Swollen Gums

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wating4braces

Swollen Gums

#1 Post by wating4braces »

No, not the normal swollen gums post. My gum is only swollen in one small spot between two of my brackets. I have read that sometimes gums get swollen if you aren't brushing your teeth enough, but I brush my teeth all the time. Even if I didn't, that wouldn't explain why my gum is swollen in only one spot. It is really tender and hurts a tiny bit. Can someone tell me why my gum is swollen?

Thanks!

Katie

ren

#2 Post by ren »

hi! if the swelling gets worse & gets more puffy/inflamed...definitely go see your orth...I've had a few infections in my mouth and they've started with a small swelling. Pretty much food gets caught between the bands and gets inflamed...I brush all of the time too. My orth relieved the swelling and gave me antibiotics to get rid of the infection.

good luck, renee :)

mia_cro

#3 Post by mia_cro »

My gums were swelling at the initial stage of gingivitis,but that cannot be hapening on just one spot. So it must be some irritation either from food debris (that went under the gum line of course) or over vigorous brushings...It's possible that you appy more pressure on one side when you wash....

wating4braces

#4 Post by wating4braces »

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm pretty sure it was just a piece of food because the swelling has gone almost all the way down and isn't aching anymore.

Katie