It was all going so well.....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sarahlp

It was all going so well.....

#1 Post by sarahlp »

My fixed brace came off on Wednesday and I was so pleased with the results. I bought some Crest Whitstrips to get that white smilethat I have dreamed of and they work a treat.

Then....

I got my retainer today. I cannot express how much I hate and despise this thing. I keep gagging and have almost been sick on many occasions in a few hours. The only reason I have not been sick is beacuse I cant eat a thing due to worry. I cant talk which is not the main worry when I almost sick every 10 minutes. I know this probably sounds dramatic but I hate this thing with a passion.

I honestly feel like i wish I had not had the treatment done at all. I cant imagine putting up with this for 6 months its is awful.

Feel fed up and depressed :o(

Sarah xxxx

airxjordan24

#2 Post by airxjordan24 »

hang in there! your already so farrrrr into it! dont give up now. surely it cant be any worse than my expander :cry:
1/21/06 - spacers and brackets
1/25/06 - 2 lower biscupids extracted
1/30/06 - lower archwire
2/13/06 - expander on uppers

sarahlp

#3 Post by sarahlp »

im just hoping and praying that I get used to it. I dont mind the speech problem but its that gagging all the time. Will be so embrassing if i keep doing in when Im in work / university :roll:

I hate it :twisted:

What is an expander? I had elastics and i thought they were bad.

Sarah x

airxjordan24

#4 Post by airxjordan24 »

expander
1/21/06 - spacers and brackets
1/25/06 - 2 lower biscupids extracted
1/30/06 - lower archwire
2/13/06 - expander on uppers

Kayla

#5 Post by Kayla »

I'm sure you will adjust to the retainer. Just like when you got the braces at first, I'm sure you hated them then. I have the clear ones and somehow they have only requested I wear mine at night. I have perminate retainers behind my teeth so maybe that's why.

Sorry but hang in there...

sarahlp

#6 Post by sarahlp »

ouch- is that as painful as it looks?

I have clear retainer for the bottom and i think you guys call it a hawleys on the top.

I have to wear it 3 months permanantley and 3 months just at night, and then as and when.

Roll on 3 months..... :lol:

Ill keep you updated!

sarah xx

jcdamon3

#7 Post by jcdamon3 »

I am going to have a long talk with my dentist if he tries to give me a hawley on my uppers. I have a major gag reflex and I have heard alot of people on the board complaining about that. It won't take much to set me off. Please if anyone is on this board who had the gag thing going on and got over it in x number of day/weeks, please post. Sarahlp: you may want to post on the naked tooth forum and ask. I would also call the ortho and see what he says. Maybe there is an adjustment he can make? Don't suffer! Please let us know what happens.

Dark_angel

#8 Post by Dark_angel »

I have quite a bad gag reflex but my hawleys never bothered me. Try wearing them, the more anxious you get the more you will gag. Try breathing through your nose, relaxing and wearing it while you sleep. Your mouth will get used to the retainer and the gaging will stop.

sarahlp

#9 Post by sarahlp »

My ortho has said to contact him on Monday if I am still gagging.

Its so horrible. I had no idea it would be like this. I knew I would struggle with speech but dint expect it to make me almost sick.

Fingers crossed it will go soon, :x

sarah x

Flora2006

#10 Post by Flora2006 »

I really hope things go well at your appointment on Monday. Keep us posted and hang in there!!

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

ssfw

#11 Post by ssfw »

Hi Sarahlp,

Congratulations on getting your braces off!!! I know you are so proud of yourself for going through with the orthodontic treatment. But I'm sorry you're so miserable with the retainer. I had braces several years ago and when I received my retainer, it was difficult talking with it but I adjusted to it within a couple weeks. I was able to remove it while eating. I hope you will adjust to it like I had before.

Believe me, if you went through the ortho treatment, having a retainer will be a breeze.

Keep us posted.

Take care.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Chris

#12 Post by Chris »

I wonder why they can't make those hawleys not go back so far towards the throat?
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

kirst1583

#13 Post by kirst1583 »

Chris wrote:I wonder why they can't make those hawleys not go back so far towards the throat?
Yeah that's what I've been wondering also. Makes sense that you wouldn't need much of the roof of your mouth covered.
But then again, I haven't had years of orthodontic training so what would I know!!!

sarahlp

#14 Post by sarahlp »

Hi Guys-
well, I had a pretty sleepless night! Kept waking up choking, which was not a nice feeling. I feel that I dont mind the actual retiner so much and the speech thing isn't so bad but I think that the top of the retainer goes too far back. I will mention it to my ortho on Monday anyway.

I think I suffer with this more than some others as I have frequent anxiety and panic attacks and the fact that I gag and choke on the retainer doesn't help. I was almost sick this morning and gasping for breath nearly sent me into a panic. My boyfriend looked scared bless him.

Another thing that worries me is one of my front teeth is twisting even when i wear the retainer. I can move it back but when I put the reatiner on it 'twists' again? Think I will definitely be bringing that up with my ortho too. Im not happy paying £2400 if my teeth move even with the retainer!

Sorry this post wasn;t meant to be an essay!- Thanks for reading!

Sarah x :lol:

braceface1230

#15 Post by braceface1230 »

Sounds like a horrible thing to have to deal with.... always on the verge of puking :cry: Hopefully he'll set you up with an Essix instead. Plus, with that one tooth that's moving, they can make adjustments on the retainer itself to fix that. I hope it works out. Definately keep us posted.