Another BAD HABIT!! Do you do it?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lesdents

Another BAD HABIT!! Do you do it?

#1 Post by lesdents »

Here's something I do, and I wonder if anyone else does it:

Sometimes I get really impatient and, if I'm watching TV or something, I'll actually push lightly on my teeth with my fingers in the direction where the teeth need to move! It's probably bad to do - but I just feel like I'm giving it a little added boost, an extra little push, right?

Like, for example, my canine teeth are still too high and need to move toward the back a little. So I actually push on them - not super-hard or anything. It's just that, after a few weeks, I don't feel like the powerchains are pulling anymore, and I hate to think that I've got these things on my teeth without it doing anything.

Does anyone else do this? Do you think it's bad?

dena

#2 Post by dena »

i feel like my teeth need to shift so i have the habit of pushing my tongue against them...it's like a flexing thing and the more i try not to the more i want to.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

kirst1583

#3 Post by kirst1583 »

Yeah I know what you mean. I do that all the time with my extraction gaps. It is just a habit to give them a helping hand!
I don't know if it is bad, but the amount of pressure we are putting on it probably does nothing at all. I tend to think it's more psychological than anything.

belmikry

#4 Post by belmikry »

same here- its such a bad idea I think, it only adds more pressure and tension, sometimes elongating the treatment time I've heard- but it'ss soooo hard to stop! :P
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

Flora2006

#5 Post by Flora2006 »

I do the same although I really really try not too lol

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Carrie1229

#6 Post by Carrie1229 »

HOW FUNNY!!! I do the same thing! I used to push up on my aligners when I had the invisilign too. Habits are so hard to break..LOL!

jcdamon3

#7 Post by jcdamon3 »

I have every nasty bad habit in the book, including this one. Actually I do this and I like to just kind of catch my fingernail on the bracket. It is kind of like biting your nails. I never bit my nails before getting braces though! I am surprised that i have not gotten sick this winter, yet knock on wood. This stupid habit can't be very good during flu season! Also, brushing my teeth in public bathrooms has me a bit germophobic. Ick!

Maybe after my next adjustment things will be much straighter and I will just start leaving everything alone. I know I am a little better now than I was when the braces first went on. When I first got them I was checking my teeth in the mirror like every five minutes. Now I don't do that - only like 1 or 2 times a day. Also when I first got them on I was checking the inside of my cheek for sore and dents and I stopped doing that. So I am hoping things will get better and better.

brat 2

#8 Post by brat 2 »

I also push against my teeth with my tongue, my teeth are being move forward and I feel like I am helping them to move faster. I will also push on my teeth that are loose and shift them, I know thats just a bad habit, but I just can't help myself.

Glad to know that I am not the only one with the bad habit.
upper metal braces applied November 8th, 2005
lower metal braces applied February 23rd, 2006

Lyn

#9 Post by Lyn »

I have been "pushing" on my teeth since I can remember.

Before I had braces I thought if I pushed on them I'd be able to straighten them!! ha haha :jokerlaugh:

No such luck............but YES...........I too have this habit!!!

:pinkbraces:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

Chris

#10 Post by Chris »

brat 2 wrote:I also push against my teeth with my tongue, my teeth are being move forward and I feel like I am helping them to move faster. I will also push on my teeth that are loose and shift them, I know thats just a bad habit, but I just can't help myself.

Glad to know that I am not the only one with the bad habit.
Same here. :roll:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#11 Post by nahky »

Thats just too funny. BAck when i started 11 months ago, i had a gap between my front teeth. I would literally grab the two teeth and push them together. and i would actually see them move together like 1 mm. But then it would revert back to its position slowly.

It was an absoilutely stupid thing for me to do, i woulda just created gaps between the ohter teeth. Well i stopped the habit and my teeth moved anyway and its all super straight now. Because i know it s a slow process which involves every single tooth.

good to know i wasnt the only silly one.
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

Lyn

Lesdents "Bad Habit"

#12 Post by Lyn »

This is so funny....I had to share it with you all and Lesdents since you started the thread.

I was at church yesterday talking to a friend of mine-50 something-not that it matters, but she got braced this fall..........anyway, we were talking about our progress. She showed me a canine that has been causing her troubles for years and says ]"I always PUSH on it with my tongue!!! Like all day to give it a boost to move!"[/ I just about fell over laughing. She looked at me like I was crazy and then told her about the board and how we had a thread about this topic. Then she fell over laughing! :jokerlaugh:

Just thought I'd share that with y'all.............funny how we all have this habit and didn't even know it!

Have a GREAT Day!!! :tingrin:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

Geri

#13 Post by Geri »

Yep - I do this too. Just giving those lower laterals a little helping hand. It's funny that so many people do it - I guess we all thought we were the only ones. Thank goodness for this board so we know we're not alone in our funny habbits.
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

kktomyris

Urging those teeth to move

#14 Post by kktomyris »

I have an overbite and my bad habit is put my tongue in front of my teeth and then SUCK on the front teeth to urge them backwards...just a weird habit I have picked up since I got those top braces. Karen
KKTomyris
braced top January 31, 2006
brace bottom February 28, 2006
overbite
minor crowding bottom

nimo

#15 Post by nimo »

My right lateral is behind my front teeth, and I used to push on it alllllllllllllllllll the time (so hard that it hurt) when I was younger. I don't push on my teeth now, mostly because it just feels weird (like using your hand when it's totally fallen asleep, that's the closest thing I could equate it to).

When I had spacers I would bite down on them, because I liked the bouncy-ness of the spacers. That and my teeth couldn't touch all the way.

Now I move my lips all over my braces. I think it's actually helping (even though I probably look like Mr. Ed when he was talking), since for a while totally closing my mouth was difficult to do. Now it feels more natural. There are three teeth on the bottom that seem to be lining up all right, and every morning I run my tongue across them to see if they've gotten any more even with each other. I also run my tongue all over my molar bands. It's really quite amazing I don't have more sore spots. The one sore spot I did have has come and gone, and it hasn't been two weeks yet!
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008