Black mark

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tiara

Black mark

#1 Post by tiara »

I was braced today and just noticed a black mark in the middle of my top archwire. Has this happened to anyone else and do you think it will come off? It kinda looks like a mark made by a felt pen or a chip in the metal.
Metal can't chip, can it??

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

At my first adjustment i got a new archwire and it had a mark right at the front ( i thought it was really noticable but it wasnt). Before my second adjustment (a few days ago) the mark had gone. It took a while but it has.

IndyBraceFace

#3 Post by IndyBraceFace »

It's probably just a mark on your wire to show the ortho or assistant where the middle of the wire is (mine was red). It should come off after brushing. If it doesn't and it's really bothering you, call your ortho's office and they'll scrape it off for you.

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

I had a black mark when I got my braces. It should come off after about 2 weeks...that's how long it took mine to disappear.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Kell

#5 Post by Kell »

I'm so glad you asked this. I had a black mark too. It was coming off very slowly with brushing then today I took the proxy brush and scrubed a little. I didn't have to scrub hard. It's all off now, hooray :) I thought it was just the wire. I had no idea it was just ink.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

weird_wired

#6 Post by weird_wired »

I have that black dot in the middle of my new white wire. I asked the ortho and he said it was to show where the centre of the wire is.

Only for some reason my black dot is not aligned over my midline... never mind ;)

It also doesn't seem to come off with scrubbing.

LoobyLou

#7 Post by LoobyLou »

I also have the same black bit when I get my wires changed and like others on here it scrubs off within a few days. However I have a different type of wire on the bottom arch now which my ortho says is a different material (?) and has little hooks soldered onto it ready for when I get elastics. On this wire the black mark has stayed put so I assume it's something to do with the type of metal! Who knows...

LoobyLou xx
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*