Longest time in braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tklein22000

Longest time in braces

#1 Post by tklein22000 »

Hello,

a friend of mine told me that she knows someone wearing his braces for almost 5 years now. This seems a very long period of time to me! How long have you guys been wearing your braces? I believe when someone jas to wear braces for so long, then something most gone wrong in the treatment, but I'm not sure...

drazda

#2 Post by drazda »

I knew a girl in middle school that said she had her braces for 7 years. I have no idea why.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

airxjordan24

#3 Post by airxjordan24 »

if oyu dont follow your doc's orders it could possibly extend the duration. My brother when he had braces was on for about 3-4 years. He missed a few appointments, broke a few brackets, etc. so just follow everything your doctor says, and you should be fine.
1/21/06 - spacers and brackets
1/25/06 - 2 lower biscupids extracted
1/30/06 - lower archwire
2/13/06 - expander on uppers

gunter8888

#4 Post by gunter8888 »

My iwfe had hers, as a teenager, for 4 years. Some of the delay has to be attributed to the fact that she was not good about wearing her headgear. :wink:
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

gunter8888

#5 Post by gunter8888 »

My wife had hers, as a teenager, for 4 years. Some of the delay has to be attributed to the fact that she was not good about wearing her headgear. :wink:
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

tandi

#6 Post by tandi »

when i got my braces on last week i told a women at my job that i should have them on for about 2 1/2 years. she told me that's what the ortho told her daughter 5 years ago and she's still wearing them.

ingyandbert

#7 Post by ingyandbert »

I knew someone years ago in high school who had braces for 4 years and her teeth and bite were still not right. Her teeth had been kind of a mess to start with and they just never moved in the way the ortho kept trying to force them. The ortho offered her to either quit where she was (which was close to being properly corrected) or start over at the ortho's own expense. Her parents said it was her decision. She elected to start over and had to have her palate broken. That was a gutsy thing for an 18 year old to do. I moved away and never heard how it turned out in the end.

Evelyn

#8 Post by Evelyn »

Treatment can vary so much, some people are really lucky and have them on for a couple months, and others have them on for years. I've had mine for 3 1/2 on March 9th.

I just want to add something though, just because a person has theirs on for a longer period of time it doesn't mean that they've been bad with their braces. Sure, missing appointments and breaking brackets can definately slow things down, but anybody can get a four year treatment, and it's completely normal and doesn't necessarily mean that you've been lax with your braces.

I've never missed any appts and I've only broken one bracket in the 42 months I've had these. I wore my rubber bands as directed and had surgery on time...it's just luck of the draw I guess-that's just the way the cookie crumbles

Anyway I'm so blessed in so many other aspects of my life which more than make up for it

Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

Flora2006

#9 Post by Flora2006 »

I know a lot of people who had them for about 4 years....one girl I used to know kept telling me every month that she was getting her braces off...and that lasted for about 7 months. My ortho BETTER not push it that far lol

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

kirst1583

#10 Post by kirst1583 »

Evelyn wrote: I just want to add something though, just because a person has theirs on for a longer period of time it doesn't mean that they've been bad with their braces. Sure, missing appointments and breaking brackets can definately slow things down, but anybody can get a four year treatment, and it's completely normal and doesn't necessarily mean that you've been lax with your braces.
Thanks for adding that. I was thinking the exact same thing. I've had mine just over 2 and 1/2 yrs now (when the estimate was originally 2) and have done everything I was supposed to. No broken brackets at all and i've worn my elastics religiously. I guess some teeth are just stubborn and unfortunately mine fall into that category! :roll:

hannah164

#11 Post by hannah164 »

I have some friends who have had their braces for 5 years and are still going! :shock: There is this ortho nearby who on average, keeps people in braces for up to 5 years! Such a perfectionist! :roll:

My ortho told me that I should have braces for at least 4 years! :shock: I know its going to take longer though! My teeth are only starting to straighten out and in some areas they're starting to get worse after 22 months! :roll: It took my ortho 18 months to decide to finally put on bottom braces! I haven't even bothered asking my ortho how much longer I'll be in braces, he'd totally laugh and point out everything that is still wrong with my teeth!

Just Like Eve, even if you do everything you should sometimes your treatment is still much longer than originally planned for! :(

Good luck!

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Last Adjustment was 2/1/06 where they bonded a bracket to my cuspid, which was impacted!!!! OUCH!

Cissa

#12 Post by Cissa »

I got mine on in November of 2001, and they're still on. I was never given an estimate or anything, and in my personal opinion my teeth weren't that bad to start. I had a slight overbite and my right front top tooth was overlapping the one next to it, and that was about it.

Sometimes I attribute it to the nurses. One will try to do something, the other will correct her, but they continue anyway. It's quite an adventure each time I walk into that office.

tklein22000

#13 Post by tklein22000 »

kirst1583 wrote:
Evelyn wrote: I just want to add something though, just because a person has theirs on for a longer period of time it doesn't mean that they've been bad with their braces. Sure, missing appointments and breaking brackets can definately slow things down, but anybody can get a four year treatment, and it's completely normal and doesn't necessarily mean that you've been lax with your braces.
Thanks for adding that. I was thinking the exact same thing. I've had mine just over 2 and 1/2 yrs now (when the estimate was originally 2) and have done everything I was supposed to. No broken brackets at all and i've worn my elastics religiously. I guess some teeth are just stubborn and unfortunately mine fall into that category! :roll:
Hey, I didn't want to say that the long treatment time is the fault of us braces wearers. Sorry if it soundet so.... I rather thought of mistakes of the doctors when a treatment takes such a long period of time because I think it is not usually to be braced for over 4 or 5 years, there might be happened mistakes in the treatment perhaps...

kirst1583

#14 Post by kirst1583 »

That's ok. I just wanted to make sure people were aware that many factors could contribute to how long the braces are on.
Your post was fine though. :wink:

tklein22000

#15 Post by tklein22000 »

It must definitely be a great great feeling when you got off the braces after years and see white and perfect aligned teeths. Thats the only possible thing in having them on for a long period of time. But I can imagine that the braces become a part of ourselves after a long time and we even don't notice them anymore. Do you often get questions from friends why you need the braces so long and not only for one to two years?