Anyone had/getting implants ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wearetheborg

Anyone had/getting implants ?

#1 Post by wearetheborg »

Teeth implants that is :-#)
I have crowding AND need implants (in front) :?
Any bad experiences with implants ?
I feel a bit bad - braces I can justify "they're good for overall teeth health". But implants - they're purely cosmetic - to fill in the holes of two missing teeth.

missing_tooth

#2 Post by missing_tooth »

I'm hoping I don't have to. Do you know if you need any bone grafting?

- Missing Tooth -

wearetheborg

#3 Post by wearetheborg »

I'm sorry, I'm pretty much ignorant about implants. I will get them once I get off the braces (so a couple years off I guess).
What is bone grafting and why is it needed in implants ? I was under the impression they put in a metal rod and put an artificial tooth around it ?

missing_tooth

#4 Post by missing_tooth »

In my case, I believe bone grafting would be needed. In short they are going to try to bring down an impacted cainin. It's in such a position it's surprising it didn't come down.

An implant would require an extraction if this tooth is fused to the bone. Bone would be taken from another part of my jaw and grafted in where the tooth is now.

Of course this may not be entirely accurate but it is my understanding.

- Missing Tooth -

wearetheborg

#5 Post by wearetheborg »

BigEyedDave wrote:put me down for 8 or so....
Holyy crap. *8* implants ?? :yikes:
Were u in an accident ?

tandi

#6 Post by tandi »

i need at least 2 for my missing upper lateral incisors that never grew in. and maybe a couple more for molars i had pulled when i was younger. does anyone know how much implants cost?

Indy

implant costs

#7 Post by Indy »

From what I know, implant costs vary on the tooth being replaced, current state of your jaw bone (potential for grafting), and on your location. This is a link from the archwired homepage: http://www.bracesinfo.com/dentalcosts/

Look under oral surgery and it will show estimates based on your location. I'll have to get a top front tooth (central incisor) replaced down the road and I've heard prices from $2000-3500 with the difference due to location.

sleater

#8 Post by sleater »

My Girlfriend had an implant started in November and will hopefully have the tooth in April or May. She is missing one of the teeth right beside the top front tooth...it's genetic. Our dentist performed the procedure...I even got to stand there and watch the implant being done. It was pretty interesting and I only felt a little weak in the knees. She was awake for it and only needed a local. She had a little bit of pain that day and for a couple days afterwards. She was off of solid foods for less than a week and only had a little bit of discomfort for the couple weeks afterwards. We were worried about a month ago because they thought the bone was regecting the implant. Luckly at her last appointment they determined that it was now healing fine. If it has regected she would have had to go with the bone grafting method...which is a relief! As well she got a really good deal and is only paying $2000 CDN. If you have anymore questions just let me know...

Betty Bat

#9 Post by Betty Bat »

I'm getting two implants to replace baby teeth with no permanent teeth behind them. In fact, the reason I have braces now is because my teeth shifted around because of the space left when one of the baby teeth was pulled.

Implants aren't just cosmetic - they really do maintain the proper spacing of your teeth and keep everything in line. You could get a bridge instead of an implant, but I can tell you that in some cases, you really do need to fill in with something. I'm 53 and my teeth started shifting noticeably about 8 to 10 years ago. It may take a while to see the effect of the spaces, but it can show up.

texasangel

#10 Post by texasangel »

I am getting 2 implants on my lower jaw. On one side there are 2 molars missing (side by side) so there is a pretty big space, and on the other side just one molar is missing. They were pulled in the 80's when I didn't have dental insurance and couldn't afford to get a root canal and crown. Kind of ironic now, that I have to spend $4,200 to get these implants done and it would have been MUCH cheaper to get the root canal and crowns 20 years ago. Oh well, that was long ago and now I am fixing it ALL.
I'm not sure if I will have to get bone grafting, I know the side with just one molar missing is okay, but the other side feels like the bone has receded somewhat, but I will find out when I go see the oral surgeon.
Braced on 1/10/05 - full metal- woo hoo!!
Braces coming OFF 5/31/06 !!!

rainbow13

#11 Post by rainbow13 »

I had a implant done back in November and it really was not a bad experience at all! i was expecting so much worse. i did go w/ the iv sedation because i have a needle paranoia but besides that i woke up w/ little pain. i also had a bone expansion done at the same time. this is like a bone graft but from what my surgeon said is often more sucessful and he prefers to do that instead. they basically go into the middle of the bone and push it open wider, your bone then regenrates itself back in that place. i did all this while braced. my ortho, dentist and surgeon all suggested to start the process which i will be finishing in another 2months because i am getting my braces off then (YIPEE!). if you have any questions let me know, i would be happy to answer them. i know i had a million ?'s and concerns...

BTW my implant was done in the front of my mouth, i am missing my left lateral incisor.

Chris

#12 Post by Chris »

[quote="texasangel"]I am getting 2 implants on my lower jaw. On one side there are 2 molars missing (side by side) so there is a pretty big space, quote]

I have the exact same situation! Been eating on one side of my mouth the whole time in braces. Waiting for the braces to get off before the implants are put in.

Question....do they have the arch wire connected between the missing teeth?
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Chris

#13 Post by Chris »

texasangel wrote:I am getting 2 implants on my lower jaw. On one side there are 2 molars missing (side by side) so there is a pretty big space, and on the other side just one molar is missing. .
I have the same situation.

Do you have the archwire connecting between the missing teeth?
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

rsprouse

Re: Anyone had/getting implants ?

#14 Post by rsprouse »

wearetheborg wrote:Teeth implants that is :-#)
I have crowding AND need implants (in front) :?
Any bad experiences with implants ?
I feel a bit bad - braces I can justify "they're good for overall teeth health". But implants - they're purely cosmetic - to fill in the holes of two missing teeth.
Implants are not purely cosmetic, they also serve to restore function to a lost space or prevent supraeruption if there is no opposing tooth. Space is needed to correct crowding, are you sure that there is enough space to correct the crowding and implant(s)?

Implants have been around for decades and for certain cases are an outstanding restorative option. If you have dental insurance, check with your provider. I believe that within the next year or so you will begin to see coverage for implants. It will probably be 2-3K in payments per year with a lifetime cap of not much more, but that should cover the cost of a single unit if needed which is better than nothing.