TPA mouth ulcer

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braces-boy

TPA mouth ulcer

#1 Post by braces-boy »

I don't have a brace yet, but the sharp hooks from the TPA rub both sides of my mouth terribly and cause much pain when I move my mouth, I haven't tried wax yet, what is it like?,what else can I do to stop this, and others please share your mouth ulcer stories, thanks.

Also, I did a "Search for all terms" on "ulcer tpa" :wink:

ssfw

#2 Post by ssfw »

Hi braces-boy,

I have an expander and had a sore tongue from one area of the expander rubbing on my expander. Yes, use wax. Initially I didn't because I thought my tongue would get use to it. The wax was such a big help. Use the warm salt water rinses also - it really works. If your tongue is very sore now, also try dipping a Q-tip in hydrogen peroxide and swab it on the sore area of your tongue. It took me about 1-1/2 weeks to adjust to having the expander. Sometimes, now I forget I have the expander.

Good luck.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

braces-boy

#3 Post by braces-boy »

Hello everyone, thanks for the advice, I should be able to get some wax soon, also I hope that when the brace is fitted round the TPA it should even out the protruding sharp bit.

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

Hi braces-boy,

Ask your orthodontists' office if they have samples of the wax available. My ortho's office had two types available. It was good to sample both types - one was the standard ortho wax and the other was made from silicone.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

wearetheborg

#5 Post by wearetheborg »

How do u guys deal with eating ? whenver I eat I end up eating the wax :shock:
I'm doing "wax off wax on" at each meal now, and its annoying (I'm waxing almost the whole set of brackets :twisted: )
Does the skin get used to the irritaion ? Please tell me it does!!!

braces-boy

#6 Post by braces-boy »

I have had the TPA on over a week now and I hardly notice it's there, even when eating. :D

Finally got some wax :roll: too, I need to put on quite a big blob, also it isn't really re-usable since it breaks up when you roll it with your fingers.