When Could You First See Your Teeth Had Moved?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ingyandbert

When Could You First See Your Teeth Had Moved?

#1 Post by ingyandbert »

It's only been 3 weeks since I've been braced (feels like 3 months). I can feel that my teeth have shifted based on changes in my bite and spacing differences when flossing, but visually nothing looks any different. I'm wondering how long it was before you could visually SEE that your teeth looked different. (I didn't need any extractions so that probably means it takes longer to see a difference).

snowbunny

#2 Post by snowbunny »

You sound as bad as me. Bet you're always looking in the mirror to see if they have moved. I know I am! I too notice the little changes when flossing. I'm constantly peering in the mirror..this has to stop. I just want them to hurry up and move!
Upper metals on 10th Feb 2006
Estimated treatment time 9-12 months

ingyandbert

#3 Post by ingyandbert »

See, that's the thing. The changes I can feel aren't small. Spaces that used to be easy to floss are so tight now the floss can barely make it without shredding. Places that used to be tight are now roomy to floss. But nothing actually LOOKS different!

Way Too Old For This

#4 Post by Way Too Old For This »

At one month, I didn't think mine looked like they had moved until I took a picture and compared it to 'before'. If they feel like they have moved, they they have moved.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

I noticed changes right away. I had bad crowding on my lower arch and the first day I had my braces on I was sitting at my desk and I heard (and felt) this "snap"! It was my teeth moving! Because they were crowded they were trying to get around each other and they made noise doing it. So bizarre.

Anticipator

#6 Post by Anticipator »

I'm pretty much the same as you. I'm feeling the hange more than seeing them.

The two changes I've seen have come in the last two or three weeks, and they're both much more minor than I'd expected after seeing how "quickly" everyone elses pictures seem to come in their progress pics.

My bite has changed so that my top teeth no longer hit the bottom brackets in front, and my lower front teeth have straightened just a bit.

Nothing dramatic though at the month and a half mark, just continuing in the right direction slowly but surely.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

Samantha08

#7 Post by Samantha08 »

It took maybe like 3 or 4 weeks for me to notice a major change. My teeth have moved FAST!
Estimated Time: 15-18 months

ingyandbert

#8 Post by ingyandbert »

Anticipator wrote:I'm pretty much the same as you. I'm feeling the hange more than seeing them.

The two changes I've seen have come in the last two or three weeks, and they're both much more minor than I'd expected after seeing how "quickly" everyone elses pictures seem to come in their progress pics.

My bite has changed so that my top teeth no longer hit the bottom brackets in front, and my lower front teeth have straightened just a bit.

Nothing dramatic though at the month and a half mark, just continuing in the right direction slowly but surely.
Same here. At first, I couldn't touch my molars together on the right side and now it's the opposite -- I can on the right but not on the left. And my top teeth are not hitting on my bottom braces quite as much as before. BUT I STILL CAN'T SEE ANY CHANGES!!! LOL!

Samantha, I hope once things get well underway my teeth will move quickly like yours did!

brat 2

#9 Post by brat 2 »

I started noticing changes in the first few weeks. Small changes, like you said, when I flossed. I have had my top braces on for 3 months and they have moved alot. My top teeth used to hit my bottom teeth when I bit down and now they are not even close to hitting each other.

You won't notice the change as much as other people will, because you are looking in the mirror evey day and looking to see if they have moved. (If you are like me)

It's hard to be patient isn't it :?: I know I am not patient at all, I want them to be straight right now :!:
upper metal braces applied November 8th, 2005
lower metal braces applied February 23rd, 2006

BracesAt42

During Week 3

#10 Post by BracesAt42 »

I was able to see (and feel) movement in my teeth during week 3 of having my braces. I had two teeth on my lower arch (right in front -- don't know the numbers) which were overlapping -- the front one was at a 30 degree or so angle in front of the adjacent one.

This was the first "hot spot" in my mouth that required wax -- I remember on Day 2 of being braced that I had to put wax in this area since the brackets were scraping my bottom lip. I soon got used ot this routine of wax in that area, and then about the third week of having braces, I didn't put wax on after brushing, and found that my braces were not irritating my bottom lip! Well, I look more closely and realized that the 2 teeth had realigned and were no longer overlapping!

That was a great motivator and reassurance that I had made the right decision to get braced.
Yep, Braces at Age 42!
Damon 2's
Braces On: 9-18-2003
Braces Off: 7-13-2005

mm92280

#11 Post by mm92280 »

I'm glad you asked this one. I am getting Damon 3's on Thursday and was going to ask how quickly the Damon 3 users had seen results.

Flora2006

#12 Post by Flora2006 »

brat 2 wrote:It's hard to be patient isn't it :?: I know I am not patient at all, I want them to be straight right now :!:
Same here lol. I have no patients!! I was expecting changes the next day!!! I haven't really seen any changes and it's been a month...I do feel a change in bite though

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

hannah164

#13 Post by hannah164 »

I guess through this experience I have had to develop some patience! :shock: :roll: I saw movement immediately because of a huge gap that had been powerchained! :) But after that not a lot of movement for a long time! :cry: I had to wait a whole 18 months just to get bottom braces! :shock:

Good luck in seeing some movement!

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Last Adjustment was 2/1/06 where they bonded a bracket to my cuspid, which was impacted!!!! OUCH!

dena

#14 Post by dena »

i saw movement within the first 10-14 days. i had SIGNIFICANT change in the first 5 weeks...basically my top teeth straightened out completely. my bottom teeth don't loook like they've moved at all in two weeks though.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

ssfw

#15 Post by ssfw »

I have an expander only right now to correct my crossbite. I saw minor movement after 1 week.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08