Love your metal braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sleater

#16 Post by sleater »

I also love my metals! They match the rest of the stainless steel that I have in my ears and face. I never even considered going with clear. It was a big bonus when I was told it would be faster and cheaper to go with metal. I have black and red ligs which I think look really smart with the metal braces.

jcdamon3

#17 Post by jcdamon3 »

I have damon3's which are half and half. If I really hated these I would go and have them changed and I don't think I will be doing that. I don't even think my ortho would do it if I asked him.

It is not the way I look that is bothering me about braces. It really is the constant nagging feeling of having these things in my mouth. I am getting a little tired of it! Not to sound negative, but I feel them all the time. Not pain, just, I can feel them. When I am not thinking about it, when I am really busy, I don't notice them. But if I am not really intensely doing something they bug me.

I would say go with the absolutely most comfortable things you can find. Think - high heels or flats when you want to go for a long walk! A two year long walk.

Flora2006

#18 Post by Flora2006 »

jcdamon3 wrote: It really is the constant nagging feeling of having these things in my mouth. I am getting a little tired of it! Not to sound negative, but I feel them all the time. Not pain, just, I can feel them. When I am not thinking about it, when I am really busy, I don't notice them. But if I am not really intensely doing something they bug me.

I would say go with the absolutely most comfortable things you can find. Think - high heels or flats when you want to go for a long walk! A two year long walk.
I agree with you. I can feel my braces 24/7 and that is the most annoying thing ever.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

tandi

#19 Post by tandi »

ive only been fully braced for 6 days and i cant say love is what i feel. i think im more annoyed than anything. laughing talking eating. they are constant reminders of my bad teeth gene. :lol:

ukcolin

#20 Post by ukcolin »

I wanted ceramics on both top and bottom but the ortho said i had to have metal on the bottoms because my top teeth would keep hitting the bottom brackets if they were ceramics.

I hit the roof when he told me and nearly stormed out the room!! But i went with it anyway and im so glad i did. I actually dont mind the metals and after 1.5 weeks im totally used to them and dont care who sees me in them.

Aurelia

#21 Post by Aurelia »

hmmmm do I 'love' my metal braces, I really dont think I could ever love them but what I do love is the changes they are making for me. After being in them for 3 weeks today I am forgetting they are there except when the wire pokes me and I cant say something with S or F in it...lol

:D
All good things come to those that wait

sunluvr

#22 Post by sunluvr »

I am a 38 year old real estate broker and have no regrets with getting the full metals either. I was really worried what my clients would think. Honestly, I have not had a single client who has even seemed to care!

I think it's just a matter of your own personal preference what you are comfortable with.

Destor

#23 Post by Destor »

Way Too Old For This wrote:I didn't really care one way or the other until I read about how much trouble the ceramics are with regards to staining. With all the extra work keeping my teeth clean with braces, I don't need extra work trying to keep from staining them.

My orthodontist told me with the extra pulling we are doing on my impacted canine he would prefer the metal.

The gold ones might have been fun though ! bling
lol I've seen those gold braces around on the net, kinda amusing. Just need some diamonds, a few rubies, maybe platinum wires, and you've got a real blinging grille there.

I'm fine with my damon3 metal braces, didn't see the need for ceramics but to each their own.
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom

nvcarissa

#24 Post by nvcarissa »

Just jumping in with my 2 cents. I much prefer my metal brackets to ceramic. Much more comfortable for me. And I look good in silver!

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

lilpikachu

#25 Post by lilpikachu »

I actually forgot to ask my orthodontist if he could put ceramic braces on my teeth! I think I was so excited about getting braces that it slipped my mind. It wasn't until after they were on I considered asking him if he could put on ceramic ones, but it was a bit too late.

Either way I'm happy with my metal braces because they are getting the job done. Although sometimes I wish I could get them off sooner than the 2 years I've been told. I've only been in braces for 2 months :)

ren

#26 Post by ren »

I agree-I love my metal! actually my orth recommended the metal over the ceramice...he said metal work better and they're less expensive. I was amazed that he said this because ceramice are more $$. woohoo! I think the size of the metal brackets are alot smaller than the ceramic ones!!

KJM

#27 Post by KJM »

I have all metal, and I cant say that I love the way they look on me but I love what they are doing for me! :)
I initially wanted ceramic but dh's indifference to metal, the amount of coffee I drink a day and the slight guilt over the extra cost convinced me to go with the metal.
I really like the looks of ceramic on people though. If I were given the choice to replace the metals with ceramic now, I probably would. I am not saying I am unhappy with the metal, but some people look better in metal than others.

I think that its a personal choice- I personally dont think there is a "right and wrong" its what you like ( it IS your $$) and what your ortho recommends.
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

chrisd

#28 Post by chrisd »

i think it is great that anyone is willing to make a commitment to improving their health be it with metal or ceramic. and whichever type a person chooses is a personal decision. some people like ceramic some like metal.

i hate to say this but i have noticed a few posts in a few different topics where people have been just a wisker shy of criticizing people for choosing a particular bracket type.
my only point is that we should respect other peoples decisons, and try not to be or sound too judgemental.
i hope no one takes this the wrong way.
chris
http://community.webshots.com/user/cruelcanbekind
3m clarity on top changed to supertorque metal
3m victory metals bottom
estimated treatment time 16-20 months

Flora2006

#29 Post by Flora2006 »

chrisd wrote:i hate to say this but i have noticed a few posts in a few different topics where people have been just a wisker shy of criticizing people for choosing a particular bracket type.
my only point is that we should respect other peoples decisons, and try not to be or sound too judgemental.
i hope no one takes this the wrong way.
chris
I completely agree with you, and I've said this on the first page as well.

Everyone made the choice for going either metal or ceramic and that is the right choice for them...

Some choose ceramics because they want their braces to be more discreet...some choose metal because they want their whole mouth to match...the point is, both braces work the same way UNLESS your ortho said so...even Dr. J mentioned in a post that the kind of bracket doesn't matter...it's the orthodontist's expertise that matters.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Anticipator

#30 Post by Anticipator »

KK wrote:Quote from Dr J ... Docs Forum ...

the type of bracket is absolutely irrelevant - it's the skill of the doc that makes treatment faster

The rest is personal preference ... maybe of the patient, maybe of the doctor ... or maybe of the two together ... whatever ... it's choice ... and ghee we're lucky to have the freedom to do that! :banana:
I know I asked that, (it may be my post you're quoting :P ) before I committed.

I have got all metal and I've even been told they look good on me.

I love that despite pain and chaning bite I still feel safe to eat whatever I want without fear of staining or damon doors sticking. Simplicity in design was a big selling point for me. Less to go wrong. Those possibilities may be small, but to not have to worry about them is incentive enough.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months