? He says YES

Still there.....then he says end of '05, early '06

And here we are in February with still no end in sight! He had PROMISED they'll be off in time for graduation in July '06 (they better be!)

My teeth look perfect to me, and every time I have a check-up he says 'yeah they look great' SO WHY THE %^%^^ ARE THEY STILL ON THEN???

Evelyn

#2 Post by Evelyn »

The never ending treatment...what a familiar topic.

I got mine september 9 2002. They were supposed to be off September of 2004. It is now February 2006, and they are still on. Frustrated? definately, but will it be worth it? Heck yes.

Hang in there, you're absolutely not alone!
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

SueFromNJ

Forever in braces, it seems!

#3 Post by SueFromNJ »

I was initially given a two to two-and-a-half year sentence in braces, but I knew it would never be two years, I knew it would be LONG, and I was right. Next month will be three years with no end in sight. Ortho has never even mentioned a debanding date, which makes me think I am still many appointments away. For the very first time, I just started elastics (only on my right side) and I feel they are too weak to do anything! It just makes me look strange! :(
Debanded in May, 2006! Total sentence: Three years and two months. Now in hawleys which make me gag! Before braces, I had dracula fangs in their own rows, and everything else was crooked, crowded, with a cross-bite, too!

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

Oh my, you people are scaring me!! My ortho said 2 years but I can tell he is taking his time with my teeth...Granted I just started but at my first adjustment, I KNEW he would be taking his time based on some anwers he gave me. I think I'll need to clarify on my next adjustment the importance of having it done in 2 years lol. I can't even imagine having them for that long.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

missing_tooth

#5 Post by missing_tooth »

I am just not understanding these posts. Is your braces treatment something you want rushed? I wouldn't. Of course my ortho told me 2 years, but he said, to be more realistic plan on 3 years.

Maybe it's just me but so I'm finding braces are not that bad. Inconvient yes, but not unlivable.

- Missing Tooth -

Cissa

#6 Post by Cissa »

The only thing you can really do is express your concerns and think about how they will look when you're all done!

After 4 years in braces, that's about all I can do hehe.

kirst1583

#7 Post by kirst1583 »

missing_tooth wrote:I am just not understanding these posts. Is your braces treatment something you want rushed? I wouldn't. Of course my ortho told me 2 years, but he said, to be more realistic plan on 3 years.

Maybe it's just me but so I'm finding braces are not that bad. Inconvient yes, but not unlivable.

- Missing Tooth -
I don't think the previous posters are implying they want their treatment rushed. But speaking for myself - the first 2 years flew by (which was what my initial treatment time was supposed to be)...

Now that i'm at 2 years and 7 months i'm so over it and can't wait to be done. Of course, it doesn't really matter how long it takes as long as the end result is good. I think there just comes a time when you want to be free of the braces hassles and see your beautiful smile!

TheUnk311

#8 Post by TheUnk311 »

pfft I think when I'm happy with the way they look then I'm not asking them to take them off, I'm telling! ><

ingyandbert

#9 Post by ingyandbert »

Why don’t you just ask your ortho to explain in detail what he’s waiting for? Obviously something needs to happen that hasn’t occurred yet.

smilezofmetal2

#10 Post by smilezofmetal2 »

Where can I sign my name? it seems like when you know its supposed to come off and it doesnt it feels like an eternity

Evelyn

#11 Post by Evelyn »

missing_tooth wrote:I am just not understanding these posts. Is your braces treatment something you want rushed? I wouldn't. Of course my ortho told me 2 years, but he said, to be more realistic plan on 3 years.

- Missing Tooth -
I fully agree with you Missing Tooth, I'm willingly adding about 4 extra months to my treatment plan because I want it to be done right, and I've had them 42 months so you can believe I'm sick of them. Could I have had them off by now? Probably, I mean I could have demanded them off anytime, but as you said, I'm not quite understanding why everyone seems just so rushed. As you said, braces are inconvenient, and there are undeniably many negatives to having them, but unliveable? Definately not....and it's not this post that I'm directly referring to either, it seems to be a fairly common topic.

You just get used to having them over this long a period of time, and yes it's inconvenient, but no it's not awful, I mean the braces are completely a part of me now just like brace-less teeth are to 'regular people'-the real shock for me will come when I get them off.

I too, am puzzled by so many posts about speeding up treatment time and how you can avoid the dreaded two years :roll: and 'oh no it looks like I'm going towards the end of my estimate and not the beginning' kinds of posts, I can understand how it's frustrating, heck I'm 18 months over my original estimate time, and I'm still alive, but I think there just comes a point where ya gotta assess hey do you want this done right or not, 'cause whether you like it or not, to get it done right you gotta put in the time

sorry this turned into a kind of rant, :wink: Eve
Braced September 9, 2002

Evelyn

#12 Post by Evelyn »

Sorry double post :lol:
Braced September 9, 2002

hannah164

#13 Post by hannah164 »

That really stinks about your never ending treatment Wiredagain! :cry:

I know I'll be in braces for a lot longer than most of my friends and most people. But I don't think my ortho is ever going to tell me that I'm getting my braces off soon! I just don't think he'd set me up like that! :wink: Especially since it is a LONG time oiff! My original treatment estimate was 4 years but I'm looking at almost 2 years with progress really just starting now! :shock: It kinda sux! :cry:

I definitely would keep my treatment going just a little longer for that absolutely perfect smile. I mean if you've made it that far a little longer can't kill you. :wink:

I'm kind of jealous of how some people's orthos will speed up their treatment. I don't think mine would ever do that. He's already wasted a good year doing pretty much nothing! :x

Sorry! THis post kind of turned into a rant!

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Last Adjustment was 2/1/06 where they bonded a bracket to my cuspid, which was impacted!!!! OUCH!

Flora2006

#14 Post by Flora2006 »

- Missing Tooth -

I don't necessarily want my ortho to rush things, but I refuse to have them on for more than 2 years. I hate my braces and am not comfortable in them so there is just no way I will keep them on for longer than 2 years and 1-3 months.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

wiredagain

#15 Post by wiredagain »

Lucyloop wrote:I for one wouldn't care if my braces had to be on for 10 years! LOL! :shock: It's just that I'd like to be told that it might take that long, instead of being given unrealistic expectations beforehand.

At the end of the day, it's going to take as long as it takes... I don't want it rushed... but PLEASE tell us beforehand that it might take quite a bit longer than expected, not after we start! :roll:

LUCY xxx
Nicely put Lucy! where are you from in Essex? I'm also an essex girl :-)