I'm new... and nervous!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

materialsgirl

I'm new... and nervous!

#1 Post by materialsgirl »

Hi everyone!

I'm new here. My name is Emily... I am 27 years old and looking to get my crowded teeth fixed up. It's about time, eh? ;) I actually have my consultation tomorrow morning. I'm nervous! Not about what the ortho is going to do to me, but about what he's going to say I need. I've got a million questions and worries running through my head - could somebody pleaase find the remote control and put my brain on Pause??? :crazy:

I've been reading some of the recent posts here and frankly, you've all scared the crap out of me. Thanks a LOT! ;)

Anyone have any words of wisdom or encouragement?

sydsmom

#2 Post by sydsmom »

Hi Emily! Welcome to the board :-)

You know, it's funny...I had a bajillion questions before my first appointment too because I had these whole scenarios in my head of what I *thought* my treatment would or could be like. Then, after the appointment, I found that none of my questions even applied because the ortho told me my treatment would be totally different from what I imagined. I worked myself up for nothing :oops:

Then, at the second appointment, when the molds and x-rays were in, it changed yet again. So, don't get yourself all worked up before you even know anything -- it'll drive you crazy, and probably be a waste of energy.

Also, the first appointment (at least for me) was really low-key. He basically just looked at my teeth and profile and my smile, took some measurements, and told me what he recommended. Remember that things change frequently in orthodontia, and you're not committed to anything at the first appointment.

Good luck and keep us posted!!
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06

ssfw

#3 Post by ssfw »

Hi Emily,

Congratulations on taking the first step and making an appt. for an orthodontic evaluation.

If you have questions or concerns, write them down and bring it with you because that's what this appt. is for. I had my list of questions and my orthodontist answered all of my questions/concerns. After a few days, I thought of more questions and called the office and my orthodontist called me back and answered all of my additional questions.

If you think you may forget some of the info. s/he tells you, write some of the info. down. I do suggest you get multiple evaluations so that you can see what different/same treatment plans the other orthos suggest - also to see what their cost is. I went to 4 evaluations.

Be sure not to hesistate to ask questions and see what types of brackets are available and what will work best for you. Getting braces is a big decision and expensive als, so be sure to get all of the info that may help you in making the decision.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

wearetheborg

#4 Post by wearetheborg »

Keep a cool head at the consult - they may propose a treatment which u just were not expecting - be cool and ask lots of questions about there treatment plan, ask if there are alternatives, what will be the cons etc.
Quiz the orthodontist really well.
And remember, the assitants are in general morons.

Betty Bat

#5 Post by Betty Bat »

Here are a few words of encouragement:

It really isn't that bad. I've had my braces for about 4 months now. I've had a few days with a sore mouth and a bad report when I went for my cleaning (I'm a real plaque factory). But, I try to use warm salt water rinses and wax for the sore mouth and they seem to be working. I just bought my Sonicare 7300 from Ebay and I really like it. My teeth seem much cleaner in the few days that I've been using it. I do miss biting into food - I don't have trouble chewing (knock wood), but I have some trouble biting into things, so I cut everything up. So far, the only food I really miss is a big juicy hamburger (sorry, all of you vegetarians). You might not be able to eat some things for a few days, but the board has a lot of recommendations on food to get you through the rough days. And, there are some things that just take longer with braces - like eating, brushing, and flossing. But, that's about as bad as it has gotten for me.

I won't say too much about the cost and how to pay for them. That's clearly an individual issue. So is your relationship with your ortho and your ortho's assistants. Mine are pretty good.

Most people you meet either won't notice your braces or won't say anything about them. Most people are thinking about themselves and/or their own insecurities, so they really don't pay that much attention to yours. I was reading a magazine and they referred to braces and a few other things as "temporary imperfections". That's probably a good way to think about them.

Hope these count as words of encouragement. If there is something specific that "scared the crap" out of you, let us know. Chances are that someone can give you advice or reassurance on it.

Good luck. And, remember that your friends are warm salt water, wax, and a Sonicare toothbrush.

dena

#6 Post by dena »

emily it is really scary. if it helps, i was WAY more terrified before the braces than i am now. i mean, i inspect my teeth constantly and fret and stuff, but before i knew what it would be like, i was so afraid. but that had to do with the fact that i was super sensitive about my teeth to begin with, had no insurance and was still spending thousands on this, was scared, felt alone as an adult, etc. ALL of those issues are addressed here everyday--it's so so so comforting to have many people who are active on this message board who can relate and share advice. it's so therapeutic, i'm sure i wouldn't be as happy as i am now without it! also, i've seen a lot of movement in the first few weeks...what bothered me most about my teeth all these years is already basically completely corrected (visually)...that has been a big confidence-booster.

good luck!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

missing_tooth

#7 Post by missing_tooth »

Relax, the first appointment is a breeze, nothing major. Feel free to ask any questions you might have. Perhaps write them down before you go. Not much will happen. Most likely an x-ray, he will look at your teeth. tell you to open and close a bit, and then give you a treatment length estimate and cost estimate.

Cake walk, really a cake walk.

- Missing Tooth -

materialsgirl

#8 Post by materialsgirl »

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom and encouragement! :)

I am happy to report that my consultation went very well. So well, in fact, that I going to go ahead and get braced. I'm scheduled for 3/1! EEK! :shock:

I had such a good vibe from the ortho and the entire staff, it felt really right. And all of my fears were completely unfounded. I won't need to have any teeth extracted, and won't have to wear any scary appliances (like headgear, expanders, etc). The treatment will only take 21 months, and I can get clear braces on my top teeth. I am so relieved and thrilled and excited!

Thanks again for your kind words, and I look forward to getting to know you all a little better as I begin my journey into metal-mouthiness. ;)

Flora2006

#9 Post by Flora2006 »

That is greeat new materialsgirl. Having a great ortho really makes a difference. Good luck in your journey :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

jcdamon3

#10 Post by jcdamon3 »

Oh wow! I am glad I found this board AFTER I got my braces! lol :lol: Actually that is not true. I lurked on this board and read all the new braces stories before I got my braces on. After a while I joined. I also read through all of Lyn's postings.

I was really nervous too and luckily my ortho had lots of openings and I could pretty much pick the day to get my brackets on. If I had to wait too long I might have chickened out. Really it is the unknown that freaks us out. Honestly if the ortho had told me I had to have extractions I might not have done this. What a baby I am. :wink:

Flora2006

#11 Post by Flora2006 »

jcdamon3 wrote:Really it is the unknown that freaks us out. Honestly if the ortho had told me I had to have extractions I might not have done this. What a baby I am. :wink:
lol same here. If my ortho would have said I needed extractions, I would have run away.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006