Just Had My Consultation

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mm92280

Just Had My Consultation

#1 Post by mm92280 »

Okay, I just got back from my consultation with the doctor that I expect to be receiving treatment from. As a college student, I was really wanting to get ceramic braces or some sort of clear bracket that could make my having braces a little less noticeable. However, my orthodontist said while he had experience with ceramic and a clear-type of braces (Inspire maybe?), from his experience, the adults that he has treated with those brackets ended up staining them simply because the saliva causes the clear brackets to change to a yellowish color. This really puzzled me, as I have read on here that the ligs are the only thing that seem to stain, not the brackets themselves, but I trust this orthodontist, as he has been practicing for nearly 30 years.

Likewise, he told me that they put more friction on year teeth than even conventional metal braces and that if I was insistent on getting ceramic that I would likely have to have 2 more teeth removed just to get my teeth moving correctly, as he stated they simply don't move teeth like the Damon braces do. With Damon braces, he didn't think I would have to have any more teeth removed. He estimated my treatment time with conventional braces to be between 28 and 32 months, while my treatment time with the Damon braces would be between 18 and 22 months. So, it seems like I will end up with the Damon braces, though I would like to have something that is a little less profile. He simply thinks I will be happier with them, as my treatment will go quicker and the braces are more comfortable.

Now, I know many of you either have ceramic braces, or a clear bracket along the lines of the Inspire type of brackets, so I was wondering if any of you had ever heard of the brackets themselves ever staining or turning yellow?

ssfw

#2 Post by ssfw »

Hi mm92280,

I had ceramic brackets several years ago and I had no problems with staining. I also had grey ligs so never encountered staining problems with the ligs either.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Stacey_Braces

ceramic brackets

#3 Post by Stacey_Braces »

I have had my braces on since Dec 20 2005. I only have the uppers on right now because I have an overbite.

The ortho told me that as long as I keep things clean, it shouldn't effect my treatment time too much. He said that not cleaning properly effects the treatment time more then the type of bracket that you have.

I have not had any issues with the bracket staining. The ligs stain but if you're careful (drink with a straw, don't eat curry or mustard type food and brush right after you eat) the staining is minimal and barely noticeable.

I was going through the same thoughts when I was first getting the braces a couple of months ago. I went for ceramic uppers and i'm getting metal lowers (when they go on since I don't really show my lower teeth and it is cheaper).

I would highly recommend the ceramics (at least for the uppers). I think that even though it may slightly increase treatment time, it is has helped me maintain my self-esteem. I still feel great (even with the braces).

Let me know if you have any more Q?s.

Stacey
Toronto
age 22
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Ceramic Uppers put on : Dec 20th 2005
Impacted Canine Exposure / Baby teeth extraction / Extraction of 3 wisdom teeth Surgery: Feb 10 2006

ssfw

Re: ceramic brackets

#4 Post by ssfw »

Hi mm92280,
I would highly recommend the ceramics (at least for the uppers). I think that even though it may slightly increase treatment time, it is has helped me maintain my self-esteem. I still feel great (even with the braces).
I agree with what Stacey indicated in her post.

I will be getting my braces in about 2-3 months and am really thinking about getting the clear/ceramic braces even though the metal ones are smaller and was told they work faster. I still have time to make my decision. But, what Stacey indicated about self-esteem is the reason I would choose the clear brackets. I was also thinking about getting metal for the lower teeth. There's no right or wrong, it really depends on the person.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Flora2006

#5 Post by Flora2006 »

I also recommend getting the ceramic braces on top IF you are concerned with how it will look... At the end it is your choice though.

I was really happy about getting ceramics on top because it allowed me a better transition from no braces to braces. Ceramics are less visible so it really gave me a chance to kind of "accept" them better. If I would have gotten the metal ones, I think it would have been more of a shock and I would have a harder time adjusting to them...

I will be getting metal ones on the bottom and I am not looking forward to them. I wish I could get ceramic on the bottoms but my ortho doesn't want to because he says they won't work as well on my teeth.

Also, the brackets don't stain...it's the ligs. As Stacey said, if you are being careful, you will be fine with ceramic braces.

Just keep in mind that at the end, its what you and your ortho think will be better that is going to work best. Make the desicion that will make you happy.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Leslie022

#6 Post by Leslie022 »

Hi! I have Damon 3's. I love them! They really aren't as noticable as regular metal brackets. They are partly clear as well. The big thing is that I have had no pain and only minor discomfort. Self-ligating brackets are the way to go if you can. Light, constant pressure being applied equates to very little discomfort as opposed to traditional brackets.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

LizzyG

#7 Post by LizzyG »

My ortho uses all types of brackets (well, as in Damon, clear, metal), but for me he said that the Damon braces would get the best result without having to have teeth out. No teeth out is the main bonus for me! I've had my Damon 3's since last Friday, and they haven't caused me much pain and aren't very bulky, I'm finding them easy to adjust to.

but they are quite visible even though they are half clear. I am an auditor and I am auditing a company this week, so my appearance is important to me as I conduct a lot of meetings etc, but nobody has seemed to pay any attention to my braces.

Probably best to have another chat to your ortho and express your concerns.

Damon 3's upper and lower - 10 February 2006

snowbunny

#8 Post by snowbunny »

I think whatever braces you have, they are going to be noticed. However, once they've seen them, that's it. People don't pay any attention to them. I've got to the point (already)where I'm not bothered whether people see/think of them. I suppose I've spent years being more bothered about people seeing my crooked teeth. So, why should I be bothered about them seeing them with braces on..far more positive I think!
Upper metals on 10th Feb 2006
Estimated treatment time 9-12 months