Sandblasting at Dentist

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ronni

Sandblasting at Dentist

#1 Post by ronni »

Well, I went for my routine cleaning yesterday at the dentist. I have been noticing that since I have been drinking coffee, coke & tea out of a straw (to reduce the amount of staining on my clear ligs), that I have been getting some staining on the back side of my front teeth and I asked the hygienist if she could get that off somehow.

She pulled out this gadget that spray's baking soda and water & creates a sandblasting affect (her words). It was very messy, I had to wear goggles & a plastic bib, but WOW, it worked so good. She cleaned all of my teeth with it and even my brackets and they look so much better now. They look like they did the first day!

Just thought I would share this info in case anyone wanted to ask their hygienist about it next time your in for a cleaning.

lilsisbet

#2 Post by lilsisbet »

The sandblasting is great. Ever since I have been braced this is how my dentist cleans my teeth (every three months).

I will admit though, that by the time she is finished cleaning my teeth between the taste of baking soda and mint flavour (or whatever it is), then the flouride treatment - the taste becomes pretty nausiating. Espeically on an empty stomach.
Elizabeth
Braces on March 15, 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months. Official debanding date - June 14, 2007 - Total of 27 months!

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

lol that is great!!

I was wondering something...drinking everything with a straw...isn't that kind of like thumb sucking in the sense that it can mess with your bite/overbite/underbite or something because you are creating a similar tension/force? I drink a lot with a straw but I've been wondering about this for a little while now

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

materialsgirl

#4 Post by materialsgirl »

I had my teeth sandblasted once, after a particularly coffee-heavy semester at college. ;) It worked great! Insurance doesn't usually cover it, but it sure does make your teeth look nice. :D

CelestialVoices

#5 Post by CelestialVoices »

Wow, that does sound awesome, if a little like torture. :lol:

Betty Bat

#6 Post by Betty Bat »

I didn't get sandblasting, but I did get the industrial equivalent of a Sonicare - water jet and sonic waves. I did get a little wet, but it was very good.

ingyandbert

#7 Post by ingyandbert »

My regular dentist has been using the sandblasting on me for about 15 years now. It does a great job.

gracie381

Re: Sandblasting at Dentist

#8 Post by gracie381 »

ronni wrote:Well, I went for my routine cleaning yesterday at the dentist. I have been noticing that since I have been drinking coffee, coke & tea out of a straw (to reduce the amount of staining on my clear ligs), that I have been getting some staining on the back side of my front teeth and I asked the hygienist if she could get that off somehow.

She pulled out this gadget that spray's baking soda and water & creates a sandblasting affect (her words). It was very messy, I had to wear goggles & a plastic bib, but WOW, it worked so good. She cleaned all of my teeth with it and even my brackets and they look so much better now. They look like they did the first day!

Just thought I would share this info in case anyone wanted to ask their hygienist about it next time your in for a cleaning.
I just recently went for my first dental visit since being braced. They used the same gadget. It wasn't too bad, but I will say she hit a few sensitive spots and liked to have sent me through the roof. Other than that, I think my teeth look whiter than they ever have after a cleaning!
TEETH IN THE BEGINNING (OCT. '05)
TEETH NOW (Oct. 28, 2007)
Braced (uppers & lowers): 2 Years
Retainer Check: 1-18-08

fins

#9 Post by fins »

I have this done too, they like to use this on patients with braces. I can drink coffee and it takes all the stains off. Love it!

jennielee81

#10 Post by jennielee81 »

ingyandbert wrote:My regular dentist has been using the sandblasting on me for about 15 years now. It does a great job.
Mine's been blasting my family for about 10 years. :lol:

It is a nice clean result, but I hate the salty taste. :P
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

sophielafille

#11 Post by sophielafille »

I got sand blasted today and as a heavy coffee drinker I have to say this was the best thing ever for my teeth. Combined with my new wire ties, my self esteem has risen about 20 points.

-sophie
Braces on November 16, 2005: Ceramic Uppers, Metal Lowers
Frenectomy done on December 5, 2005
4 extractions done on December 10
TPA installed Jan 16, 2006
Elastic Triangles started June 8, 2006
BRACES OFF!!!!!!!!!! July 17, 2007
now wearing two removable retainers. Yeah!!!!

ingyandbert

#12 Post by ingyandbert »

Jennielee, you are looking GOOD girl! :D

Chris

#13 Post by Chris »

Its called an ultrasonic cleaner and yes, it does get rid of stains, which I have lots of because of tea. But it gives me electrical shocks when they do my bottom front teeth. I absolutely hate it but I love the final results. And YES it is messy. I feel like I get a face bath each time. :lol:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

jennielee81

#14 Post by jennielee81 »

ingyandbert wrote:Jennielee, you are looking GOOD girl! :D
Thank you VERY much! :-}
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm