Weight loss with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Joanna20

#31 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey! Yes I have lost weight when I braces the first time and gained weight when I removed the braces. My face also looked more skinny at the time. But loads of ice cream and stuff!
I hope I get to lose weight as well because I wouldn't mind! I don't want to lose a lot of weight though.
Good luck,
Joe

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

kirst1583

#32 Post by kirst1583 »

Silverware wrote:For those of you who don't want to (or even do) lose weight, I recommend you check out www.fitday.com. It's free to use the web-based version, and you can input your diet each day (as well as activities) and it will keep track of everything for you.
That site looked great but unfortunately none of it could be changed to metric so it was totally confusing for me. :?

Silverware

#33 Post by Silverware »

I'm in Canada, so I know what you mean. If you ever need conversions, you can simply go to google.com and type "oz to g" or whatever you need and you will get the conversion rate. It's a pain in the butt, but it works.

kirst1583

#34 Post by kirst1583 »

Yep. I use the online conversion calculators all the time.
Feet to metres, kilograms to pounds etc. It really is a pain!
Hmm... going off track just slightly. I loved the biggest loser but hated the fact it was all in pounds. I can't wait for Monday when the Aussie version commences. :D

EdgeofFreedom

#35 Post by EdgeofFreedom »

I suppose the only people who loose weight when they get the braces put on are the ones who don't need to loose weight. The irony of life I tell you!
Smiling is in!
---------------
Tine

JN_Woods

#36 Post by JN_Woods »

I too have lost weight with braces, without trying. My family is concerned about it but it's only like 5-10 pounds. I had to go buy all new clothes because none of my pants fit me anymore, so I would say I'm not too happy about losing the weight.

Upper Braces & Both Expanders 9/14/05
Lower Braces 1/5/06
Estimated Treatment Time: 24-27 months

Brandyleigh35

#37 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

I have lost weight also without trying. Now I'm personally not sad about it just yet, as I can lose a few and not have a big problem, but it does worry me a bit. I have lost 4 since getting my braces put on last Monday. I will most certainly lose weight when I have the SARPE next month also, so if I continue to lose it could become problematic!

I feel like I have been eating pretty well, I do know that it takes longer though, thus I'm eating slower so probably less. I'm also not snacking near as much which I'm sure is a big part of the weight loss.

I'm worried about my son though, as he will be getting braces fitted tomorrow and he is already a chopstick! He cannot afford to lose 5 or 10 lbs. He is in 8th grade and only weighs 78lbs! He is just a tiny little guy (hormones have not kicked in yet.) I went out and loaded up on soft foods as well as ice cream so he can have protein smoothies etc. I plan to try and keep him eating on a regular basis with high protein foods. At least for the first few days so that he doesn't drop too much!

Brandy

jennandtonic

#38 Post by jennandtonic »

Brandyleigh35 wrote:I have lost weight also without trying. Now I'm personally not sad about it just yet, as I can lose a few and not have a big problem, but it does worry me a bit. I have lost 4 since getting my braces put on last Monday. I will most certainly lose weight when I have the SARPE next month also, so if I continue to lose it could become problematic!

I feel like I have been eating pretty well, I do know that it takes longer though, thus I'm eating slower so probably less. I'm also not snacking near as much which I'm sure is a big part of the weight loss.

I'm worried about my son though, as he will be getting braces fitted tomorrow and he is already a chopstick! He cannot afford to lose 5 or 10 lbs. He is in 8th grade and only weighs 78lbs! He is just a tiny little guy (hormones have not kicked in yet.) I went out and loaded up on soft foods as well as ice cream so he can have protein smoothies etc. I plan to try and keep him eating on a regular basis with high protein foods. At least for the first few days so that he doesn't drop too much!

Brandy
Macaroni and cheese, spaghetti, and lasagna! That's all i had for the first week. And I bet he won't mind all that much if you load him up with ice cream, too. :wink:

mia_cro

#39 Post by mia_cro »

I feel like I lost a kilo,and it's only been 8 days with braces.
No more snacks,especially midnight snacks- that's what's killing me!
I've stopped eating out of house since I brush and use the oral irrigator (not the thing you can carry to work) right after a meal.
I know lot of friends who had the same habit first few months but got sick of it afterwards and returned to normal eating habits...
I cannot believe how many times I sad: No thanks,I brushed my teeth...aaarhgg... I turned down chocolate cake today...

SHELL

#40 Post by SHELL »

Glad to see i'm not alone. I'm 6ft and started out weighing 165 before braces. I'm down to 145 6 months later. It's really hard for me to gain weight but easy to lose. Most people hate me for this but folks don't understand that for us "skinny" folks who don't really want to be "skinny" its the same as being overweight, not matter what we do we just can't gain . 7 months later and i'm still having a hard time chewing on one side so its, still tough. I can't wait to get these things off. Thanks for letting me know i'm not alone.