Do you pay more with prolonged treatment?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ebjones1

Do you pay more with prolonged treatment?

#1 Post by ebjones1 »

I just thought of something - If your orthodontist decides to prolong your treatment, do you have to pay more? For instance, if they tell you in the beginning that your treatment will take 2 years and cost $5000.. and then you find out that you'll be in braces another year. Would you continue to pay for the extra service, or just stick with the original cost quoted in the beginning?

I hope this isn't confusing to anyone - I tend to rant when I don't understand something :wink:

kirst1583

#2 Post by kirst1583 »

Hi there. Nah, your post was perfectly clear :wink:
I just paid the total amount and that covers me for however long it takes with the braces, plus retainer and follow up appointments.

Evelyn

#3 Post by Evelyn »

Yeah I just paid the amount that they told me at the beginning and they haven't asked for any more money even though my treatment's been prolonged. I guess my ortho charges for the job and not the time.
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

missing_tooth

#4 Post by missing_tooth »

I paid my ortho for the job. The time it takes in not relevent. We have a contract and we both have copies.

- Missing Tooth -

dena

#5 Post by dena »

I also have a contracted amount--same price no matter how fast or slow it goes.

However, some orthos do charge more for prolonged treatment. I was looking at another ortho (sounds like a car, no?) who told me he'd try no extractions with damon 3s, but if I had to get the extractions it would prolong my treatment and increase my price by almost $1000...I didn't end up going with him for that reason.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Flora2006

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

kirst1583 wrote: I just paid the total amount and that covers me for however long it takes with the braces, plus retainer and follow up appointments.
Same here

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Eleni

#7 Post by Eleni »

Like KK said, it depends on your contract. Most (not all) orthos quote a price that includes an estimated treatment time, x-rays, molds, visits, etc. That price is fixed no matter how long the treatment time ends up actually taking. Other orthos set up a payment plan dependent upon the estimated time. Anything over that time is out of your pocket.

Bottom line, do not sign anything until you read the fine print of your contract and you ask all the questions you need to.
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

fyrelight

#8 Post by fyrelight »

I did have to pay more. I paid an amt for 2 years, and any over that time, I had to pay a monthly fee. My regular payments were like $130 a month for 2 years (insurance paid the rest, and that included retainer fees, etc), but I paid $75 for each month over....
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

chrisd

#9 Post by chrisd »

my agreemenat covers the whole treatment including retainers. i put a down payment, and then 16 payments of $162. that is the total even if treatment takes longer tahn the predicted 16-20 months.

there is some fine print in the contract that states if treatment is prolonged secondary to patient non-compliance then additional fees may be required.
chris
http://community.webshots.com/user/cruelcanbekind
3m clarity on top changed to supertorque metal
3m victory metals bottom
estimated treatment time 16-20 months