Anyone else having braces the same time as their kids?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Way Too Old For This

Anyone else having braces the same time as their kids?

#1 Post by Way Too Old For This »

My daughter and I are both going to the same orthodontist. She is 26. I was just wondering if anyone else is sharing this experience with their kids. We are always giving each other sympathy about sensitive teeth or sore cheeks. She started a couple of months after me, so with any luck we will be getting them off at the same time. We plan to have professional photos taken !
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Brandyleigh35

#2 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

My Son is 13 1/2 and I"m 41. We were both scheduled to get our braces put on Monday the 13th. I went in today to have my spacer replaced and they decided to brace me today! So.....he gets his next Monday, and I officially have mine.

Yes I think its neat that we are both having them at the same time. He thinks its cool too. Just to have someone who can relate to the whole ordeal or to share it with is nice. We are having a contest to see who gets theirs off first!

Brandy

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

Yes, I'm 46, my daughter is 13. I got mine a few weeks before her. I will be willing to be she will get hers off first.

Echo

#4 Post by Echo »

My 15 year old son had his braces for almost a year when I got mine. I probably never would have gotten braces if it wasn't for me taking him to the ortho all the time. It made me start wondering about getting braces. I have never needed braces, but I always felt my front teeth stuck out a little (they didn't look like they did, but it felt like it in my mouth). I pretty much just wanted perfect teeth, so I went for a consult and he said I could benefit from full braces. Since my insurance pays half and the total was $2000, I decided to go for it. The braces don't bother me at all, but I do hate wearing the elastics I just got! Anyway, I could have gotten away with never having braces, but I think it will be nice to have perfect teeth!
[/url]

Dadio

#5 Post by Dadio »

I'm also braced for the same time frame as my daughter. I'm 46 and she's 11. We were both braced on 10/6/05 and have an estimated 20 months in braces. She got her bottom braces last month, I get mine next week on the 14th. I've needed work on my bite for years and she needed to go, so that's how we ended up doing this together.

Dadio

#6 Post by Dadio »

Drats, shouldn't post until I'm at the proper caffeine level! I'm actually still 45, I've got until late March until I'm 46.

mtb_nwbraces

#7 Post by mtb_nwbraces »

My youngest son and I have done this all the way together. He is 18 and I’m 42. He should be getting his off in March or April :lol: I hope to get mine off someday? :cry:
Braced - Jan 6th 2005
Full Metal Brackets
Teeth released from Bondage - July 25th 2006

i814u2c

#8 Post by i814u2c »

My 11 yr old son was told today that maybe in June he will get his. Just waiting for his canines to drop down. My 12 yr old daughter is still waiting for her last 4 baby teeth to come out. Soon all 3 of us will be braced.
37 YR F METAL TOP AND BOTTOM
TOP ON OCT 04
BOTTOM ON DEC 04

Way Too Old For This

#9 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Looks there are a few of us doing this with our kids. When I went to visit some relatives in Oklahoma last October I only had my braces for a few weeks, and when I arrived two of my cousin's kids greeted me with their new braces. I was feeling like mine were such a big deal, but they were kind of inspiring how they took them for granted.

Now if I could just get my twin brother to do it with me !
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

brat 2

#10 Post by brat 2 »

My 12 year old daughter and I, 36 years old, are doing it together too. She got her braces put on 4 months before me, but she has to wear hers for 2 1/2 years and I only will wear mine for 2 years. So they will come off months within each other. We are also getting our bottom brackets put together on the 23rd.

We are going to have a feast of pizza the night before since it will be a while before we will be able to eat it again.

Its nice having someone to share the experience with and I can't think of anyone better to share it with than my daughter :D .
upper metal braces applied November 8th, 2005
lower metal braces applied February 23rd, 2006