i wanna pull this damn rpe expander off!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

airxjordan24

i wanna pull this damn rpe expander off!

#1 Post by airxjordan24 »

i hate this damn expander! it's ruining my social life. i do not want to go out and i do not want to talk because of this damn expander. My speech is dramatically affected by it. The doc says my speech is suppose to improve as the days go on, but i'm on my 5th day, and it hasnt improved much. I'm looking at 6 months with this thing on :cry: how did you all manage to survive with this torture device?

excuse me now, as i go hide under a rock now :oops:
1/21/06 - spacers and brackets
1/25/06 - 2 lower biscupids extracted
1/30/06 - lower archwire
2/13/06 - expander on uppers

braces-boy

#2 Post by braces-boy »

Don't feel so bad, it get's easier with time, in a week or two you will feel better, I didn't think I would, but I did. :thumbsup:

ssfw

#3 Post by ssfw »

Hi airxjordan24,

You will adjust to the expander. I have had mine for 1 month. My speech was better after 1 week but was alot better after 2 weeks. It really is better to talk more to get use to the expander. Try to talk a bit slower - that really helps. I will have to wear mine for at least 9 months and feel if this is going to help my teeth get the orthodontic correction it needs then I'm fine with that. I'm not saying I enjoy having it, but I'm use to it. I am amazed at how it does move the teeth in such a short time.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

secretagent437

#4 Post by secretagent437 »

Don't worry about anything! People do have worse than an expander. I had an expander for quite a while and yes, you get used to it. Just keep it cool and wait it out. In the end everything will turn out just fine. Hope you get through your troubles.

-Joe
Joe