A weekend without braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Simba

A weekend without braces?

#1 Post by Simba »

Hi guys,

I have been asked to be a bridemaid in my cousins wedding this may 27th, and of course i am delighted, excited but.. i don't want to have braces for the wedding!
she saids she doesnt care.. but i am a perfectionist and i know one day if/when i get married i want beautiful photos..a perfect day :D everything to be right..

so the point of my post? has anyone or know of anyone who has had their braces taken off for a weekend half way thru their treatment?

My next apptointment is march 8th so i plan on speaking to my ortho then, but just thought i would see what u guys think/know or experienced?

i was thinking that there would be cost involved for the debanding and replying, but it would be worth it

Please let me know if your done this..and seen a glimpse of your teeth during movement?

Ta Simone
Braces on September 20th 05.

cookie

#2 Post by cookie »

Have a look at Vanilla's post a bit further down this page - it seems it's do-able :)
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

Leslie022

#3 Post by Leslie022 »

It seems like a lot of trouble to go through for one weekend. Besides, your cousin said she didn't care about your braces. She wouldn't have asked you, otherwise. She is going to be more focused on her future husband. I am going to be the maid of honor in my best friend's wedding this December. There is no way I am going to have my braces removed and have to pay the additional cost and probably prolong my treatment time. That day isn't about me...it's about her.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Tin Man

#4 Post by Tin Man »

If they took mine off for a weekend I'd never let them put 'em back on.
Mike
3M smartclips top and bottom since 10/13/04
Off November 06!

Samantha08

#5 Post by Samantha08 »

I wouldnt be too worried about it. If the bride doesnt care, then it really doesnt matter. The important thing to her, it seems, is that you are part of the wedding. If she's not going to let your braces in her pictures bother her, you shouldnt worry about it :) I was maid of honor in one of my friend's weddings, and I had my braces on. I actually havent seen the pictures, but she didnt care one way or the other that I had them. If it bothers you alot, practice smiling without your teeth :) But if you really DONT want them on, I think there is a recent post on here about someone asking the same question.
Estimated Time: 15-18 months

BlueeyedManda

#6 Post by BlueeyedManda »

I agree it might be do-able, but would you really want to put yourself through that? If it was your wedding day, I would say go for it but it is her day and she doesn't mind so I would leave them on. I understand you are a perfectionist but I would not want to prolong my treatment just for one weekend. Plus what if you don't want to put them back on, like Tin Man said they would never get his back on, mine either.

swellen

#7 Post by swellen »

Are yours ceramic? My friend had her archwire taken out for her wedding so the ceramics blended into the teeth and you couldn't tell she had braces. (I didn't meet her until after the wedding and I looked at all the photos and had NO IDEA she was wearing braces.) That was her ortho's suggestion too, so apparently it's okay. She went back the next morning (on the way to the honeymoon location) to get the wire put back.

Eleni

#8 Post by Eleni »

Haven't you perfected the closed mouth Mona Lisa smile :wink: , or the slightly parted lips smile :) , yet? Who says you need to have an ear splitting grin for these photos?
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

Eleni

#9 Post by Eleni »

Eleni wrote:Haven't you perfected the closed mouth Mona Lisa smile :wink: , or the slightly parted lips smile :) , yet? Who says you need to have an ear splitting grin for the wedding photos? Other than that, what else would bug you? If the bride has no issue with this (and there are many more important details to her wedding to worry over) then leave it alone and try to help her where she really needs help.
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

Simba

#10 Post by Simba »

thanks sue ellen...thats good idea...and thanks cookie for pointing out that vanilla post was answering my question..i didnt realise!

my ortho is male and maybe i might just get the wire removed for the weekend, i think he may not understand!

take care
Braces on September 20th 05.