What toothpaste are u using?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

calley03

#16 Post by calley03 »

I use Colgate Total most of the day, then my prescription toothpaste before bed. My dentist highly recommends Colgate Total.
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

Flora2006

#17 Post by Flora2006 »

i love using Crest but i just went and bought Colgate Anti tartar and anti cavity...

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

kirst1583

#18 Post by kirst1583 »

KK wrote:Krist take care with what brand and ingredients you're using coz toothpaste shouldn't be hurting your mouth like that. The listerine teeth defence really bites my tongue ... but as instructed by my ortho I rinse with it every night ... I did used to include mornings, but more often than not I give them a miss and just use the salt water instead!
Yeah never really looked at ingredients, but most toothpastes burn my mouth other than if I use a gel one and they feel like they don't do a thing! Maybe my mouth is just super sensitive or something.

I might try the listerine one or the colgate with baking soda and peroxide next (wot the heck - i'll buy one of each!) ..

Thanks for your help!

Kirst :wink:

Dodger(UK)

#19 Post by Dodger(UK) »

I used Sensodyne sensitive during braces, and after I mainly use Colgate Total/Cavity protection in those easy dispense tubes, where you push back the red button and out comes the toothpaste. :)

stargirl

#20 Post by stargirl »

Arm & Hammer Extra Whitening is my favourite - I love the baking soda, it feels so... clean!

Granola

#21 Post by Granola »

My braces are not on yet (so hopefully my post still counts) but I regularly use Burt's Bees Cinnamint toothpaste. My drinking water is already fluoridated so I am fine with using a toothpaste that does not contain fluoride. I do use ACT rinse on a regular basis though.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

Anticipator

#22 Post by Anticipator »

Aquafresh Multiaction Whitening for normal brushing and just got prescription 1.1 Sodium Fluoride Colgate Prevident toothpaste after my regular dentist cleaning on Friday to get extra cavity prevention.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

jrbecca

#23 Post by jrbecca »

I use a prescription, flouride-rich toothpaste, Control Rx.

Please join me on my orthodontic journey at: http://jrbecca.blogspot.com/

OneTime

#24 Post by OneTime »

At this point I am using BreathRx, then probably going back to Sensodyne or using either every other day.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

mm92280

#25 Post by mm92280 »

Sorry to bump this, but I have a toothpaste related question and I thought it might fit well here. Has any talked to their ortho about using whitening toothpaste while wearing braces? I've read that even non-braced individuals should only use whitening toothpaste once or twice a week, while using a regular toothpaste the rest of the time. Has anyone heard anything along these lines?

kirst1583

#26 Post by kirst1583 »

KK wrote:Krist I asked my ortho about it after reading that Clo (another member of this community) was using it. I'd stopped using it when I got braces because of what I'd read on here, but when Clo wrote that he was using it I started to think about using it again. It had never whitened my teeth but it did give my whole mouth the most amazing fresh taste and clean feeling!

Dr Con said that in toothpastes like that there is minute amounts of whitening ingredients and that most of it is advertising ... very false I believe. He also said that to whiten teeth the ingredient that does it needs to be in contact with the surface of the teeth for a certain period of time, which doesn't happen when you're brushing! Basically he said if I wanted to use it ... to use it! All he recommended was using a toothpaste that had flouride in it ... which that one does!
mm92280 - Does that pretty much cover what you were asking?
I thought my ortho said not to use whitening toothpaste because then your tooth colour would end up uneven. After reading what KK wrote though I think I was mistaken, as it was a long time ago I asked about it.